Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If these ratios were a bit higher, like what KBUF was touting last night for today, which really never panned out to well, but from what I showed up above from about now through 4AM, 09Z, we should see some decent returns and the ratios should go up but who really knows if it will come to fruition cause if higher rates are realized then we'll end up closer to the 8" mark than the 4" mark cause I'm just about there already I would think.

Here's an excerpt from this mornings disco and their doing it again, exactly what they said would happen today and never came to fruition so.........

A significant baroclinic zone found north of the front will continue
to provide the surface for strong H925-H7 frontogentic lift...which
will combine with the continued forcing from being under the right
rear entrance region of a strengthening 150kt H25 jet over the
Ottawa Valley. The lift will extend through the dendritic growth
zone for much of the region...with a 5k ft thick layer below H925
being isothermal between -3 and -5c. This will be an excellent
environment for aggregation of the dendrites...which will translate
into notably larger snowflakes than the small plates that we
experienced Friday and Friday evening. Snowfall amounts will range
from under an inch across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes region
(more on this in moment) to 2 inches across the Niagara Frontier and
2 to as much as 4 fresh inches across the Eastern Lake Ontario
region. The advisory for the higher snowfall will thus remain in
place for Oswego...Jefferson and Lewis counties until 7 PM.

48 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So I'm confused. I just measured another 2.5" since I last measured last evening when I had a 4.4" total bringing my 24 hour total to 6.9" in Williamsville. However I just watched WIVB at 6am and KBUF had 4.1" and Williamsville had 3.1...who is measuring that? 

Were all the measurements taken at the same time?  KBUF’s measurement was probably taken at midnight and didn’t include any snow that fell since then. 

under the right
rear entrance region 

They love it! 

Anyhow. Here in the Roc we’ve done a bit better than I expected. 5” for total event. It was like a very small snowstorm happening in very slow motion. I usually drink during snowstorms. This one would’ve been problematic as it lasted for 3 days. 

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

under the right
rear entrance region 

They love it! 

Anyhow. Here in the Roc we’ve done a bit better than I expected. 5” for total event. It was like a very small snowstorm happening in very slow motion. I usually drink during snowstorms. This one would’ve been problematic as it lasted for 3 days. 

Very wet snow overall. Going to take a core depth sample sometime later today. 

Not sure exactly how much fell here yesterday and last night. Started with 4" depth, this morning we have 8" suggesting 4" new. But at midnight we had 4" new snow in the driveway (since plowed so I can't use that for reference) and it was still snowing pretty good. So with settling...maybe 5" storm total so far.

Light sleet currently falling and 31 F.

Too bad its gonna be rain when it gets here!  What a shame as it took a week to get to this depth and now its gonna be gone in 2 days once again from high DP's with fog and wind.  Goodbye snowpack all over CNY.  Luckily the snowmobilers got their rides in last night cause they were out in full force.

Mix of snow (pellets, really) and sleet here. Temp touched 32 earlier but then the N wind picked up and it dropped back to 29. It'll be interesting to see what kind of precip we wind up with tomorrow, I expect the low level cold air to hold pretty well along the lake plain. Probably sleet or freezing rain for a good part of the day.

Archived