Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Model thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 hour ago, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

Looks like a ton of rain coming for the coast in February. Active pattern but everything cuts.

I'm inclined to agree with you for the first ~10 days of the month. -PNA will favor a robust SE ridge.  There is a ton of spread in how that evolves later in the month, but have to agree with Don et al on things potentially turning colder/snowier for the back half of the month given the current MJO forecasts.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

I'm inclined to agree with you for the first ~10 days of the month. -PNA will favor a robust SE ridge.  There is a ton of spread in how that evolves later in the month, but have to agree with Don et al on things potentially turning colder/snowier for the back half of the month given the current MJO forecasts.

PNA is forecast to be positive and climbing during this time period...Where do you see a -PNA?

image.thumb.png.02b6f5c4a13ada84faf513d38b5a610c.pngimage.thumb.png.00581fa6ccb61355fed034d204691291.png

image.png

image.png

3 hours ago, Animal said:

Morning afd from mt Holly  nws is calling for an all snow event Sunday into Monday morning nw zones. “Decent dump of snow” is the term used.

looks like the 1st 10 days of February central and eastern PA and the New York State will finally outperform the coastal areas as the WAR causes the storms in the upcoming pattern to cut directly over I- 95 or to the west - MJO is partially to blame as the coast will have to wait till it reaches phase 8 and beyond to receive anything more then a couple of slushy inches on the front side of these systems that end  up being quickly washed away......

should also point out the latest forecasts from nearly all guidance are rapidly weakening the MJO before it gets to phase 8. all of the above said, confidence is quite low.  in my opinion, interior locations and especially new england could do well in february in terms of snowfall. i'm not yet sold on a snowy february for the city proper.

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

should also point out the latest forecasts from nearly all guidance are rapidly weakening the MJO before it gets to phase 8. all of the above said, confidence is quite low.  in my opinion, interior locations and especially new england could do well in february in terms of snowfall. i'm not yet sold on a snowy february for the city proper.

Plus the epo not as negative.

4indices.png

3 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

If we don't get into Phase 8-1-2 I agree we are in trouble on the coast...

1 hour ago, The Plowsman said:
On 2/1/2018 at 5:22 AM, Animal said:
Morning afd from mt Holly  nws is calling for an all snow event Sunday into Monday morning nw zones. “Decent dump of snow” is the term used.

Not gonna happen! Geeeez

Mt Holly is now calling for a “moderate” accumulation in the higher terrain.

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Nam stays warm like other guidance as the primary runs into Canada... Far interior snow job 

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Not gonna cut it for Monday if this is a strict northern Vort feature... we need this to dig, and it ain’t happening 

Exactly, and right now with the strength of the MJO in phase 6 there just is nothing lined up to force this to dig as we had seen earlier in the winter.

I still am under the impression that at some point in the second to third week of February there will be a window of opportunity, the pattern is active and looks to remain as such, but hopefully if the MJO does break into 8/1 then we may see some help for the coast.

Until this happens I am not enamored with any snow chances for the I95 corridor of great significance.

13 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Exactly, and right now with the strength of the MJO in phase 6 there just is nothing lined up to force this to dig as we had seen earlier in the winter.

I still am under the impression that at some point in the second to third week of February there will be a window of opportunity, the pattern is active and looks to remain as such, but hopefully if the MJO does break into 8/1 then we may see some help for the coast.

Until this happens I am not enamored with any snow chances for the I95 corridor of great significance.

We can hold out for a GGEM like solution, weak waves in general, weak coastal forms further south than other guidance over an area of stronger convention separate from the main southern Vort

20 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

We can hold out for a GGEM like solution, weak waves in general, weak coastal forms further south than other guidance over an area of stronger convention separate from the main southern Vort

The bigger problem I see in all this is high pressure is beginning to push down into the central US instead of into SE Canada like when we had the stronger EPO blocking and Positive PNA. Without those, the HP can’t press into SE Canada. 

Of course, well timed anything can find a way to produce but in the grand scheme of things it’s like we went from rolling a dozen die hoping for snake eyes to rolling two die hoping for the same.

10 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Euro, GGEM, GFS, Ukie all have 3+ north and west of 84, as usual in these set ups, interstate 84 looks to be the cut again for next weeks storm, euro the warmest as 850s torch with the northern stream running primary through WNY, as oppose to other guidance, a weaker offshore low

Which storm are you referring to? Sun-mon event or midweek?

Archived