• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

That midweek system is a long duration event as it appears to have -sn flying by Tues afternoon lasting into Thursday with perhaps some LE-LES to follow. It also looks like with each successive run of the GFS, it gets a bit more juicier.  What a pattern if we can at least cash in on a few decent systems.

There also appears to be a rapid lake response right behind the front. All three lakes are firing on all cylinders and the same should occur over both lakes Erie and Ontario, as it looks like a large part of Erie is still wide open so we'll see.  KBUF may even throw up an advisory with this afternoons package but I'm not expecting it. Lake parameters look impressive to me for at least 6-10 hrs with a lined up WNW flow.

Finally back to Winter and tracking events!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

NYC and surrounding areas are calling for straight RN next Wednesday.  That bodes well for us I would think as their thinking this system heads close enough to the coast for both metro's to receive RN including KBOX!  Obviously things can change and probably will, but I'm cautiously optimistic at this time.  I also like our chances for a couple to several inches tonight into tomorrow from straight LES but moisture is lacking so it won't be, what it would be, if ample moisture was available.  I'm good with 2-4" before Sunday - Mondays event. This is the pattern we've been looking for so lets hope it lasts for at least a couple weeks.

This upcoming week reminds me of late Dec or early Jan (?) when we had 4 systems/events lined up in close proximity.  None were blockbusters but i think the final one was a decent hit, 6-12" in CNY.  This could end up similarly for us.  And yeah, looks right now like coastal areas will see more rain then frozen for Sun/Mon and Tues/Wed systems and nothing but flurries Friday into Sat.

9 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

This upcoming week reminds me of late Dec or early Jan (?) when we had 4 systems/events lined up in close proximity.  None were blockbusters but i think the final one was a decent hit, 6-12" in CNY.  This could up similarly for us.  And yeah, looks right now like coastal areas will see more rain then frozen for Sun/Mon and Tues/Wed systems and nothing but flurries Friday into Sat.

Yes I vaguely remember and I believe I ended up with 16-20 for a tally but I could be wrong. You probably have it all archived, lol!

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yes I vaguely remember and I believe I ended up with 16-20 for a tally but I could be wrong. You probably have it all archived, lol!

I think you are right...that squares with my recollection.  And agree we could get a bonus 5-8" by sat a.m. which is only Round #1.  Maybe no biggie sized storm on tap but this is the sort of constant feed of snow events that makes this area great for snow lovers as compared to areas S & E along the coast who generally don't get parades of snow like this over a week period.

Edit: snipped from today's WPC Long range discussion.

TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEKEND...MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN/SOUTHEASTERN STATES WITH 24-HOUR AMOUNTS AROUND 1 TO 2 INCHES THROUGH 05/0000Z. ANOTHER MAXIMA SETS UP OVER UPPER NEW ENGLAND AS THE SURFACE LOW BEGINS TO WIND UP AND THE 850-700 MB MOISTURE FLUX ANOMALIES EXCEED 4 SIGMA BY 05/1200Z. A SNOWFALL THREAT WILL EXIST WEST OF THE I-95 CORRIDOR WITH A GENERAL FOCUS FROM THE UPPER OH VALLEY/CENTRAL APPALACHIANS INTO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES AND INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND. CONDITIONS QUIET BRIEFLY BEFORE THE NEXT SYSTEM DEEPENS OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS. BY TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY...HEAVY RAINFALL BREAKS OUT ACROSS THE LOWER MS VALLEY INTO THE OZARKS AND MID-SOUTH WITH THE 06Z GFS SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FOR 24-HOUR AMOUNTS REACHING THE 2 TO 4 INCH RANGE. LIGHTER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED DOWNSTREAM WHILE ANOTHER SNOWFALL THREAT EXISTS OVER SIMILAR LOCATIONS FROM THE PREVIOUS STORM. THE PAIR OF SYSTEMS COULD LEAVE A DECENT SNOWPACK WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE BUT A LOT OF DETAILS CAN CHANGE IN THE UPCOMING DAYS. ELSEWHERE...

