Dano62
Super Bowl Sunday Storm 2/4-5

WiseWeather

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

us_model-en_modez_2018020212_51_480_155.png

At 10AM EST (9AM CST), my maps show the 850 0 deg line up around Roanoke...so, I guess this map is saying there is some snow in the preceding hour in the NC mtns.  At any rate, there is a lot of warming on the Euro as the storm moves in, for all areas.  I suppose if the precip comes in early and forcefully, you could see a few inches accumulate in some mtn areas, but there is potential also for it to be a quick hit of snow with transition to mostly rain there

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

At 10AM EST (9AM CST), my maps show the 850 0 deg line up around Roanoke...so, I guess this map is saying there is some snow in the preceding hour in the NC mtns.  At any rate, there is a lot of warming on the Euro as the storm moves in, for all areas.  I suppose if the precip comes in early and forcefully, you could see a few inches accumulate in some mtn areas, but there is potential also for it to be a quick hit of snow with transition to mostly rain there

At 18Z it’s 32 degrees in the immediate foothills per the Euro. So it’s definitely trending colder, as most CAD events do prior to go time. 

6 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

At 18Z it’s 32 degrees in the immediate foothills per the Euro. So it’s definitely trending colder, as most CAD events do prior to go time. 

Yeah, Euro has been almost torchy for this the last 3-4 days, so to see it getting colder is a good sign for mischief! Plus that map Grit posted is 10 AM, a lot happens before then, especially in more western sections!

8 hours ago, NEGa said:

while It’s not really a “big” storm it looks like a lot of places will see some frozen precip Saturday night into Sunday morning. I am but t surprised that there isn’t a bit more chatter about this.  Depending on temps and dew points into Saturday night we could see a mix to freezing rain - and it’s not that far out. If the hires models start picking up on this we could have an interesting Saturday night 

Looks like you  probably end up with a decent event.  Initial conditions are cold....especially at your elevation...probably will be close to freezing or  maybe even below freezing when it starts per 950mb temps.  Nam showing temps at 12z sunday in the upper 20s up to 950mb for your location..with temps warming to 33 by 15z...which is probably overdone of course by at least a couple of hours...but even if accurate, models in general show 0.50 to 0.75 by then. You are also lucky in that it looks like it should start as a brief period of snow too. 

I'm fairly confident that areas from gainesville and along/north of 85 will see a moderate event..(edit to add for clarification...thinking 0.10 to 0.20) ..but think only minor icing down this way/athens area (0.10 or less) ..mainly because the depth of the cold layer is a fair bit shallower than just to the north if the nam's soundings are right...plus surface temps/wetbulbs are warmer/marginal. However, the nam is a bit warmer than the canadian, icon and gfs with  temps before precip arrives. All  are several degrees colder which makes a big difference if there will be any freezing rain south of 85. But even if they are more correct, the depth of the cold layer probably means only minor icing (if any at all) down this way before going to all rain by 9am.  Even if temps technically are slightly below freezing longer, the depth and max temp of the warm layer means the rain drops will be so warm that not much of it would freeze. Fortunately i'll likely be in gainesville anyway.   Looks like an all rain event for atlanta...with maybe some  minor icing down to the far northeast burbs as is typical. 

But From hall county northeastward....temps aloft and the surface cold layer are deep enough and cold enough it looks like some respectable glazing appears likely. 

Really curious how the icon does with this system.  I haven't noticed much of a cold bias with it yet but it's been colder down this way consistently for several runs...6 degrees colder in fact at 03z sunday (33) vs the nam (39) and 3 degrees colder than the gfs (36). Interesting the gfs is actually several degrees colder than the nam  before precip starts yet ends up warmer than the nam after precip starts. Gfs really leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. It shows very little temp response to evap cooling...in fact ZERO down this way. 

This will be a fun one to watch play out... I could see it turning in to a pretty big ice-storm considering the time of day/dew points/heavy quick arriving precip. 

Wedge signature is weak to non-existent though, That's something that could still trend a little stronger.  The models generally do a poor job picking up on lee-side in-situ CAD from quick arriving precip in to a cold-dry airmass. You can see the boundary created here from the in-situ wedge, just need it to trend stronger with a more noticeable Northeast breeze. 

This when will come down to now casting, and could be anywhere from a non-event to a warning criteria ice event, IMO.

wind48.gif

any freezing rain would of course be self limiting since you can clearly see on that map there is no source of cold dry our to our north, but if we wetbulb down to 29 or 30 degrees as the heavy precip moves in, that could still lay down .25+ of ice accretion before we hit 32.

16 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

When's the next NAM run? 4pm?

Nam is weaker with the northern wave this run. Less precip and delayed somewhat out to 35.

Well I take that back somewhat. Nam is extremely juiced up at 42. Will post a map here in a second. Doesn't want to go as crazy with the northern wave, which will help with the wedging if you are looking for snow and or ice.

Latest  NWS for my area.

SATURDAY NIGHT...Cloudy. Snow and sleet likely after midnight.
Little or no snow and sleet accumulation. Not as cool with lows
around 30. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation
70 percent. 
.SUNDAY...Sleet, snow with a chance of freezing rain in the
morning. Rain. Light snow accumulation. Highs in the lower 40s.
Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation near
100 percent. 

Archived