Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 29/30 snow event

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

This ended up being a high ratio event that was still a "wet" snow that stuck to everything and you could easily make snowballs out of it...that doesn't happen too often.

Yea I noticed that too. Was throwing snowballs for the dogs to chase.  The new foster from Georgia never saw snow before and thought it was something you ate.

Here is the totals map for todays surprise snowstorm. I have no fx map for verification, for obvious reasons. If there was one, it still would have busted bad. 

Any corrections or comments let me know, i tried to get everyone here that quoted me. If i missed anyone, sorry, let me know please.

Couple interesting things i noted here.

• This map is almost the exact reverse of the last storm we had, with the highest totals in the NW, lowest in the SE. 
  • The snow hole of Groton/New London did very well in this event, some of the highest totals were there. 
  • Massive gradients occured within some towns such as Newtown 0.7 to 2". North Haven 2.1 to 3.1" and Wallingford 2 to 4.5". 
  • A retrospective look at totals indicates WSWs could have been up for New London, Middlesex and Windham counties with WWA up for Tolland, New Haven, Southern Fairfield counties

01_30.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.2797577884cca5fe40f1076f6773f3e3.jpg

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Here is the totals map for todays surprise snowstorm. I have no fx map for verification, for obvious reasons. If there was one, it still would have busted bad. 

Any corrections or comments let me know, i tried to get everyone here that quoted me. If i missed anyone, sorry, let me know please.

• This map is almost the exact reverse of the last storm we had, with the highest totals in the NW, lowest in the SE. 
  • The snow hole of Groton/New London did very well in this event, some of the highest totals were there. 
  • Massive gradients occured within some towns such as Newtown 0.7 to 2". North Haven 2.1 to 3.1" and Wallingford 2 to 4.5". 
  • A retrospective look at totals indicates WSWs could have been up for New London, Middlesex and Windham counties with WWA up for Tolland, New Haven, Southern Fairfield counties

Nice job Dylan

55 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This ended up being a high ratio event that was still a "wet" snow that stuck to everything and you could easily make snowballs out of it...that doesn't happen too often.

That wasn't the case here.  Most of the snow fell with temps in the mid to low 20's.  When we went out to clear the driveway, there was 4-5" which was able to be push shoveled away it was so light.  There was no way to make a snowball from it.

13 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

That wasn't the case here.  Most of the snow fell with temps in the mid to low 20's.  When we went out to clear the driveway, there was 4-5" which was able to be push shoveled away it was so light.  There was no way to make a snowball from it.

That was my experience as well.  Had to get to Logan or would have shoveled myself.  Here in Denver there are patches of snow otg despite temps well into the 60s.  Apparently it snowed pretty good about 10 days ago.

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It started out very wet here last night, then looked cool blowing off the roofs this morning.

5" of bust snow in the hemlocks makes my day:

20180130_130255s1000.jpg.396b71b7cefd57611c0a56b4cdd74b3c.jpg20180130_130307cs1200.thumb.jpg.e05cf0eb88d7202b29759beb8da481e7.jpg20180130_130302cs1200.thumb.jpg.bbf593830c9c82b3aebd677d1f705362.jpg

Big difference from 15 miles to your south west where I had 2.5”. How are your Hemlocks so healthy? No wooly Adelgid there?

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Big difference from 15 miles to your south west where I had 2.5”. How are your Hemlocks so healthy? No wooly Adelgid there?

We've got the adelgids.  I hit them with dormant oil to keep the buggers down (but not out).  I'm hoping some natural controls get established as the trees are now too tall for me to spray by myself and its getting expensive.  I think the bigger ones are about 60 feet.

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That was my experience as well.  Had to get to Logan or would have shoveled myself.  Here in Denver there are patches of snow otg despite temps well into the 60s.  Apparently it snowed pretty good about 10 days ago.

Glad to hear temps out there in the 60's.  That usually means we stay cold here.  Hopefully we'll get a nice replenishment of the snows for your arrival home Friday.

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Your maps come out nice. 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:09 AM, CT Rain said:

I'll toss the GFS here. It's totally on its own with that 700hpa evolution. Keeps the front right over SNE and closes off a low on it.

The 00z Euro and 12z NAM have nothing of the sort with the front well offshore and like 50% RH at 700mb overhead. 

GFSNE_700_rhum_024.png

NAMNE_700_rhum_024.png

Yeah this was the post I was alluding to this morning.

The frustrating thing as others mentioned is that models don't do a good job of translating this into surface sensible weather. I went back and compared the H7 depiction of multiple NAM and GFS runs from Sunday and Monday... some have that H7 closed low over SE SNE, some have it farther east or none at all... and there is no correlation at all with storm total qpf. There is also no good depiction of the 2 separate bands going on overnight.

So when we get multiple models (NAM, RGEM) within 12 hours depicting 0.0 qpf... we are inclined to dismiss synoptic features that would suggest otherwise.

The other thing that threw me off last night... upper levels were very dry. Like H5-H8 had RH values 30-60% around 7pm. (remember TBlizz made a post about the close Temp/Dewpoint, and people replied that you need to look at upper levels / DGZ which was really dry)... so I was expecting those bone dry NAM/RGEM runs would be correct.

In a time when computer automation is replacing human skill all over the place... and sometimes it feels like meteorology (on TV, NWS, and here) is reduced to model qpf meta-analysis... we get these examples (this season feels like it has had more than usual) reminding that computer models have a ways to go and human skill is still essential.

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah this was the post I was alluding to this morning.

The frustrating thing as others mentioned is that models don't do a good job of translating this into surface sensible weather. I went back and compared the H7 depiction of multiple NAM and GFS runs from Sunday and Monday... some have that H7 closed low over SE SNE, some have it farther east or none at all... and there is no correlation at all with storm total qpf. There is also no good depiction of the 2 separate bands going on overnight.

So when we get multiple models (NAM, RGEM) within 12 hours depicting 0.0 qpf... we are inclined to dismiss synoptic features that would suggest otherwise.

The other thing that threw me off last night... upper levels were very dry. Like H5-H8 had RH values 30-60% around 7pm. (remember TBlizz made a post about the close Temp/Dewpoint, and people replied that you need to look at upper levels / DGZ which was really dry)... so I was expecting those bone dry NAM/RGEM runs would be correct.

In a time when computer automation is replacing human skill all over the place... and sometimes it feels like meteorology (on TV, NWS, and here) is reduced to model qpf meta-analysis... we get these examples (this season feels like it has had more than usual) reminding that computer models have a ways to go and human skill is still essential.

Great post.. but that wasn’t Tblizz last night :whistle: I’ve made notations many times over the years.. when temps/ dews are close.. snow breaks out very quickly. Even if upper levels are dry . As long as there’s heavy enough echoes .

There was a storm earlier this winter. Maybe Dec 12.?? When BOX and other mets were all worried about dry air at upper levels limiting accumulations. It started snowing almost immediately after echoes were overhead said area . Dews and temps were almost on top of each other 

Archived