• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29/30 snow event

TauntonBlizzard2013

not to poke the proverbial hornets nest but .. the 06z NAM does something new in this saga, and that's balloons a QPF region over Long Island or thereabouts ...appearing to be associated with the UI forcing...  

That region could be reason to now-cast ...Frankly, it's never really set well with me that a fairly important wind-max and associated DPVA slices up the critical 1 to 1.5 deg lat/lon E of PVD aloft and the models pull off nothing happening at all back west where/in the local studies axis should materialize.. 

There should be a zone of some sort of frontogen/UVV associated with the left entrance/exit region of that wind max like is normally found by physical forcing in the atmosphere for crying out loud but the models are so beady eyed obsessed with taking everything and sweeping it out to sea before the forcing has a chance to do it's work that we've actually seen some solutions with partly cloudy skies while said jet streak runs by.  okay ...

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TheCloser24 said:

box afd: 

Also new 06z NAM trended farther west and heavier with qpf
shield for tonight. 06z GFS not as much. Will have to see how
12z models trend. Wildcard here is increasing amount of deep
moist convection near developing low off the north FL coast at 7
am. This may result in more downstream ridging and a storm track
closer to the coast. Stay tuned.

Dont buy the closer storm track talk. Tht feature is pretty meaningless at this stage. If the precip is firther west it’s the result of mid level forcing. west zones could possibly see expanded snows from the norlun holding on a bit more too. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Dont buy the closer storm track talk. Tht feature is pretty meaningless at this stage. If the precip is firther west it’s the result of mid level forcing. west zones could possibly see expanded snows from the norlun holding on a bit more too. 

Yeah, teeny-tiny critter that may nibble.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Next. I'm done with this POS.

Ah haha

you know ... some small little fraction of deviancy in my mind would find it deliciously entertaining if this antic happened for the rest of the winter's "plausibilities"   

Fwiw ... the NAM initializes the low along the SE coast both too deep and, too far E...  Not sure what significance that has, but ... in the spirit of now-cast, it is so -

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Likewise. This thing is ots. 

Wish I had known earlier it was warm core. This thing gonna suck. Forecasts will bust way high.

That always confuses me??   If you get less snow than forecast...don't you bust low, cuz you got lower snow than forecast????  No???  I guess you can look at it both ways.  But ya, I think most people are going to be surprised how little they get from this..if anything. 

9 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

NAM supports blizzard conditions across the Cape.  40 knot winds sustained with heavy snowfall.  need to watch the combination of snow and wind for some whiteout possibilities.  NWS Taunton mentions 1in/hour snow fall rates for the cape and Islands

Now NAM supports flurries for you.  Good luck.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

HRRRx versus NAM, lol at Scooter melt on a NAM run

Scooter has been unusually emotional on this threat for his standards...must be the nasty pneumonia he caught.

Gotta laugh though at the NAM....went from half inch of qpf just south of BOS on 06z to almost nada.

Archived