Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Surprise snowstorm hits SE MI, N OH, ON

michsnowfreak

2 hours ago, blackrock said:

This is the SAME old song and dance of the past decade. This map shows perfectly how the setup has been over and over and over. Muskegon...the synoptic snow abyss. I just don't get it.

This was the most amazing thing ever! I Live in Haslett and saw a heavy band just south of here. I decided to go drive and drove around the Okemos area all night.

I have never seen snow vary so much, by 330am there was 8 inches of snow right at Haslett and VanAtta Roads, but just a mile at my friends house there was 3 inches. This was the same all over, and about 2 miles south I measured 3.5 inches. I can't believe how narrow the main forcing band was. The snow varied substantially with extremely short distances. I measured 7 inches at 3am and just .25 miles away there was 4.75 inches. It was extremely bizarre.

I measured just over 13 inches in that narrow band at 10am! I only managed 4.5 inches about 3 miles north of there.

6 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

This was the most amazing thing ever! I Live in Haslett and saw a heavy band just south of here. I decided to go drive and drove around the Okemos area all night.

I have never seen snow vary so much, by 330am there was 8 inches of snow right at Haslett and VanAtta Roads, but just a mile at my friends house there was 3 inches. This was the same all over, and about 2 miles south I measured 3.5 inches. I can't believe how narrow the main forcing band was. The snow varied substantially with extremely short distances. I measured 7 inches at 3am and just .25 miles away there was 4.75 inches. It was extremely bizarre.

I measured just over 13 inches in that narrow band at 10am! I only managed 4.5 inches about 3 miles north of there.

Wow. Crazy! Enjoy your snowfall. :)

11 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

Wow that's amazing

2 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Pretty impressive. I had no idea of this until I just got on here and checked the forum. There’s approximately an inch IMBY (grass showing through)... went through Marshall and there’s a noticeable difference in the amount of snow on the ground. 

Yeah, there is. Warm ground due to the extended torchy days caused a lot of melting from below, but a nice 3.5" came down 

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Very similar to how LES can be so drastic from very short distances. 

Yes I remember some stories of some lake events in upstate ny where there will be feet in one area and almost nothing a few miles away.

But for a synoptic setup, unforecasted at that, it really seems weird!

7 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Unreal. That band had to be quite intense. It was essentially training over I69.

My cousin in Owasso picked up 12 inches.

Yeah, the snow was definitely about the heaviest ive ever seen. Visibility was near 0 and very well formed dendrites. I estimate it was snowing about 4 i/h at times, which is extreme.

On the precip total map posted, I'm just NW of where the top left corner of the "F" in Flint is, give or take. I measured 10.9" around 2:30 PM before I started shoveling and it was still snowing. All told, we probably made close to 12".

Add: Not bad for "a dusting to 2 inches" LOL. This is the second "overachiever" this winter here. Last one, as I recall, forecast 2-4" and we got around 9" IMBY. SEMI can get it's "spring on" any time now!

Archived