Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Always amazed me too how those little 750 ft hills in NW RI NE Ct maximize qpf. David Valle of NWS wrote an excellent paper on the process.

Morch firehose storm . Pomfret to Union down to Tolland to Ashford . Remember that picture I posted that morning of 14” overnight and you were shocked 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's not out of the question that you get an Eastern jack somewhere E of Worcester then the other qpf max is way W into upstate NY. The GFS map had that depiction.  Too far away to worry though. 

Codfishsnowman will be seething as somebody 50mi from him pulls 5x his snow totals. 

try 10-20x , i might as well just close the shades and get out the razor blades lol

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, the majority of run will probably have under 4" of qpf...not every run will underestimate 

Well today every major model run has had some serious QPF... stuff that sort of pushes the boundary of what's possible in a 6-hour period for snow.  I would agree if the models were showing this set-up with like 0.1-0.5" panels but you've got the 3 major global operational models showing like 2" in 12 hour type QPF type possibility. 

Right now its hard to imagine those values are low.  Just seems to be pushing the boundaries of what's possible in a snowing atmosphere.

8 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

this is a great post, I have seen ssts much colder...a few years ago south of BI was 31-32f...the ssts are colder than dec but really are just about average at best

That graphic would lead one to believe they are not average, given that it shows positive anomalies.  More juice.

35 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I lived in Bristol Ct for that one and had a good 10 inches of heavy wet snow but years ago when I first got the KU book I saw this area had nothing or next to nothing, I drove up to Wolcott CT the day after the storm and there was about 18 inches otg (i am sure it had settled some too)

Elevation played big in that storm, I don't think there was much qpf out that way. It was beginning of Dec too, this is end of Feb beginning of March, could make a huge difference.

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

I typed in river road in agawam next to the ct river to find out the difference because i dont know any street in enfield by it....  

https://www.whatismyelevation.com

Yeahour elevation sucks for a lot of events here, I see it all the time, I bet we don’t see more than 4 inches from this next storm 

On 2/23/2018 at 12:16 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Got that 2013 vibe heading into March. We will deal with a highly anomalous pattern, models will suck. Look at the animated DT PVU  pressure and wind and how that west wind abruptly turns east. Buckle up kids and for God's sake don't take anything the GFS puts out at the surface verbatim

gfs_DTpres_us_44.png

Bump for the GFS huggers

Archived