Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a weird pattern evolution. I really don't know what to think. PNA relaxes, but then -NAO goes towards neutral. Pacific seems neutral, we need a -EPO or + PNA to get truly cold air into our region. Cold air is there, but no delivering method. The SSW PV split went the wrong direction, Europe is getting record cold. It seems the cold has been in Europe for 3 straight years now. 

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html

58 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Euro clown map from the NE sub forum. Let’s see how close this comes to verifying!  Of course there’s a hole over CNY!

ADED1234-8254-4EB4-A46A-D4DD70E415CC.jpeg.17f18426975df31fe45ab3804173a506.jpeg

Still thinking this is an elevation storm for the most part.  Euro snow maps can be deceiving as I think they include every form of mixed qpf as snowfall.  192 hrs away...this will change a lot but interesting.

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Kind of a weird pattern evolution. I really don't know what to think. PNA relaxes, but then -NAO goes towards neutral. Pacific seems neutral, we need a -EPO or + PNA to get truly cold air into our region. Cold air is there, but no delivering method. The SSW PV split went the wrong direction, Europe is getting record cold. It seems the cold has been in Europe for 3 straight years now. 

Actually, this looks to be the coldest western Europe has seen since 2013, may even reach 2009-2010 levels. Don't think it will be as cold as 1947 and 1963 over there, though (1963 was the coldest winter since 1740 in England).

4 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Looking at 700 and 850’s, this would be snow for a lot of us. I’m not buying all that rain. 

With a storm parked over NYC, in the 980s...

Its on!! I’m not gonna get a lot done over the next few days. Lol

Heavy rain. CNY. WNY.  On to the next one. But there isn't one...

KSYR will most likely stay below our avg and we won't even come close, up here North of the thruway.

Next season, I won't even look at LR forecasts cause their all a joke and JB can think he's the Guru but he too busted big time this season so I'm don't wirh LR garbage with telecommections, MJO, blocking, analogs and whatever other tactics are used to get to their forecast.

The Weather will do what it wants when it wants and the models are simply tools and this yr they were horrific, IMO!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Typically polar vortex splitting events favor Eurasia. Polar vortex displacement events favor North America.

7 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

KSYR will most likely stay below our avg and we won't even come close, up here North of the thruway.

Next season, I won't even look at LR forecasts cause their all a joke and JB can think he's the Guru but he too busted big time this season so I'm don't wirh LR garbage with telecommections, MJO, blocking, analogs and whatever other tactics are used to get to their forecast.

The Weather will do what it wants when it wants and the models are simply tools and this yr they were horrific, IMO!

Syracuse has done much better then Buffalo the last few years in relation to normal. Outside the lake belts WNY has been the least snowiest location in the GL.

20 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm seeing interesting parallels to the late winter/early springs of years like 1976, 1984. 1997. All of those years followed a La Nina winter and all saw quite chilly springs, I believe. Do years when La Ninas transition to weak El Ninos see cooler than average springs in our region?

Awesome posts Ottawa. I always felt like Toronto should be in our forum instead of GL, same with Cleveland. We're both connected to the same lakes. 

7 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I do sort of agree on the LR teleconnection stuff being a bunch of hooey.  From a seasonal predictive standpoint, everyone wants a magic decoder ring that doesn't really exist.  It's interesting to study or observe tendencies but I think a bit too much is done with them from an analogue forecasting standpoint. Edit: I should say a bit too much creedance is placed on them, despite limited data sets and natural chaos.

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I do sort of agree on the LR teleconnection stuff being a bunch of hooey.  From a seasonal predictive standpoint, everyone wants a magic decoder ring that doesn't really exist.  It's interesting to study or observe tendencies but I think a bit too much is done with them from an analogue forecasting standpoint.

They're is always more to the picture than teleconnections. But a +PNA 90% of the time will deliver below average temps to the NE, same with Negative EPO. You play the percentages. There is no positive PNA in the 15 day forecast, so that is why temps will average normal/above average. The Negative NAO is very overrated for our area, it's meaningless. It means a lot more for big time nor'easters for the New England side. It doesn't correlate well to below average temps, more for storm tracks. It allows storms that travel up the eastern seaboard to go negative tilt via blocking and travel slower than usual with strung out storms like they had most of this year. 

Archived