Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if anyone has ever done a seasonal snowfall climatology based on the GFS and Euro, broken down by forecast hour. In other words, take all the forecasts for a particular hour for a whole season, and add up the snowfall totals. How different would it look from reality?

Sounds like the kind of thing some bored meteorologist or grad student might do...anyone ever seen something like it? Does southern New England get 200" per year if you only look at the 240 or 360 h forecast? There sure seem to be a lot more big coastal storms in the long range model forecasts, than actually occur.

1 hour ago, coh said:

I wonder if anyone has ever done a seasonal snowfall climatology based on the GFS and Euro, broken down by forecast hour. In other words, take all the forecasts for a particular hour for a whole season, and add up the snowfall totals. How different would it look from reality?

Sounds like the kind of thing some bored meteorologist or grad student might do...anyone ever seen something like it? Does southern New England get 200" per year if you only look at the 240 or 360 h forecast? There sure seem to be a lot more big coastal storms in the long range model forecasts, than actually occur.

It would show over 500” for all of WNY. It boggles my mind that the models don’t ‘learn’. Always overly aggressive. 

Well it appears from this vantage point winter might be coming to a close. The ensembles are meh and the temp profiles for the next 15 days show no cold spells that last for more than a day or 2. Time to turn the calendar and bring on spring.
I'm in, as I've been in, for the past week or 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I'm in, as I've been in, for the past week or 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While I certainly agree that winter is more or less over, we all know that March holds many of our Top 10 snow events.  Last year Rochester had its biggest event of the year and a top 10 24 hour snowfall on the 15th...so I'm sure we still have a big hit or two left to go.  Just sucks that we can write off the rest of this month, which historically can be quite a cold and snowy period.  

It's funny, when we finally get the atlantic to cooperate the pacific doesn't. Like I said Pacific is much more important for cold air then the atlantic is. A positive PNA and negative EPO are the most important factors for sustained cold, especially the PNA which almost always induces a GL trough. 

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html

The Euro weeklies look terrible too. The PNA slightly weakens towards end of month, but Climo starts to work against us. At least another 2 weeks before anything wintry, possibly more. Starting March 11 Buffalos average high goes above 40, so you need a decently cold pattern to even get snow. The totality of winter might have been 5 weeks, the last 3 weeks of December, the last week of January and first week of Feb. I received 95% of my snow during that mainframe. 

36 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Snow is actually coming down moderately now in Williamsville... sticking nicely to roofs, cars, grass but not to any pavement surfaces. Rest of the month looks bleak for sure but I’m definitely ready for spring, although I’d take a March storm like last year where I got over 2’ in Amherst.

Must be associated with the secondary CF passage....enjoy.

RLMFAO, I guess this is the norm now in Mid February weather, then a cold March and friggen April.  Can't stand it as it always happens when Winter attacks early as it did this yr in December!

EURO, what a f'in joke!

f120.gif

Nice SE ridge, where was it when the Arctis air was prevalent for a time, but No, it pumps in February, LOL!!

I love it!  All the February cold forecasts including JB's are all a huge BUST!!

A western states mid-level trough and strong southeast states ridge
will hold a baroclinic zone from the Southern Plains to the eastern
Great Lakes through midweek. Deep moist southwest flow across
western and central NY will promote well above normal temperatures
Tuesday with widespread rain likely lingering into Wednesday.
Tuesday will be the warmest day of the week with high temperatures
looking like they will surge into the mid to upper 60s across
western NY and low 60s east of Lake Ontario. The warmest readings
will be in the Genesee Valley with temperatures possibly cracking
the 70 degree mark, while the coolest readings will be near the lake
shores where southwest winds will keep city of Buffalo limited to
the 50s. The baroclinic zone will hold a stalled or slowly moving
frontal zone over or in vicinity of western and north-central NY
supporting the likely extended period of rainfall. WPC QPF for Mon-
Tues indicate potential for more than one inch of rain across much
of western and north-central NY. This could be enough to cause rises
on area creeks and rivers.

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Meanwhile it looks like a very cold end to February across all of Northern Europe. Probably big snows in the Alps  

0378E607-A134-4338-B729-9C62CAE92DE0.thumb.png.6501292a7f8bfafa4c6ceae27454e0c9.png

Western Europe.is never cold. A 30 degree night is epic cold there.  Its pansy land as far as winter goes.  Despite mild winter I read where Alps have been smoked with snow this winter...

Archived