• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

John1122

Feb 1st-2nd 2018 Potential Snow Event.

Just pulled into my house and the car thermometer shows 37. Looked at how the 18z NAM HI-RES initialized and SWVA is the only location below 40 degrees in all the surrounding areas (TN, KY, WV, NC, and the rest of VA). Not really sure how the cold air didn’t get scoured out. Cloud cover and residual snow cover probably helped some. Something to keep an eye on for Sunday’s system as well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Just pulled into my house and the car thermometer shows 37. Looked at how the 18z NAM HI-RES initialized and SWVA is the only location below 40 degrees in all the surrounding areas (TN, KY, WV, NC, and the rest of VA). Not really sure how the cold air didn’t get scoured out. Cloud cover and residual snow cover probably helped some. Something to keep an eye on for Sunday’s system as well.

I notice time and time again there is a large pocket of cold that gets stuck in the relative area of that hatch marks below.  I live in the bottom section of it but is seems that area takes the longest to scour out, or fails to scour frequently.  Seems cold gets banked up against the plateau, and winds stay light to calm while areas south and east of that area get stronger winds and WAA.  Its always fascinated me to watch this occur year after year.  That whole area only made it at best into the upper 40s today while other areas hit 60 plus.

Coldpockets.jpg

Interesting obs Shawn, i notice this as well, and it was very pronounced the last storm (the night before) but a little further up but same general axis

It's  still 40 here.I went to the store  about an hour ago and my car thermo said 61 and i watched it rise to 107 in a couple miles,thought i was going to die..lol..Must be broken eh..Carry on..Good luck to you guys east of us anyways.

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

So I’m curious as to why the radar in mid Tennessee looks to be falling apart or rapidly moving to the east? Or is it just me?

Don't think its just you, looks like the back edge is drying up faster.  Its a race!

4 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Don't think its just you, looks like the back edge is drying up faster.  Its a race!

Radars down ;)

• Like 1

The models are too cold,not a flake for us.Precip is about done and over just about.

I’m beginning to think your right. Temp here has shot up to 41 as the front is right on the door step.

Oh well,maybe next time.I'm ready for severe weather now mode now.Crap ass winter when we get a low or system coming though the high is stuck into the Upper plains,seems to be the pattern recently,just no timing right

• Like 1