SnowHabit
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Why

When i see all time strongest NAO , i wonder does That not make sense, or at least could be a pattern where that is not unheard of.

I didn't say it's unheard of. I implied that I do not think it will happen. Just a bunch because of a hostile Pacific and the fact that we just whiffed on a HECS 2 years ago...usually doesn't happen in that rapid of a succession.

Additionally, the whiffs-mid atl specials usually occur in el Nino years, when the STJ is more prevalent. If you recall, I predicted in that outlook that that blizzard would have the largest impact on the mid atl for that reason.

La Nina? I'll bet against a big mid atl special.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I didn't say it's unheard of. I implied that I do not think it will happen. Just a bunch because of a hostile Pacific and the fact that we just whiffed on a HECS 2 years ago...usually doesn't happen in that rapid of a succession.

I feel like we whiff on a biggie to the south at least once or twice a winter, if not more, lol.

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Tamarack, Dryslot, PF, myself and many other NNEr’s still fear the mega strong -NAO after the 2010 debacle. 

You can extend that further south. The was a frustrating year for most members of our forum while further south got buried. I remember being on the northerly edge for some of those storms and getting 1-3 inches. Would prefer a whiff.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes 2010 sucked for all of SNE and NNE ALIKE.

NYC and south cleaned up historically that year.  Once North of NYC it was game over up this way, as well as NNE For obvious reasons.  Hope that isn’t in the cards to wrap up this season??  

It was still only a little below normal up here. It just felt worse missing all of the biggies and then getting rained on while NYC was dumped on.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It was still only a little below normal up here. It just felt worse missing all of the biggies and then getting rained on while NYC was dumped on.

Oh absolutely...agreed!!  Same here. We needed everything to be about a 100 miles north for SNE that Feb and early March,  to be in the big game.  But it couldn’t get in here.  

38 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes 2010 sucked for all of SNE and NNE ALIKE.

NYC and south cleaned up historically that year.  Once North of NYC it was game over up this way, as well as NNE For obvious reasons.  Hope that isn’t in the cards to wrap up this season??  

SW CT did well too. I lived in Norwalk at the time and had 134% of average snowfall. 

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’ve always been into it but my interest has grown as I have gotten more involved in weather dependant activities such as golf and snowmobiling. 

Us sledders gotta stick together lol...hoping for one more trip to N. Aroostook around March 9th or so?? 

So I’m hoping March brings back a little more winter here...and keeps it going up there a few more weeks? 

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You probably did better than you remember. I remember Will showing a graphic that we ended up slightly above average. Just frustrated at what could have been.

I remember that winter very well...missed out on most that winter here.  And the stuff we did get, was the fringes of the good stuff.  

Archived