Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Jerry's NAVGEM leaves us with a nice day. 

Oh believe me ... the secret deviant Schadenfreudean in me privately covets the clean whiff after 70 pages of devotion and people arguing their "storm" scenarios from a perspective of assumption ... if not entitlement. 

Alas, I don't think that will be the case here... just being sardonic -

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh believe me ... the secret deviant Schadenfreudean in me privately covets the clean whiff after 70 pages of devotion and people arguing their "storm" scenarios from a perspective of assumption ... if not entitlement. 

Alas, I don't think that will be the case here... just being sardonic -

Evil Tippy.

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I said Feb would have some balmy days, and the next storm window would open up in early March.....I'm not sure what more you want. Daily departures from November??

When I miss, I'm pretty honest about it.

I think your forecast for the winter was very good to excellent so far and even if March craps out you have to think about bad luck given the nao.   But I don’t think anyone could have predicted the level of touchiness during the last half of February.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think your forecast for the winter was very good to excellent so far and even if March craps out you have to think about bad luck given the nao.   But I don’t think anyone could have predicted the level of touchiness during the last half of February.

Well, the problem there is subjectivity....my fault because I don't mention numerical departures. Will address that next year, but sorry for OT. This thread is for the threat, not my outlook.

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not speaking for Will and ...probably petty distinctions here, but I suspect by polar he just means intermediate air ... which Canadian probably suffices.

But, anyway... what I am seeing across the last three days worth of cycles is that we have rotted air in the lower troposphere over the whole region as these mid-llv mechanics operate over head. The models don't have to be wrong about that, per se... but, seeing as the entire surface PP shows the ballast + is N of the area, that "to me" is a red flag. Thicknesses are around 534 from upstate NY to middle Main or even S of that axis a little bit... and north of that axis, there is higher surface pressure anchored by the arrive influences of a blocky -NAO and so forth.  That air is getting entangled in a deepening circulation .. I dunno. I don't buy these warm solutions combining that factor with dynamics at this time of year. 

Yeah when I say polar, I mean just your sort of stale Canadian airmass. When I mean much colder, I'll usually call it an Arctic high and not polar. 

The polar airmass should be cold enough as long as the Synoptics cooperate...obviously that is still a big if. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know Ryan is aware and it's not as "sexy" as snow, but tides are very high. Those stalled or retro depictions would be really...really bad on the coast. Unlike Jan 4, you would have much higher wave action I think.

Plus ... I mentioned this in other thread but the successive tides is the biggie...  You get that one with the lop overs and couple of hole punches in the causeways and shore roads here and there. But ... the interim low tide stays elevated ...such that the next one is one the big damage happens. 

Jan 4 was a one and done deal.  Impressive ...not trying to sell that short.. but it didn't have the stalled/maintenance aspect.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wow. Euro is ridiculous qpf. Heavy rain to nuking heavy snow. 

You know ... obviously we give a few minutes to absorb but it's just details again.

I still ...after all this ... think we are simply still dealing with a time slot of huge potential.

What that is may actually take < 48 hours to start getting a coherent picture. 

I wrote all this in that thread I started for this storm but ... folks aren't apparently interested in a focused thread. Okay, but ... this thing as 135 pages in it?  really

Archived