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah, pretty sure those precip totals don't include or represent much of the lower density LES we will get in that span.

Yeah, it never does which in this case will be tonight into tomorrow and Monday evening and then after the midweek event.  We have so much to track in the short-med range that the long range is not even a thought, lol, and that feels great!

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah, it never does which in this case will be tonight into tomorrow and Monday evening and then after the midweek event.  We have so much to track in the short-med range that the long range is not even a thought, lol, and that feels great!

Long range is torch, so good thing. ^_^

Long range models have been beyond brutal so I honestly wouldn't even look at them. 

5 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Have to think that if next Tues/Wed pans out for us, we should easily be pushing 2 feet of new snow for most of this forum by next Friday morning.  I feel better about this period than the clown map fiasco back in late December, where outrageous totals (75" in Syr) over a 10 day period were being shown on EC/GFS.  Heck, if we pick up what KBUF's map shows between now and this Sat a.m. we'll be 1/3rd - 1/2 way to 2 feet.  But as always, I'll ride with KBGM's map idea (6-8") IMBY.

If there is a long range model out there showing anything but cold, then there seems to be a large discrepancy amongst LR ideas then but that's OK.  Like I said though, I rarely look at anything past 7 days anymore, cause it never pans out anyway, so why even par take in trying to predict it.  Heck, more often than not, we find ourselves within 3 days of an event only to find most globals disagreeing with each other. I canceled my Weatherbell Sub so I cant even see the Euro anymore the way I used to.  Is it eat least on board cause I heard the GGEM is definitely not but the UKMET is so whats the real story?

8 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Have to think that if next Tues/Wed pans out for us, we should easily be pushing 2 feet of new snow for most of this forum by next Friday morning.  I feel better about this period than the clown map fiasco back in late December, where outrageous totals (75" in Syr) over a 10 day period were being shown on EC/GFS.  Heck, if we pick up what KBUF's map shows between now and this Sat a.m. we'll be 1/3rd - 1/2 way to 2 feet.  But as always, I'll ride with KBGM's map idea (6-8") IMBY.

Agreed

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
222 PM EST Thu Feb 1 2018

NYZ009-018-036-037-021930-
/O.NEW.KBGM.WW.Y.0007.180202T0300Z-180203T1200Z/
Northern Oneida-Onondaga-Madison-Southern Oneida-
Including the cities of Boonville, Syracuse, Hamilton, Oneida,
Rome, and Utica
222 PM EST Thu Feb 1 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
7 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected. Plan on slippery road
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches are
  anticipated by late Friday night.

* WHERE...Northern Oneida, Onondaga, Madison, and Southern Oneida
  Counties.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Saturday. Bands of
  lake effect snow will first move in later this evening, between
  8 and 10 pm. The steadiest snow is likely to occur Friday
  morning, so be prepared for slow going during the morning
  commute to work and school.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at
  times and slippery conditions on untreated surfaces, as
  temperatures quickly drop below freezing this evening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will
cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.
The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

22 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

If there is a long range model out there showing anything but cold, then there seems to be a large discrepancy amongst LR ideas then but that's OK.  Like I said though, I rarely look at anything past 7 days anymore, cause it never pans out anyway, so why even par take in trying to predict it.  Heck, more often than not, we find ourselves within 3 days of an event only to find most globals disagreeing with each other. I canceled my Weatherbell Sub so I cant even see the Euro anymore the way I used to.  Is it eat least on board cause I heard the GGEM is definitely not but the UKMET is so whats the real story?

Big signal on EPS of warmth after Feb 16th. 

Point and Click for next tues-Wed-wed night!

Tuesday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday Night
A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

I'll take those percentages from 5 days out any day, lol!

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Long range is torch, so good thing. ^_^

Long range models have been beyond brutal so I honestly wouldn't even look at them. 

Long range - out to 240 hours looks like the PV on our side of the pole per the EC.  That's not torchy.  Beyond that...agree w/ Freak...its all  high uncertainty and low skill outputs.

Check out Ryan Maue's tweet from yesterday showing an H500 Euro Loop out to 240 hrs...Brrr

Archived