Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 29/30 snow event

TauntonBlizzard2013

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The 6" reports are low, imo.  There are 2 people who posted in this thread who both received 8" and they live locally.

Yup... 6” is def low. Like I mentioned earlier... if you waited to measure.... you no doubt we’re getting lower numbers given the compaction since it was so fluffy.

i was home the entire storm, I’m confident in our numbers 

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what time the official box measurement took place that was listed as 6 inches in their ons.  Do either of you gentleman think it's possible for a three inch gradient over less than 5 miles in this event? If anyone from nws taunton is reading this, please chime in to clarify when your measurements occurred.

For New London/westerly, this is one of worst busted forecasts possibly in decades. Since this part of New England is not densely populated it's not getting much coverage, but if this had happened in New York or Boston this would be a huge story. To go from a forecast of a coating to an inch, and ending up with 8-9 to quote Joe Biden is a big blanking deal.

6 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

I'm not sure what time the official box measurement took place that was listed as 6 inches in their ons.  Do either of you gentleman think it's possible for a three inch gradient over less than 5 miles in this event? If anyone from nws taunton is reading this, please chime in to clarify when your measurements occurred.

I go through this constantly...everyone around me is 2-3 or sometimes more inches than what I have but I would def buy 8-9 in tan from this event

41 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

For New London/westerly, this is one of worst busted forecasts possibly in decades. Since this part of New England is not densely populated it's not getting much coverage, but if this had happened in New York or Boston this would be a huge story. To go from a forecast of a coating to an inch, and ending up with 8-9 to quote Joe Biden is a big blanking deal.

Not sure if it's the biggest bust in decades. 

I've had a lot in my 13 years forecasting in Hartford/New Haven... and I'm not sure this one cracks the top 5. 

There have certainly been busts like January 2015 and March 2017 in the megalopolis, but it snowed in each instance and in many cases moderate to heavy amounts not just the epic predictions. The general dynamics/Taylor swift bust is so prolific because these areas were projected to be too far west to get anything more than an inch, and they woke up to 8-9.

THE all time outperformed is 12/16/07, and aided to GOAT status because of what fell before.  We were supposed to get 1" of Snow and then rain, which not only would have eliminated the 1", but destroyed the only 3 Day old snowpack from one of the Great Bombogenisis storms of modern times, the mini-Blizzard of 1978 traffic disaster that was 12/13/07 (the one I skipped a final exam for in Boston and had a crazy story getting home on the train when everyone else was left on the train dock if you didn't get on the first stop in Back Bay).  So hence, we got 9" of snow, and the piles went into Epic mode.  From potential 1" and Rain rob 9" and of course potential rain disaster and just glops of crappy snow left to 20" of Snow on the ground is the all-time Overachiever.  

But it I wish I saw this one.  Fluff is the Best!  EXCEPT I'm in Snow Heaven in Finland so I can't complain.  

IMG_1880.JPG

News directors for the Hartford and Boston tv stations shouldn't be too upset about this bust. Less than 5% in the Hartford market live in areas that got 7-8 inches of snow, so Hartford's couple inches is no biggie. Most Boston tv stations were forecasting upwards of 4 inches in se ma, so the bust there is manageable. But the providence tv market forecasts were truly horrible for attleboro, seekonk, providence and the entire Rhode island mainland. Ironically the southern and eastern end of Narragansett bay was forecast to get the most, but they got the least and preserved the Rhode island snow hole.

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Im really surprised we ended up besting you on this one. Looks like halifax stanfield and moncton got the most at 23 cm/9.1"

Yeah but my snow isn't a soupy mess...lol.

it's been a less than stellar season here but we are gaining some traction now. Still a foot off of seasonal.

Archived