• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2018 Discussion

Frog Town

Yeah I have seen that too, lets hope it splits half into Europe and half into Siberia because I will hard pass on a frigid March.
I'll never mind a good March snowstorm but agreed, cold temps in March get old with time especially with lengthening days and looking forward to spring.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I'll never mind a good March snowstorm but agreed, cold temps in March get old with time especially with lengthening days and looking forward to spring.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah a good March snowstorm isn't bad because it is usually gone in a few days and they tend to be a bit on the dynamic side too.

Yesterdays 4.8" of snow at Detroit brought the season total to 36.5". This is over 11" above avg to date and just 5.9" shy of the average for an entire season.

Yesterdays 5.6" of snow at Flint brought the season total to 50.5". This is over 21" above avg to date and has now exceeded the average for an entire season (47.4").

-4 this morning here, DVN hit -12.  There was some pretty cool looking ice fog on the drive in to work.  Trees were covered in hoar frost.  

Can tell the sun is starting to get stronger now.  Only hit 17 degrees, but was warm enough to melt a little of the snow that's in the rain gauge.  0.05" passed through at some point during the day.

I think it's crazy that it's early February and Superior is freezing up.  Already -5 this evening, was -16 last night and will be below zero for the next 4 nights too.  Most Superior snow belts will come to a screeching halt in the next week or so... not that it's been active here at all.  Cold, yes.  -11.2 for the month and that says a lot when your average high is 21. 

lice-00.gif.1aea2a5772702c36b8c18c22bcfc12c8.gif

16 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Bottom fell out, hit -10 here before rebounding a bit. 

However some really weird temp spreads just around Dekalb. Currently -8 IMBY, -1 at NIU, and 3 degrees at the airport.

The airport has a higher elevation than NIU or down by you, which is probably the reason.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:02 PM, weatherbo said:

I think it's crazy that it's early February and Superior is freezing up.  Already -5 this evening, was -16 last night and will be below zero for the next 4 nights too.  Most Superior snow belts will come to a screeching halt in the next week or so... not that it's been active here at all.  Cold, yes.  -11.2 for the month and that says a lot when your average high is 21. 

lice-00.gif.1aea2a5772702c36b8c18c22bcfc12c8.gif

Def crazy how quickly the ice built up on Sup and NWL Michigan in the past week. 

Sunny and very cold this month.  The average temp at MQT has been 1.8 (-11.9 for the month!). I have received a paltry 4" of snow...LOL :D    My coldest temp has been -21 and the warmest was yesterday at 14.  Every single night this month has had a low below zero, although that's not out of the ordinary given the average low is like 3.  What is weird tho is all the sun we're receiving... and below is why!  March will be here before long, so with a junk month like this and a rapidly freezing lake Superior, it's hard not to start rooting for some springtime weather, chirping birds and stuff like that. Happy for everyone in the lower part of the sub that finally got to see a decent pattern deliver some deserved snow!

Ice update:

lice-00.gif

Feb 2018 has now entered the top 20 for snowiest Februaries on record for Chicago (since 1885). 8 of the last 12 have accomplished that feat, so really a pretty remarkable run lately, of February snowfall at ORD.

2007: 20.3" (10th place)

2008: 21.8" (8th)

2010: 22.5" (T6th)

2011: 29.0" (1st)

2013: 16.1" (19th)

2014: 19.5" (13th)

2015: 26.8" (3rd)

2018: 17.8" thru 6:00am today (17th)

Archived