Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Really impressive AO flux over the next week. Just goes into the tank and then rebounds sharply after next weekend.

We do start getting a bit of a western ridge in the 11-15 so I think that will end up prolonging winter threats. We still have residual higher heights too up around Hudson Bay. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Some guidance has shown a more East west gradient to snowfall. We’ve seen it before, but it’s been a while. Something where Eastern ma rains and SW CT snows.

North of the pike is better, but I don’t think they are out of the woods by any stretch. Several runs over the last couple and illustrate how this could be a turd there as well. Respect the suck airmass.

Basically 2009 2010 season. SwCT with 133 % average snowfall for the winter.

In the Feb 2010 storm Greenwich received 15

Teleconnections are steady with a deep -NAO and AO reflection.

As time goes on the blocking relaxes but continues as negative while the PNA rises to neutral or slightly positive AND the EPO goes negative. If the 1st storm opportunity is suppressed it looks like a more favorable time slot will occur more towards mid month.

I for one would love a blizzard followed by record warmth through spring.

2 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Since 2000, everytime we have had a strong -NAO block March 1-7, -NAO is through the rest of the month on a strong magnitude of at least +150dm at 500mb over Greenland for the March 8-31 period. 5/5

2001, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013

Did those years produce any blizzards?

Archived