• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 more inches since 12:45....so 6" total since just before 6am.  Still snowing moderately with this last band swinging through...might squeak out another inch.  LES might add a little overnight, but I'm not overly impressed with the potential for N. Onondaga Co.  This looks more like a cherry on top event for areas west of here tonight, then to the north of us tomorrow, as the winds veer rapidly tomorrow morning.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has nothing compared to the UKMET and the EURO but I haven't seen the GGEM.  The NAM doesn't have it either so IDK about WSW for tomorrow. I do know the TUG on top of yesterdays 14" and today's 10" and tomorrows foot+ and then another event this weekend.  They will close out the week with close to 5ft!

Certainly things can change, but at this point I don't see the weekend event(s) being a snow bonanza for most of us. Long-lived event, sure, but appears weak/disorganized and temperature are borderline, above the DGZ in much of the sounding. The kinds of numbers people are talking about (12"+) seem pretty unlikely for most.

So i did a liquid equivalent...0.58" melted and 4.5" snow.  Thats a 7.8:1 ratio which seems amazingly low with temps in low 20s for storm.  I measured right near the snow/rain gauge so that wouldn't be an issue and checked snowfall measurement out in my driveway well away from house.  Been doing this for 15 years so I think I got it right.

Thoughts? 

The airport measured 5.1inches on 0.54 LE so your measurements don’t seem to be out of line.  It is surprising the ratio is so low for a storm in the lower 20s.  Like I mentioned earlier this morning the snowflakes had an icy nature to them almost the same as just before a change to sleet. That may have contributed to the lousy ratios. BTW, my measurement to this point is only 4.9 inches. I’ll have an LE in the morning. 

41 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

So i did a liquid equivalent...0.58" melted and 4.5" snow.  Thats a 7.8:1 ratio which seems amazingly low with temps in low 20s for storm.  I measured right near the snow/rain gauge so that wouldn't be an issue and checked snowfall measurement out in my driveway well away from house.  Been doing this for 15 years so I think I got it right.

Thoughts? 

small flakes don't accumulate well. Big fluff bombs falling right now and accumulate so much faster. 

23 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The airport measured 5.1inches on 0.54 LE so your measurements don’t seem to be out of line.  It is surprising the ratio is so low for a storm in the lower 20s.  Like I mentioned earlier this morning the snowflakes had an icy nature to them almost the same as just before a change to sleet. That may have contributed to the lousy ratios. BTW, my measurement to this point is only 4.9 inches. I’ll have an LE in the morning. 

Thanks, i was snowblowing and didn't have time to think about it yet.

Kudos to TY, Freak, who flagged the non optimal alignment of DGZ and best Omega, or upward vertical velocities. That played a huge role I suspect in have crap ratios.  Usually, you'd think with about 0.6" LE and our usual ratios, we would be a lock for 8-9"...

19 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So looking at 18z snow accumulations at 10:1 ratios it is spitting out 9" at KBUF from Friday to Sunday...how is that not a lot as some are alluding to?

Seems respectable to me. With higher ratios likely, it’s a foot maybe.  Over 2 days +.  

Latest KBGM PNS...Broadcast media report...10.0”...#fakenews ? ;)

Onondaga County...
   Skaneateles           10.0   505 PM  2/07  Broadcast Media
   Syracuse Hancock arp   5.1   501 PM  2/07  ASOSu
   1 SE Taunton           5.1   534 PM  2/07  Trained Spotter
   Clay                   4.5   522 PM  2/07  Trained Spotter
   2 E Syracuse           4.1   210 PM  2/07  Public

Archived