• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1st-2nd 2018 Potential Snow Event.

John1122

Just pulled into my house and the car thermometer shows 37. Looked at how the 18z NAM HI-RES initialized and SWVA is the only location below 40 degrees in all the surrounding areas (TN, KY, WV, NC, and the rest of VA). Not really sure how the cold air didn’t get scoured out. Cloud cover and residual snow cover probably helped some. Something to keep an eye on for Sunday’s system as well.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Just pulled into my house and the car thermometer shows 37. Looked at how the 18z NAM HI-RES initialized and SWVA is the only location below 40 degrees in all the surrounding areas (TN, KY, WV, NC, and the rest of VA). Not really sure how the cold air didn’t get scoured out. Cloud cover and residual snow cover probably helped some. Something to keep an eye on for Sunday’s system as well.

I notice time and time again there is a large pocket of cold that gets stuck in the relative area of that hatch marks below.  I live in the bottom section of it but is seems that area takes the longest to scour out, or fails to scour frequently.  Seems cold gets banked up against the plateau, and winds stay light to calm while areas south and east of that area get stronger winds and WAA.  Its always fascinated me to watch this occur year after year.  That whole area only made it at best into the upper 40s today while other areas hit 60 plus.

Coldpockets.jpg

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived