Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooooo...theres crickets on this site yet it strongly appears winter will be making quite the comeback after next weekend and leading into the beginning of March. There are increasing signals from the MJO, the indices, especially the NAO and the ensembles and their op runs. The goofus hasn't had a warm day on the op runs for 2 days now after the 27th of February and several chances for what could be significant storms around the great Lakes and ec. Is anyone still excited? Winter still has a full month left so I'm going to enjoy whatever we get.

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

And just a reminder of where we live, you can get big LES storms in April. :o

Maximum Snowfall: Lk.Ontario 38" (Redfield), Lk. Erie 26" 
(Perrysburg)

Lake Effect Summary - Apr 07 2007 to Apr 08 2007 - Storm Total Snow Map

With 70 degree humid air sitting over the southern half of Lake Erie, I have to think most of the ice pack will be annihilated this week.  If the sun somehow manages to come out again, which I know is asking a lot, the satellite imagery of the lake should be interesting.  Probably looks like a giant slushy right about now...

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Sooooooo...theres crickets on this site yet it strongly appears winter will be making quite the comeback after next weekend and leading into the beginning of March. There are increasing signals from the MJO, the indices, especially the NAO and the ensembles and their op runs. The goofus hasn't had a warm day on the op runs for 2 days now after the 27th of February and several chances for what could be significant storms around the great Lakes and ec. Is anyone still excited? Winter still has a full month left so I'm going to enjoy whatever we get.

If something legit pops up to track I'll be in.  Until then, this is all just rumors and voodoo...

Yeah, its definitely warm out there for this time of year but we may be saying the same thing in May when it should be 70 and its 25 and snowing because thats what can potentially happen this yr but I wouldn't bank on it, lol.  There is however a potentially snowy period brewing the first and second week of March with a retrograding block into Greenland which finally drops the NAO below the positive side since JULY, which is absurd!  

We can be looking at a very snowy period but not too terribly cold, relatively speaking, but we'll see how things progress from here.  It looks like a SSW did occur but it helped out the West and Europe which is the hardest part to forecast or predict with mid winter SSW. 

Archived