Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Take what you can get. That's how you need to look at it. It's not ideal, but workable...esp inland.

If you consider taking cutters or whiffs and making them into 1-2" events as 'workable', I suppose you're right.  That's what we've experienced for several weeks now.  We meh our way toward March.

18.2/9

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

If you consider taking cutters or whiffs and making them into 1-2" events as 'workable', I suppose you're right.  That's what we've experienced for several weeks now.  We meh our way toward March.

18.2/9

I love how you punctuate tirades with a quiescent little temp drop lol

"This winter blows, life sucks and so doesn't everyone in it. Everyone claiming otherwise are degenerate pieces of $hit and should kill themselves!! Where in the #uck is my snow!!!!"

PS: 18.2/9 (Calm, subtle tone)

:lol:

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I love how you punctuate tirades with a quiescent little temp drop lol

"This winter blows, life sucks and so doesn't everyone in it. Everyone claiming otherwise are degenerate pieces of $hit and should kill themselves!! Where in the #uck is my snow!!!!"

PS: 18.2/9 (Calm, subtle tone)

:lol:

LOL.

17.9/8

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Wednesday still is in the cards, esp inland. May not be a small event either. 

I'm liking the look of that.....at this time range in a fast pattern though, caution is the way to go.  I'm flying out of BDL to MI that afternoon; hopefully no problems getting out if it plays out in a big way.

17.5/7

Just need 8 inches to get to average. Even though things don't look great I think sne can score a couple more times before the end of March. Next week does show on GFS and GGEM that we can get a couple inches before the flip to rain.

Even if they are a scattering of 1 to 3 inch events I want to be able to say "only 4 below average snowfall winters in 18 years!" Quite the accomplishment considering the previous 18 years.

22/7

This fast flow is something ... The wave mechanics that governs the Monday quick progressive system will be just nosing over land upon ...whatever it is NOAA uses to initialize the 18z model runs, today..  Prior to that particular interval ... those mechanics are rocketing over the ridge arc centered ~ 130 W.  To really drill into it ... one that knows what they are looking at could match satellite/WV loops against the modeling position and apparent potency to glean some sense of how well is the handling of that feature.   

So it comes on board this afternoon... prooobably more important for the 00z initialization (just a guess), than it will be for the 18z ... but if there is some form of handling/mophologies back east upon the 18z ...that wouldn't surprise me either.  Or ..neither ... perhaps the assimilation and interpolations ...or whatever satellite sounding techniques NOAA uses for the eastern Pac will prove sufficient. We'll see.. 

In any event, the fast flow then conveys said disturbance into the MV...where it seems to demise ...lost in the compression of the gradient saturated geopotential medium.  If for some reason it comes in stronger, however, that could change things for how that system emerges/handled over the EC.  A stronger system would not in this type of pattern curl toward the Lakes.. it would more like 'carve' farther east.  You need a N-S meridional flow already tending for stronger systems to feed-back in constructing a west position.. .When the flow is fast and flat, the waves are conserved the other way. 

The same sort of circumstantial limitations/deterministic headaches are also in place for that next ordeal long about next Wed/Thur.  

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

9 inches off the 12 we promised  4 days ago for the next 10, we hope Wed takes us to the top

I don't think your area is very representative, though....you have been in a good spot.

My area isn't either, at the other end of the spectrum with 1" during that same period, but the point is that for a good deal of the region its been underwhelming.

Archived