SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Bowl Sunday Storm 2/4-5

WiseWeather

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hunch this thing overperforms on QPF looking at early returns across the gulf coast.  Temps rise quicker for most outside of the lees but somebody from Morganton/Hickory to ROA is about to get schmacked with ice.  I think by the time we see ice accruals here in the triad the temps will already be boarderline and melting.

Edit- just saw the RGEM after I posted....makes it more interesting for the northern I40 corridor for sure but I still think rates are gonna warm this up quick.  Not gonna wait up for a little ZR storm.  

7 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Frosty, has this individual been involved in cad type setups then? They are nothing to mess with. The same way the cold air funnels down the appalachians and then refuses to budge is the same way events happened when I still lived in CT. The cold air would funnel down the St Lawrence Valley and literally get trapped and could not get out. As Disc alluded to and I asked to have confirmation, even if it is overdone by 1/2 of the total, for me I would still be looking at 1/2'' of ice accretion. That is devastating to this area and areas further to my southwest, namely Mack and Burrell, etc.. I would tread very careful when overthinking cad setups. They are unreal to forecast. The problem with the HRRR that I have little knowledge on is cannot pick up on the shallow boundaries, whereas it cannot see the low level cold as some of the other models and such can. Just my two cents on the whole thing.

But just to note again, 1/2 inch of liquid won't equal 1/2 inch of ice - https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50903-super-bowl-sunday-storm-24-5/?do=findComment&comment=4806899

GFS never has and never will nail a CAD event. I think the bulk of the ice accretion will come from the earlier lighter precip that falls and once heavier precip rolls in it will be hard to pile it on (even sitting at 32). Down my way, I'm thinking around .15 to .2 on tree limbs, leaves, rails etc..would really like to hear some pingers early in the AM 

Guys, I just wonder about temps. Ive been stuck at 35-36 for hours now and precip is hauling arse toward us. Almost like theres not enough time to have temps adjust downward with clouds, etc.. Just curious what the models are seeing if temps are maybe a little warmer than what we thought they might be at this juncture.

14 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Guys, I just wonder about temps. Ive been stuck at 35-36 for hours now and precip is hauling arse toward us. Almost like theres not enough time to have temps adjust downward with clouds, etc.. Just curious what the models are seeing if temps are maybe a little warmer than what we thought they might be at this juncture.

Or the models have been right and ppl keep saying they’re wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

But your dewpoint is 8, so you're going to see surface temperatures drop below freezing once precip moves in.  Here is the latest surface wet-bulb temperature map.  Sfc wet bulb cold is entrenched at the moment, but NE winds are confined to the western SC upstate into NE GA...so there's an obvious battle here between in situ damming and warm air advection putting pressure on the limited damming as we go into tomorrow morning.

02KftRM.png

18 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

You'll cool once precip starts. DP's are 10 to 12 right now. Wet bulb is probably around 28 degrees.

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

But your dewpoint is 8, so you're going to see surface temperatures drop below freezing once precip moves in.  Here is the latest surface wet-bulb temperature map.  Sfc wet bulb cold is entrenched at the moment, but NE winds are confined to the western SC upstate into NE GA...so there's an obvious battle here between in situ damming and warm air advection putting pressure on the limited damming as we go into tomorrow morning.

02KftRM.png

Thanks for the input Grit! Much appreciated.

Learned a new word tonight via GSP's morning discussion, juxtapose.  They are mentioning bust potential, the good kind, if you like ice!

Heaviest precip
will generally be where temps remain warmer, but there is a bit of
uncertainty across areas just north of the I-85 corridor especially
across the Upstate where the combination of heavier rates and insitu
damming may juxtapose for a more significant icing event than we
have forecast. For now have continued wording of around or just
under 0.10" ice but just putting it out there that there is
concerning bust potential.

51 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Light snow here for the last 20 minutes...i repeat light.

Started as all rain here...temp dropped fast. Went back up to 36 before it started but in 20 to 25 minutes its down to 31...light icing on cars  now,

Upstream  saw 6 and 7 degree temp falls with less impressive dewpoints...given lower dewpoints here 29 or 30 still looks good.

Edit...probably closer to 30 based on current dps.

25 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Started as all rain here...temp dropped fast. Went back up to 36 before it started but in 20 to 25 minutes its down to 31...light icing on cars  now,

Upstream  saw 6 and 7 degree temp falls with less impressive dewpoints...given lower dewpoints here 29 or 30 still looks good.

Edit...probably closer to 30 based on current dps.

Wow...nice

Mostly rain here now down to 35/22

Archived