Newest Member
    joxey
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

3/5-3/8 seems off also.  Just looking at my area--its definitely underdone in WMA and SVT(even down to WCT too).  Should be BIG swath of 20-30 and a decent 30+ area also. Maybe they don't put as much detail into an area where 17 people live.

Maine had loads more area with 10"+ than shown on that map, and a number of 20"+ reports (SFM, Hartford) that evidently didn't make the cut.  Also, the 11-15 map has a 30"+ dot on (or very close to) MBY - maybe they recorded my 16.5" twice? 

3 years ago capped off a fun little event to a season where it just wanted to snow. I did not expect much during the day,  but I should have known better that winter. Snow started, stuck, and the temp dropped below 32 during the day. Ended up with just over 3”. I could not believe how cold it got. 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Snow cryin’ for its mama today.

Yeah warmest day in a while as it got up to 45F at the local PWS.

Though seemed to be chillier than forecast across the northern tier ASOS where cloud cover remained almost all day:

MVL (750ft)...43F

FSO (230ft)...43F

EFK (760ft)...41F

Snow doesn't like highs in the low to mid 40s, starting to see grass pop up under the evergreens now and in pure south facing slopes.  Still a solid 10" on average though probably around home.

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Didn't even realize how warm it got down south today... man I'm jealous of all those 50-60F readings while we were stuck in the low 40s.

Is that 59F down at Concord, NH right now!?

5Zqi4UC.png

The 59F is MHT....CON is the 55F there, but maxed at 58F. It hit 54.5F here with mostly sunny skies all afternoon. Melt city.

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The NESIS maps are pretty bad....the ones in the Kocin book are much more accurate...hopefully his next volume is out fairly soon.

I'm going to guess they are drawn with only coops vs all snowfall reports. That would certainly account for under-reporting of big totals.

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Walt Drag is also retiring. :( 

Thursday is his last shift. 

In the 90s when I started to realize I could do this for a living, an AFD with Drag (I guess it would've been DRAG) signed at the end was something I always looked forward to. Much of it over my head at the time, but it gave me a window into the things I could learn about in school. In part he helped put the NWS on the map for me as a career.

Years later, in grad school, I got to meet him while volunteering at BOX. Hard to forget that first exchange.

"So Chris, what in meteorology are you interested in?"
"I really love forecasting, it's all I've ever wanted to do."

"Short term, long term? Anything specific?"

"Both, I love it all."

"You might want to find another career."

:(

Now that was probably 2007. I can see now that, whether he knew it explicitly or not, he meant it was going to get harder and harder for a human forecaster to beat the models in a significant way. And we've seen the push over the last several years of model blends dominating the input of longer range forecasts. So while it seemed harsh at the time for a guy in his 6th year of higher education for meteorology, he could see the trend already.

So I made it past initial screening for a job... I had a phone interview yesterday morning... and they invited me in for an on site interview. She told me I had made it to that point over the phone and then followed up with an email formally inviting me and asking my availability to come in as it will be more than likely a half day affair.

Now, it’s been over 24 hours since I responded and haven’t heard back or confirmation of when to come in. Would it be okay to follow up with an email this afternoon? 

I’m not sure what the appropriate timeframe is too see what is going on.

I would like to think, at worst, it’s an oversight. Don’t know why they’d suddenly change their mind on having me come in

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Thursday is his last shift. 

In the 90s when I started to realize I could do this for a living, an AFD with Drag (I guess it would've been DRAG) signed at the end was something I always looked forward to. Much of it over my head at the time, but it gave me a window into the things I could learn about in school. In part he helped put the NWS on the map for me as a career.

Years later, in grad school, I got to meet him while volunteering at BOX. Hard to forget that first exchange.

"So Chris, what in meteorology are you interested in?"
"I really love forecasting, it's all I've ever wanted to do."

"Short term, long term? Anything specific?"

"Both, I love it all."

"You might want to find another career."

:(

Now that was probably 2007. I can see now that, whether he knew it explicitly or not, he meant it was going to get harder and harder for a human forecaster to beat the models in a significant way. And we've seen the push over the last several years of model blends dominating the input of longer range forecasts. So while it seemed harsh at the time for a guy in his 6th year of higher education for meteorology, he could see the trend already.

Like folks on here with snow, He didn't want you stealing his job..............lol

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I made it past initial screening for a job... I had a phone interview yesterday morning... and they invited me in for an on site interview. She told me I had made it to that point over the phone and then followed up with an email formally inviting me and asking my availability to come in as it will be more than likely a half day affair.

Now, it’s been over 24 hours since I responded and haven’t heard back or confirmation of when to come in. Would it be okay to follow up with an email this afternoon? 

I’m not sure what the appropriate timeframe is too see what is going on.

I would like to think, at worst, it’s an oversight. Don’t know why they’d suddenly change their mind on having me come in

I would inquire in a very short email.   Stay very neutral in tone

1 hour ago, White Rain said:

Now that the snow has melted out in many areas, it’s become apparent how bad the tree damage is as close as Bolton, Berlin, Westborough, Marlborough. It’s not just NE Mass. It looks like a major ice storm. Just west of there -no damage, dramatic change.

Even the difference between Holden and here is noticeable.  

The damage is really something. You drive down rt 3 and it’s just trees freshly cut all on the side  of the road. Same with 93 up by Wilmington and beyond. Tons of fresh broken wood seen on the tree canopy  from branches and limbs broken. This had to be the most costly month in eastern mass since Bob in 91.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The damage is really something. You drive down rt 3 and it’s just trees freshly cut all on the side  of the road. Same with 93 up by Wilmington and beyond. Tons of fresh broken wood seen on the tree canopy  from branches and limbs broken. This had to be the most costly month in eastern mass since Bob in 91.

:weenie::weenie::weenie:

Archived