Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Long range stuff like EPS/ weeklies has lost the BN pattern, but does show storminess. So they’ll likely be lots of rain/ snow lines to track in Morch. Just don’t be expecting big events or all snow events . Not a great look with no cold 

So it's showing lots of small to medium storminess but no big storminess? 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

welp.. .I had my doubts, and heh, still do  ... but, if it comes to fruition, can't say I mind.

I sort of start checking out after the perennial solar nadir ends on February 10 anyway ... Slow at first, and if the season's magnificent, yeah, I'll put it away and celebrate in hypocrisy with y'all...  But my own variation on unrealistic dreams are already visualizing the warm season.  

Too bad the clocks aren't already moved ahead ... then we might actually enjoy that after work.  

This Euro run?  It's spring man. Not sure that's even arguable beyond the expectation that no model really does that well that far out. But it terms the warm up with more SE ridging and no west based-NAO ...  That'll even start greening open fields 

I could go with an early spring. Although coastal springs are horrible

12 minutes ago, 512high said:

Morning Scott, When you say "marginal", after say March 1st. , average Temps? Or see/saw?

The overall look is kind of "eh". The Pacific is crap, so not much cold to work with and we are battling a SE ridge. However if enough blocking develops we hopefully will see lows forced under us.  The 11-15 day is still a furnace over most of the central and eastern US.

Surprisingly, the GEFS and EPS have flipped.

The EPS is now stronger with the blocking, as well as a return to a negative EPO, while the GEFS went weaker with the blocking with a strongly positive EPO.

EPS has been the most steady (not saying its correct), while the GEFS has jumped to extremes.

I defer to the mets in this forum to opine on the effects on our weather.

Obviously not scientific but over the past 2 weeks I've seen some interesting signs that the animals think winter is over.  9 days ago - Great Blue Heron sighting.  7 days ago - possum poking around kitchen scraps in my garden.  6 days ago - fat ass raccoon waddling up my front walk.  Multiple dead squirrels in the road over the past week and finally today a flock of 20 geese heading north during my drive to work.  Never seen so much activity this early in the year.

16 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good chance '73-'74 was the year...absolutely putrid in Maine.

My 1st full winter in Maine - never saw a storm greater than 4.5" until 2nd week of April.  And the previous half-winter stunk as well.  Had a nice 7-8" storm a week after our Jan. 23 arrival and a wet mess in late Feb - 3 days of night time accum/daytime melt - and then winter was cooked, though we had plenty of miserable NNE spring wx.  No better than NNJ 1956-69, maybe not as good.

Archived