• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

So we are wrapping up a month that say many highs (Early month Blizzard) and lows (late month TORCH) but we have survived and are in the midst of our stormiest period of the season historically.  The pattern looks to be quite active as we enter the month with the PAC reigning supreme.  We have a small threat later this week to start the month that could be a refresher of sorts for some and wet for others.  After that we look towards 5-7th for a more significant storm coming up the coast.  Details still to be ironed out on that one.

Lets see where we go from here..... 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So we are wrapping up a month that say many highs (Early month Blizzard) and lows (late month TORCH) but we have survived and are in the midst of our stormiest period of the season historically.  The pattern looks to be quite active as we enter the month with the PAC reigning supreme.  We have a small threat later this week to start the month that could be a refresher of sorts for some and wet for others.  After that we look towards 5-7th for a more significant storm coming up the coast.  Details still to be ironed out on that one.

Lets see where we go from here..... 

Yeah as far as surviving, its pretty crazy how throughout this all there's been solid snow cover for the entire month of January.  The thaws could beat it down but the pack will not surrender.  Now time to start building again.

3 minutes ago, White Rain said:

It’s been a very poor snow pack year down here compared with recent years. Not the worst obviously but below average. It snows and then melts quickly and has been paltry for the most part when it’s stuck around.

December wasn't bad. Was pretty much full snow cover from the 9th onward though it never got really deep..did start to get a little bit of Swiss cheese right before the ice event. But yeah, the one time it finally started getting deep after the 1/4 storm, we torched about a week later and wasn't able to keep it going. 

Anyways, 00z NAM is pretty nice for Thursday night. But yeah...NAM. Esp after yesterday's performance. 

8 minutes ago, White Rain said:

It’s been a very poor snow pack year down here compared with recent years. Not the worst obviously but below average. It snows and then melts quickly and has been paltry for the most part when it’s stuck around.

Really?... for some reason I thought down into the ORH hills and western Mass had solid snow cover.  Didn't look it up though.  Bummer as I thought you guys had been running more wintry in a few events.  It hasn't been deep here but solid cover of 5-6" that you can walk on now.  Long time worth of 6-12 inch pack, basically all of January.  Not deep winter but something.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really?... for some reason I thought down into the ORH hills and western Mass had solid snow cover.  Didn't look it up though.  Bummer as I thought you guys had been running more wintry in a few events.  It hasn't been deep here but solid cover of 5-6" that you can walk on now.  Long time worth of 6-12 inch pack, basically all of January.  Not deep winter but something.

The recent torch melted most of what was remaining off. Snow cover days have been fine at ORH but the depths have not been able to really get going. Just that brief period after the 1/4 storm fell on top of the December snow. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Down here in the CT valley  after the massive torch we have only had a few days of solid snowcover during most of the second half of January. Most days have looked brown with some crusty piles in the woods and shade fading day by day. 

Would really make us western mass folks happy, as I’m only sitting with 25 inches on the season so far imby.

I’m at 25” too, about 9” below normal. No WSW’s yet. 5.5” was biggest event. Western folks need some love and the ski areas need it bad. It’s a loose granular icy mess on the hills. Gotta get the woods back in shape for tree skiing. Chances are if we win, the ski areas win. I like the trend last night that shifted the trough axis a bit west. Heck, I’d even take rain if it meant the mountains getting pounded. Of course I’d prefer a region wide pasting, but if we can’t all win, then bring it west.

Archived