SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WesterlyWx said:

100% if we were that close to that band we'd be chasing it in an instant. Ugh what I would do to have Lake Erie be 2-3 times deeper :(

Yeah no doubt we would be smack dab in the middle of that thing. I'm thinking of going up there next weekend. Possible historic depth 7' maybe? You game?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I would totally be in that thing right now, that is nothing! It blows me away that you guys don't make that drive a few times a year. 

Yeah I probably should. Thing is, we see so much snow in our areas, seems meh to drive just to experience yet more snow, even if it is insane rates. I've drove thru that to work up just north of Oswego for a decade so I've had my share of experiencing the real deal....

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah I probably should. Thing is, we see so much snow in our areas, seems meh to drive just to experience yet more snow, even if it is insane rates. I've drove thru that to work up just north of Oswego for a decade so I've had my share of experiencing the real deal....

You guys don't get those rates though, or the depth they get to. No one east of the Rockies gets rates like the tug. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You guys don't get those rates though, or the depth they get to. No one east of the Rockies gets rates like the tug. 

We don't usually in northern  Clay, and when we do it's for a few hours at best.  But up towards Oswego, Mexico, Parish and sometimes Fulton, they do. Believe me I've lived it and Wolfie can attest.  That said, our snow depth doesn't match what goes on up there. I may drive up there this weekend to eyeball it, maybe do some snowshoeing.

Fulton is where civilization meets snow, 10k people in a 4sq mile city that avgs 175” a yr, not many can claim they see that with less then 400 feet elevation..

Rates are not a problem, it’s sustaining them..First year I was here I took a 3 hr nap and awoke to a foot of snow lol

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That is unreal...I would buy that house tomorrow. In Hamburg that goes for 200K+ with 5K taxes+ 

I didn't realize Buffalo is going through a housing uptick as well. Im in the midst of looking at homes in the GTA and that house in the photo from fulton is a dream house. Would easily sell around 750K USD in the immediate GTA. Where im looking (about 50 miles outside the city) is about 300-400K for a similar house. My commute will suck, but theres no chance I can buy in the city. 

23 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Fulton is where civilization meets snow, 10k people in a 4sq mile city that avgs 175” a yr, not many can claim they see that with less then 400 feet elevation..

Rates are not a problem, it’s sustaining them..First year I was here I took a 3 hr nap and awoke to a foot of snow lol

Yeah, I guess a similar location to that would be Springville or even Boston. Both around 8-10k people and average 175-200" a year. But they have a little bit of elevation on their side, especially Boston. Boston is 30 minute to downtown Buffalo, Springville about 40 mins. Takes me 15 mins to get to downtown Buffalo.

15 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I didn't realize Buffalo is going through a housing uptick as well. Im in the midst of looking at homes in the GTA and that house in the photo from fulton is a dream house. Would easily sell around 750K USD in the immediate GTA. Where im looking (about 50 miles outside the city) is about 300-400K for a similar house. My commute will suck, but theres no chance I can buy in the city. 

Yeah it really is insane, we really want to stay in Hamburg but I think the boom is everywhere in Buffalo. My dad has a few properties, one in the city and one in Amherst and both have gone up in value quite a bit. With record low interest rates and a record low unemployment level, it is bound to happen. People are actually moving back to Buffalo as well, especially the city. The medical and tech field have really taken off here in recent years and canalside has been completely transformed. The lakefront downtown view is finally being utilized. Something Toronto has taken advantage of for decades.

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

So after reading thru 2 pages of Oswego County real estate trends, I’m guessing the snow starting tomorrow looks blah...

Skiing tonight at KB was fantastic. Lake Erie managed to produce steady snow the entire time I was there from 4-10pm. 

4-8" tomorrow and 2-4" Saturday is my call.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

So after reading thru 2 pages of Oswego County real estate trends, I’m guessing the snow starting tomorrow looks blah...

Skiing tonight at KB was fantastic. Lake Erie managed to produce steady snow the entire time I was there from 4-10pm. 

