Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It also seems like this could correct E a bit, I'll be more interested tonight at 0z. Has potential to give the deep interior 6" of dense. 

The GGEM was in a good spot as it had the track east of the GFS, So yeah, Its still all up in the air at this point.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm pretty skeptical of a mainly rain event over the interior, at least....H5 is weakening upon approach. This will probably trend cooler.

Sharp trough with srfc low GOM origins. Pattern is still fairly progressive, but it's not the ideal snow look. Definitely could be interior deal.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

i am thinking CMC has the right idea, boundary layer is forced south. Pope the temps are perfect antecedant? not seeing 40s everywhere? upper 20s for most

I guess I should clarify - looks seasonably cold. About Normal in my book. So not good, but not terrible either. But "not good" isn't going to cut it for most of  SNE without a Canadian HP in place at go time....

GFS looks over-amped to me. Blend 50/50 0z Euro with 12z GFS for track/storm intensity...

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Sharp trough with srfc low GOM origins. Pattern is still fairly progressive, but it's not the ideal snow look. Definitely could be interior deal.

No, the pattern is marginal at best....but I don't see a mild, driving rainer, nor a blizzard. I Think the storm will be pretty unimpressive in general...but I'm not exactly on a role right now haha.

There's synoptic disagreement on the whole setup for Monday...the GGEM doesn't run a low through Quebec right before the system like the GFS does. Therefor, you'd hold a lot more cold in. The GFS manages to bring a lot of southerly flow out ahead of the low with that low sneaking to our north, so you have a less ideal airmass in place.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I guess I should clarify - looks seasonably cold. About Normal in my book. So not good, but not terrible either. But "not good" isn't going to cut it for most of  SNE without a Canadian HP in place at go time....

GFS looks over-amped to me. Blend 50/50 0z Euro with 12z GFS for track/storm intensity...

Agree that GFS is overamped.

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Anyone inland more than about 10-15 miles in SNE can snow pretty easily in an average early February airmass with no high to the north. It's going to be all about the mid-levels as is usual for the majority of interior SNE...if the mid-levels support snow, then it will snow. The coastline will have more issues though without a high.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's synoptic disagreement on the whole setup for Monday...the GGEM doesn't run a low through Quebec right before the system like the GFS does. Therefor, you'd hold a lot more cold in. The GFS manages to bring a lot of southerly flow out ahead of the low with that low sneaking to our north, so you have a less ideal airmass in place.

The GFS is probably right on that northern low.  It almost always seems to handle those better than any other model 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anyone inland more than about 10-15 miles in SNE can snow pretty easily in an average early February airmass with no high to the north. It's going to be all about he mid-levels as is usual for the majority of interior SNE...if the mid-levels support snow, then it will snow.

I don't disagree. But you're starting warm - even at the mid levels, and there's no backside CAD assist without even a feeble HP on the north/west side of this.

Basically this disturbance brings its environment with it, and in marginal areas you're relying on dynamic cooling for a weak system that's a fast mover...

I'm also favoring a track very close to SNE, based on ++NAO/neutral AO/+PNA  and South Stream short wave passing close to Gulf...

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I don't disagree. But you're starting warm - even at the mid levels, and there's no backside CAD assist without even a feeble HP on the north/west side of this.

Basically this disturbance brings its environment with it, and in marginal areas you're relying on dynamic cooling for a weak system that's a fast mover...

I'm also favoring a track very close to SNE, based on ++NAO/neutral AO/+PNA  and South Stream short wave passing close to Gulf...

I guess what I am saying is I don't care about a high to the north if the mid-levels are cold enough....if the mid-level track is somewhat inland, then that will skunk a lot of folks...even up to your area. But if it remains far enough east to keep the mid-level temps below 0C, then it will snow regardless of what the high looks like to the north....if you are within 10 miles of the coasts though in SNE, then the lack of the high could torch the boundary layer.

Ah ahahaha... oh man.. that's gotta be the best model run of the oper. GFS i've seen since 2015...  

there's like 5 chances for a 12" of snow on that sucker. 

pitty of none materialize but ...they are there.   

Not for not, the "active period" has been on the slates for while regardless of model type, so... probably more in line with general numeric potential more so than anything else, but man what an entertainer for the modeling lovers!   This is your run :) 

Archived