Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

There was a paper written on Hadley cell expansion from global warming.  So there might be a link there. 

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00323.1

I just think it's teleconnected fairly well. Typical Nina and with the PV so far north, the cold in this case won't penetrate south unlike back on New Years. I am hopeful we can break that later this month, but we will see. 

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

28F OVC and very wintry. If someone down there wants this they can have it.

Was amazed at how beautiful it was in the Berks yesterday. From epic hoarfrosted trees shimmering in morning sun to ice slabs 3 and 4 feet deep lining the banks of the Deerfield to a foot of snow in the ground. Winter abounds very close and yes you can absolutely thank the EPO. Sucks being south of the gradient but absolutely worth a trip to reinvigorate the soul. Some stay all day in their house whining about brown grass others look out their window and soak in the beauty of a wintry scene, welcome to New England

The eps and GEFS are far apart with their AO, NAO and MJO predictions.

Eps basically delays the AO and NAO drop till the end of the month, while the GEFS is by the 17th. Also, EPS has the EPO going positive at month end while GEFS stays negative.

Both have the PNA negative.

Again, like a broken record I cannot believe that most of the area would not receive at least a moderate event by the end of March. The pattern will NOT be that hostile by EOM if the teleconnections are correct. That being said, part of me suddenly wants to see the shut out as it would be almost as anomalous as 89 90.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As sure as snow is white and grass is green , we can be sure Ginx will move onto Maine and his ski trip each year . This is way early for it though. Usually we don’t go thru this till early Morch, but with no winter in sight .. it begins. Hopefully it’s a good trip this year 

You should get out of Ct once in a while in the winter, trips to Tree house don't count. Much more sking before Maine, see you in VT next week?

2 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Ugh pattern is crap... Im almost ready to give up on this winter.. I got a 6 month old so a warm-up would be nice just to get outside more with him. :)

Ha, same for me. I have a daughter that is nearing 12 months. It would be nice to spend more time outside. I was not liking the extreme cold earlier this winter.

I recall a lot of talk back in December (if not earlier) about mid January through most of February being quite warm. Seems to have been a correct prediction. Now, will the general prediction that March might see the return of serious winter weather pan out? We shall see. Came to Maine to snowshoe in time for the warm up. We seem to have a knack for coming up here on the eve of a thaw! But with so much else to do, I'm not complaining. 

Let's hope March brings us some cold and snow. If not, I guess it not so big a deal when you get to be my age. I used to storm about and whine along with the best of them and it never once changed a damn thing. Perhaps there should be a twelve step program for weather weenies. Wouldn't hurt to recite the serenity prayer, at any rate.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I just think it's teleconnected fairly well. Typical Nina and with the PV so far north, the cold in this case won't penetrate south unlike back on New Years. I am hopeful we can break that later this month, but we will see. 

Sure.  But maybe a portion of its strength could be attributed.  Bermuda-Azores high has been over 8mb above normal from Dec 1st through now along with lots of mid latitude high pressure all over the NH.  

compday.k8NpfuINcz.gif

2 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I recall a lot of talk back in December (if not earlier) about mid January through most of February being quite warm. Seems to have been a correct prediction. Now, will the general prediction that March might see the return of serious winter weather pan out? We shall see. Came to Maine to snowshoe in time for the warm up. We seem to have a knack for coming up here on the eve of a thaw! But with so much else to do, I'm not complaining. 

Let's hope March brings us some cold and snow. If not, I guess it not so big a deal when you get to be my age. I used to storm about and whine along with the best of them and it never once changed a damn thing. Perhaps there should be a twelve step program for weather weenies. Wouldn't hurt to recite the serenity prayer, at any rate.

I thought I read a lot of people saying the first half of February being warm, but not crappy for the entire month which is what it is shaping up to be. 

By the time March comes it's time to have Kevin fire up the Spring/  Lesco thread because by then winter weather chances will be too few and far between.  Plus by then we will have surely read dozens upon dozens of tales of winter's past...Weenies roasting over warm February campfire, spinning yarns as they re-live the great storms of yore...Uggghhhh.  Then before we know it, April, The WORST New England month in the history of worst monts will be upon us. 

19 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I thought I read a lot of people saying the first half of February being warm, but not crappy for the entire month which is what it is shaping up to be. 

By the time March comes it's time to have Kevin fire up the Spring/  Lesco thread because by then winter weather chances will be too few and far between.  Plus by then we will have surely read dozens upon dozens of tales of winter's past...Weenies roasting over warm February campfire, spinning yarns as they re-live the great storms of yore...Uggghhhh.  Then before we know it, April, The WORST New England month in the history of worst monts will be upon us. 

You should take a ride up North you seem stressed 

Archived