SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Bowl Sunday Storm 2/4-5

WiseWeather

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So those 3km NAM maps above showing "total accumulated freezing rain (in)"...does anyone know how that translates to ice accrual?  I know ice accrual depends on many factors, but if you just take a climo/normal/stock accrual rate, I wonder how QPF in inches calculates to actual ice accrual...anyone know?  0.10 to 0.25 QPF is not very much for ice accural

8 minutes ago, griteater said:

So those 3km NAM maps above showing "total accumulated freezing rain (in)"...does anyone know how that translates to ice accrual?  I know ice accrual depends on many factors, but if you just take a climo/normal/stock accrual rate, I wonder how QPF in inches calculates to actual ice accrual...anyone know?  0.10 to 0.25 QPF is not very much for ice accural

Good question...and would the rates be different for sleet vs. freezing rain?  Either one is bad, but great question

For freezing rain it all depends on rates and temperatures. If it’s 30-32 and rates are light you can get a good bit of accrual but if rates are heavy and temps marginal then very little will actually freeze. The 3km nam seems to indicate heavy rates so I would say less than a tenth for most. 

2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I hope it verifies, But I think all forecasters are discounting it, A Met told me earlier that it was too cold........ I hope the RGEM prove them wrong!! lol

Me too. 

That CAD is hard to move once it sets in. 

We are real close to blue ridge Parkway, Hillsville Galax. It's usually around 8-10 degrees cooler up there.I know there are times when the CAD is set up it will be warmer up there than in Mt Airy. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Me too. 

That CAD is hard to move once it sets in. 

We are real close to blue ridge Parkway, Hillsville Galax. It's usually around 8-10 degrees cooler up there.I know there are times when the CAD is set up it will be warmer up there than in Mt Airy. 

Yes, I've seen that many times also! About the only time i'm glad I don't live up there!! lol

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

So what if the RGEM/CANADIAN/3K NAM are right? All 3 are pretty moderate to significant. 

The QPF that is freezing rain on the NAMs is quite light.  The RGEM is showing moderate freezing rain QPF amounts...it's on an island really. 

The overall setup to me favors the light icing scenario.  Retreating sfc high moving east off the coast, in situ CAD, warm air from the SW overwelming as the system progresses

4 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

Will this be more ip or zr?  If ip then some travel issues.  If zr, then it modest travel issues and power issues to some degree. 

TW

SE of the mtns it's mostly freezing rain...heavy warm nose moves in quickly...then it comes down to how long the sfc can hang on below freezing.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

The QPF that is freezing rain on the NAMs is quite light.  The RGEM is showing moderate freezing rain QPF amounts...it's on an island really. 

The overall setup to me favors the light icing scenario.  Retreating sfc high moving east off the coast, in situ CAD, warm air from the SW overwelming as the system progresses

I'd say you're about right!!! 

2 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

The RGEM continues its longer duration of ZR, the 0z 3k NAM went up on Totals again... just curious, we can't discount what their showing can we? Even half of what they show would be a lot.

But it goes back to my question earlier.  If you have 0.1 to 0.25 of liquid on the 3km NAM, I don't think it will be a pure 1 to 1 of ice accretion (i.e. 0.2 of liquid won't be 0.2 inches of ice accretion I don't think....but I don't know for sure)...that's still on the light side though...RGEM is heavier

5 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Just throwing this out their, this is a different setup and storm, but this last one we had, we were only supposed to get 1-3" of snow and we ended up with 9". Just saying that to say, the last storm was not a great setup but definitely overperformed.

Only because the QPF really ramped up as we got closer.  Temps were very marginal and it took a lot of dynamic cooling to bring down the temps. We had great 850 and 925 temps to thanks for that.  We lost a decent amount of totals because of temps here.  Still overperformed but the temps did not  

The opposite happens with this storm. After the temp and dew point equalize it won’t cool anymore and the rain will warm the lower air as its falling through waa.  If there was a HP feeding cool air in to combat that this couldve been very bad.  

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Just throwing this out their, this is a different setup and storm, but this last one we had, we were only supposed to get 1-3" of snow and we ended up with 9". Just saying that to say, the last storm was not a great setup but definitely overperformed.

Agreed...overperforming seems to be the note lately...last night we were supposed to have about 3 hours of snow and it snowed from about 9PM to around 11AM today...have no data, but feel this is going to be an icy mess for foothills Charlotte NE to Guilford areas

Archived