Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This I can agree with. I just looked at my event list and we’ve had a ton of .5-2” systems this year.

That is cool in November... not Feb.

I just logged in to say the same thing.  This is the iciest winter I can recall in terms of ice-rink-for-a-driveway mornings.

I'm in Groton, MA now with a nice long driveway and have gone through ten 40 pound bags of Ice Melt.  That's more than double what I remember using in prior years.

33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This I can agree with. I just looked at my event list and we’ve had a ton of .5-2” systems this year.

That is cool in November... not Feb.

other than the 20 you received in Jan? Lol you guys, do you know how rare a 12 inch storm is? our climo is typically made up of one or 2 8-12 a year and a bunch of littles. I have had a 12 and a 7 and a bunch of littles to get to 38, my climo is 52. Probably one more 8-12 in there. Typical stuff

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

other than the 20 you received in Jan? Lol you guys, do you know how rare a 12 inch storm is? our climo is typically made up of one or 2 8-12 a year and a bunch of littles. I have had a 12 and a 7 and a bunch of littles to get to 38, my climo is 52. Probably one more 8-12 in there. Typical stuff

Devil is in the details.  I think what Brett is saying is he'd rather see a wintry event (3-4") once a week as opposed to going weeks on end between that feature one larger event.

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well, not everyone lives where you do.

I'm at 34.5" of a 63" average.

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Eh..I'll take my spot over yours, regardless of what happens this season.

I have averaged 64.5 over the last 17 years so there is that, plus you apparently don't get wind and its flat. Nah I am good I will take my chances at missing out every once in a while.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have averaged 64.5 over the last 17 years so there is that, plus you apparently don't get wind and its flat. Nah I am good I will take my chances at missing out every once in a while.

And I've probably averaged more over that 17 years.

I'll take the extra foot annually.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah.... I’m not really complaining... just calling it like it is.

the next couple weeks look bleak.. sucks to waste peak climo.

Ive had a good winter overall so far, no doubt.

This winter has been decent, but if the ending fails, then it will take a hit in my book.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It will be interesting to see the EPS later, but I’m wondering if guidance is starting to get influenced by the split in the strat. There has been a tendency for higher heights up by the pole.

I would be pretty shocked if we don't see this manifest itself in the ensemble suites over the course of the next several days.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This winter has been decent, but if the ending fails, then it will take a hit in my book.

Yup. I don’t just look at final snowfall numbers either. How we got there matters IMO.

If I get a 20” storm... and an aggregate of 20” the entire rest of winter... not that great.

Hopefully the end of the month shows somebody promise

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn’t call it a meh winter, but I think it’s been frustrating at times which causes people to feel that way.  Any winter that had a 12”+ event certainly gets a boost from me. Last year was fortunate to have two of them. 

The multiple cutters after early January kind of pissed on the aesthetic appeal of this winter. But hopefully we can regain that later this month into early March.

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup. I don’t just look at final snowfall numbers either. How we got there matters IMO.

If I get a 20” storm... and an aggregate of 20” the entire rest of winter... not that great.

The end of the season was my hardest call, and I actually even worked that into the language of the outlook. I did call for the triumphant ending, but also communicated a greater level of uncertainty relative to the rest of the season.

The big start and lame middle were the easiest calls I have had in the several years that I have been doing this....well, that and the huge 2015 year....but the ending of this season represented a cross roads in my analog guidance.

I still say its a go-

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The multiple cutters after early January kind of pissed on the aesthetic appeal of this winter. But hopefully we can regain that later this month into early March.

Yup. The rains have made a fairly decent winter into a pretty poor one for me.  No depth.  No retention.  Lots of ice to deal with

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That was 2011-2012 for me.  One doozy in October then crap the rest of the way

20 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting... so you're looking for more consistent small events to get to average? Nickle's and dimes but more frequent rather than a 20" bomb?

Archived