Yeah Colden literally has snow falling all the time in winter. Orographic lift is a thing of beauty for them. Was thinking of going to holiday sat night.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah it really is insane, we really want to stay in Hamburg but I think the boom is everywhere in Buffalo. My dad has a few properties, one in the city and one in Amherst and both have gone up in value quite a bit. With record low interest rates and a record low unemployment level, it is bound to happen. People are actually moving back to Buffalo as well, especially the city. The medical and tech field have really taken off here in recent years and canalside has been completely transformed. The lakefront downtown view is finally being utilized. Something Toronto has taken advantage of for decades.

would you ever go north into Niagara Falls/Lewiston/Youngstown? Is it cheaper up there?  It seems Buffalos suburbs are more south/east and not really north orientated. 

Buffalo is my 2nd favourite city after Toronto, I try to make it down there for Bills/Sabres games whenever I can. 

3 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

would you ever go north into Niagara Falls/Lewiston/Youngstown? Is it cheaper up there?  It seems Buffalos suburbs are more south/east and not really north orientated. 

Buffalo is my 2nd favourite city after Toronto, I try to make it down there for Bills/Sabres games whenever I can. 

The most expensive houses are still north of the city in Amherst/Clarence/Williamsville. Niagara Falls/Lewiston are too far north for me. Not much out there. Orchard Park/Hamburg are getting pricey though. West Seneca/Lancaster/Depew is a good middle ground location and we are thinking of expanding our search there.

5 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I think if ur a snow freak, that area N of Buffalo city is tough to get any snow into, at least lake effect.  The WNY people can probably vouch for that though.  Of course there's more to living somewhere than just snow but...

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Probably true.  Interest rates have been pinned to the floor at historic lows by the Fed since the 2008 disaster and supposedly they want to unwind $4.5T of QE...that plus inflation perking up...rates prob going higher

Undoing QE would be deflationary, and would offset inflation pressure from wage gains. But yeah, interest rates are going up. That said, in lots of places without a booming local economy, housing prices may drop slightly to counter higher interest rates. 

It’ll be a while before housing prices level out in the Buffalo metro. Absent a big recession, maybe 2020/21.

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I think if ur a snow freak, that area N of Buffalo city is tough to get any snow into, at least lake effect.  The WNY people can probably vouch for that though.  Of course there's more to living somewhere than just snow but...

North of a line from Lackawanna through Lancaster, you’re usually gonna get no more than 50% of the snow of points further south, and very few LES monsters. But we still see more snow than basically any place outside snowbelts and areas of orographic lift.

5 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The most expensive houses are still north of the city in Amherst/Clarence/Williamsville. Niagara Falls/Lewiston are too far north for me. Not much out there. Orchard Park/Hamburg are getting pricey though. West Seneca/Lancaster/Depew is a good middle ground location and we are thinking of expanding our search there.

Hey even in my expensive Williamsville area my house value has skyrocketed...my neighborhood has a lot to do with that but my value has increased by about 25k since we moved on almost 2 years ago. WNY is where it's at for housing that will appreciate.

8 hours ago, WNash said:

Undoing QE would be deflationary, and would offset inflation pressure from wage gains. But yeah, interest rates are going up. That said, in lots of places without a booming local economy, housing prices may drop slightly to counter higher interest rates. 

It’ll be a while before housing prices level out in the Buffalo metro. Absent a big recession, maybe 2020/21.

Ur right about that.  Fed selling Treasuries off their balance sheet to unwind QE would be a deflationary effect, if it actually ever happens..i dont know what i was thinking.

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Alright, lets get back to the weather, not that its that exciting right now anyway, except for a few nuisance sn events, but it is still a WX forum, lol.  Just messin as I wait for the BL to saturate. Excited about this incoming 4", lol!

It may be only 4 inches but when you get these 4-6 inch events every 2-3 days they add up. 4 inches through tonight will give me about a foot and a half since Sunday. Nothing to sneeze at, lol!

31 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Alright, lets get back to the weather, not that its that exciting right now anyway, except for a few nuisance sn events, but it is still a WX forum, lol.  Just messin as I wait for the BL to saturate. Excited about this incoming 4", lol!

Every subforum has a banter thread, but we're too small for that so we can just include it here. 

Archived