Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That storm really was impressive for oragraphically opportune areas. Namely the S Adks. Likely will end up much bigger than the next one for those areas. 

For the Thruway corridor, this next event looks to be a classic 3-6” deal with Syr and Eastern Finger Lakes getting more like 5-10”. Wild cards? Lake enhancement. A NW tick? If we could get an earlier phase with a bit more deepening..

I don’t see a bust unless you live NW Niagara Falls or Toronto- they are on the fence. Pretty high confidence forecast. It’ll be interesting to see where BUF places warnings. I bet Livingston, Wyoming and Ontario (plus ski country) get Warnings while Erie-Wayne get advisories. 

Gotta watch that enhancement. Might be good for 2-4” extra placing Roc into warning amounts. 

6 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

Looks like Binghamton to Albany is the jackpot zone on this one.

I think ENY will do better than CNY in this one. Across CNY, the QPF distribution looks fairly uniform in the .5-.75 range with areas further n/w in the lesser end of the range but likely having better ratios to offset. Looks like area-wide 6-10 across CNY, maybe some 11-12" lollipops in high hills E of 81.

15 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Just read the latest AFD from KBUF with their wording I'm curious why a WSW hasn't been hoisted for all of WNY and CNY.

Because they only expect 4-7” across far WNY including BUF which is only advisory criteria. I agree with their decision and think that we won’t see warning amounts (7” in 12 hours or less, or 9” in 24 hours). 

3 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Because they only expect 4-7” across far WNY including BUF which is only advisory criteria. I agree with their decision and think that we won’t see warning amounts (7” in 12 hours or less, or 9” in 24 hours). 

Yeah WNY will do better in the storm system this weekend while ENY does better with this one. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah WNY will do better in the storm system this weekend while ENY does better with this one. 

Should I parse words??? Their exact wording was " at LEAST high end Advisory accumulations"...i guess meaning they feel that is the low mark and could be higher which is exactly why you'd put a WSW in place.

Great write-up from BUF.  Looks like the Tug is the sweet spot right now for the BUF forecast area.  

...Significant widespread snow likely on Wednesday...

This period will start off innocent enough...as high pressure will
be centered over the Lower Great Lakes. Speaking of which...
subsidence associated with this sfc based ridge will put a serious
cap on the nuisance lake snows east of Lake Ontario. Will only have
chc pops for Oswego County and the Tug Hill (esp southern slopes)
during the first half of the night...as a lowering cap under 5k ft
will work with backing winds to the south to bring an end to the
mesoscale activity. Then the `fun` begins.

An inverted trough over the Upper Ohio Valley Tuesday evening will
extend to the northeast across the Lower Great Lakes during the wee
hours of the morning...while the surface high will exit across the
St Lawrence Valley. This will allow the low level flow to back
around to the south...thereby initiating the warm advection process.
At the same time...an intensifying 150kt H25 jet will position
itself over southernmost Ontario. The lift offered by this jet and
strengthening frontogenetic forcing will allow light snow to streak
into our region from the west by daybreak...with an inch or so
accumulation possible over parts of the Southern Tier.

On Wednesday...a series of waves within the aforementioned inverted
trough will consolidate into an organized surface low in the vcnty
of southeast Pennsylvania...as a robust shortwave digging across the
Upper Great Lakes will encourage a phasing of the sub tropical and
polar jets. The described track of the organizing sfc low will
maintain a fairly tight H925-H7 gradient over our forecast area...
and this will provide an excellent surface for slightly milder air
to overrun. The ensuing frontogenetic forcing will then combine with
the lift from being under the right rear entrance region of the H25
jet to provide a relatively short 8-12 hour period of strong lift.
There is high confidence that this will support at LEAST advisory
criteria snow across our region Wednesday and Wednesday evening...
with 18 hour snowfall amounts ranging from roughly 4 to 7 inches
over the Niagara Frontier and near Lake Erie...to as much as 12
inches across the North Country. The highest values east of Lake
Ontario will also likely be attributed to an exceptionally deep
dendritic growth zone (10-15k ft) being forecast. For what its
worth...typically values average closer to 5k ft...so VERY efficient
snow making should be anticipated for that region.

17 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Entrance region is a term they consistently use that nobody understands. 

I understand it...basically additional lift under the 'right' entrance region of the jetmax due to the vertical circulation. Left exit is the other 'lift' area.

A nice image to explain - Check out the rising air in the right entrance and left exit regions of the jetmax. Opposite is true for the left entrance/right exit. According to KBUF, we'll be in the vicinity of the right entrance - benefiting from additional lift.

1_5.png

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Next Weekend looks wet for CNY/ENY w/o some model adjustments to the right. Which seem to be happening a lot this winter with our fabulous +NAO regime.  So WNY prob in good shape as of now.  Unless the CMC verifies, in which case it'll be PC and chilly everywhere upstate...

34 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Entrance region is a term they consistently use that nobody understands. 

When upper level winds speed up moving into a jet maxima it's draws in air from the lower levels.  As vortmax inked above, it also creates a circulation that favors the Right entrance and left exit

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

When upper level winds speed up moving into a jet maxima it's draws in air from the lower levels.  As vortmax inked above, it also creates a circulation that favors the Right entrance and left exit

Yeah, as a power plant engineer I sometimes envision the effect as functioning a bit like an air ejector on a condenser...or more like cracking open the window in your car while moving....the jet of air rushing past the car creates a low pressure that draws air out of the vehicle in one spot (which is replaced in another location to maintain a control volume mass balance).  These are crude analogies mind you but sorta work to help visualize the effect, although with a jet streak the air motion is more vertical than horizontal out the car window as the jet streak is up in the atmosphere.

i'm pretty sure, as we continue to get closer to go time, each successive run should be a bit more juiced as I don;t think the models are handling the amount of moisture available with this system.  It gets help from both the GOM, and the Atlantic, so I really wouldn't be surprised if they go up a few more 1/10's before go time.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NAM has pretty wicked dry slot.

namconus_ref_frzn_us_34.png

That's not a traditional dryslot associated with mature cyclones but yeah, a nice precip hole until the incoming northern stream gets involved with the southern stream and fills in to a nice precip shield.

Archived