Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1-2 Anafront wave disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Nothing for the VT mountains? They need it.

They get a couple more inches anyway...already have gotten 2-4 this morning in S VT.

Then they also may do well on Sunday/Monday...and I think they may do very well next week, as long as the Euro is a little too amp-happy, which it may be.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They get a couple more inches anyway...already have gotten 2-4 this morning in S VT.

Then they also may do well on Sunday/Monday...and I think they may do very well next week, as long as the Euro is a little too amp-happy, which it may be.

Heading to Killington tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Heading to Killington tomorrow. 

Kmart does well with the westerly flow...they'll prob get upslope enhancement with the FROPA...I'll bet they score at least 3"+ tonight...prob more...wouldn't be surprised at 4-6. The mesos really weenie out there tonight.

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the Greens get lit up tonight.

Good surface moisture, upsloping winds, some instability along the Arctic boundary. Some ski area will pull 4-6" tonight.

I've got 2-4" for Mansfield in squalls.  I like seeing BTV torch this afternoon in the valley.  Pool some moisture in there too.  

SVT has great upslope signal but also some mid-level forcing it seems that would put them in a good spot.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

RAP is dropping 3 in BOS...lol.

RAP is out of control on latest run. Some of these mesos are going nuts late tonight. Not totally off base though because even the 12z Euro kind of went wild (for that model's standards especially)

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kmart does well with the westerly flow...they'll prob get upslope enhancement with the FROPA...I'll bet they score at least 3"+ tonight...prob more...wouldn't be surprised at 4-6. The mesos really weenie out there tonight.

lol I should've read further.  Yeah someone gets 4-6" tonight.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looking like a great period upcoming for the southern Vermont mountains. Basically a perfect setup for that to be the jackpot area 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RAP is out of control on latest run. Some of these mesos are going nuts late tonight. Not totally off base though because even the 12z Euro kind of went wild (for that model's standards especially)

I have trouble buying much snow from this, regardless of modeling..these type of deals seldom end well.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have trouble buying much snow from this, regardless of modeling..these type of deals seldom end well.

There isn't going to be that much snow...it's more about the impact...rates and flash freeze. I doubt anyone really gets more than 3 or 4 inches...and that's prob for the elevated interior...but even 2-3" in a 3 hour burst with crashing temps will cause huge problems.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

There isn't going to be that much snow...it's more about the impact...rates and flash freeze. I doubt anyone really gets more than 3 or 4 inches...and that's prob for the elevated interior...but even 2-3" in a 3 hour burst with crashing temps will cause huge problems.

Yeah I could see a 4 or 5 spot in spots above 1000 feet that stay mainly snow.

For the valley spots seems like it's 1 or 2" of snow with a flash freeze. Ugly look. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

That is the thing....I highly doubt more than an inch or two outside of the hills.

Not taking the bait.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is the thing....I highly doubt more than an inch or two outside of the hills.

Not taking the bait.

You might be right...1-2 vs 2-3? not much difference...impact will be about he same if its a flash freeze though.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

True...I was thinking about that as I responded. :lol:

I mean, I don't disagree that the snow accums could be kind of meh...esp if this tries to shut off a little quicker. But even if they are, the flash freeze could be nasty. These are never easy to predict, but I'd def throw out a word of caution to folks. These are the types of events that are prob a bit better to warn the public about and have it pan out a little meh, vs downplaying it and having an absolute disaster early tomorrow morning.

I would usually hedge in the direction of hype to my clients when it was kind of high impact potential like this. Esp since they were mostly DOT clients...we saw what a sh**show even Tuesday morning was with a meh forecast and 4-7" of fluff caused. Disaster. This would be even more high impact because of the flash freeze potential.

And again, its possible maybe this just ends as a half inch of snow and a quick enough drying that the flash freeze is mitigated somewhat...we've seen that happen before. But the short term guidance is indicating the opposite trend.

Archived