Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of snow depths... I'm shocked at how low they are down in SNE after the two big storms. 

I guess I haven't been paying attention to how warm it got down there or something?  There were some big totals and I sort of expected to still find widespread 12-24" on the ground.

Highest reported CoCoRAHS depth's even in the Berkshires are 22" at Plainfield and 17" at Beckett. 

That area and ORH hills are usually excellent at preserving snow so was surprised with the monthly totals reported to see those depth values that are on average 6-12"...even some areas under 6" that had two feet of snowfall 5 days ago?

w4VJ89s.gif

There was a good amount of melting the next two days... at least here anyway.

Really tough to retain this time of year unless it’s way below average.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There was a good amount of melting the next two days... at least here anyway.

Really tough to retain this time of year unless it’s way below average.

I'm looking back at the temps and I guess it got warm but maybe westerly flow compressional warming while the NW flow snow continued? 

I mean it doesn't look that warm in the hills as ORH's highs after the storm were 33/37/32/36 with lows well below freezing...but I guess if you add 3-5F to those values for the lower elevations it's not good for snow retention.  Just thought with the heavy wet snow it would be slow to go.

It was a ton of compaction. It was pure blower powder last storm. I have a depth of just over a foot right now but it's a total man pack. I'd estimate it's prob 2 inches of qpf in the pack right now. It's going to take some work to get rid of what's left. I doubt we've actually melted much qpf out of the pack. At least over the interior. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was a ton of compaction. It was pure blower powder last storm. I have a depth of just over a foot right now but it's a total man pack. I'd estimate it's prob 2 inches of qpf in the pack right now. It's going to take some work to get rid of what's left. I doubt we've actually melted much qpf out of the pack. At least over the interior. 

Ahh I don't know why I thought the last one was paste too...probably wasin some places though.  How much of the first storm survived before the second hit?

Im also not sure why I thought it had been colder this month.  Just saw it's +2.8 at MVL, even after a -22 yesterday and probably -25 or lower today. 

Someone posted they were out of town for the past week of the storm and returned home to this in Stowe. 

They obviously live in one of the snowier spots in town, as we have crazy variations.  Some people in town have 20" and others have 40" on the ground. Guessing this is Sterling Valley or Nebraska Valley near the Spine axis.

IMG_8956.thumb.PNG.155db6eda17157d923b08119267ba94a.PNG

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh I don't know why I thought the last one was paste too...probably wasin some places though.  How much of the first storm survived before the second hit?

Im also not sure why I thought it had been colder this month.  Just saw it's +2.8 at MVL, even after a -22 yesterday and probably -25 or lower today. 

We had about 4-5" of paste left from the first one when the second hit. I'd assume by far most of the loss in depth since the second storm was compaction since the first day afterward was already like 6-8" lower than right after it ended. We def lost some to sublimation too with that obscene march sun angle. You can see in the places that get a lot of sun here that the snow is getting eaten away and they look like little razor blades sticking out on the edge. There's been a little melting too obviously with march sun angle. But the pack has become much lower snow to water ratio for sure. I was out getting firewood this evening and was noticing that I'm only dropping about 2-3 inches into the pack when I step on it now versus even two days ago when I'd still drop a good 8 inches before my weight held. 

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s 6-8” here. Full cover. But you get to the highways and sunny side is bare. Shady side deep winter pack 

About the same by me.  It's much deeper through Union and Woodstock though.  I was over in Woodstock this weekend collecting sap and it was up to my knees in spots getting to a couple of my tanks.  There's a big difference between the valley and here (at least around Enfield/Springfield) but I noticed it even more going east where that band setup in the last storm.  It's a good wet snow and I think it might be holding on well into April if the below normal temps hold.

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

what is the process/meteorology behind why confluence to the north can suppress storm track. I understand what confluence is and how the process leads to rising motion but why does it suppress a storm track? 

Upper level confluence leads to rising motion?

Just now, weatherwiz said:

wait so it's confluence in the low-levels or the sfc which leads to rising motion here but at the upper-levels confluence leads to divergence? 

confluence leads to divergence? a-what?

Think of it as the troposphere and a ceiling and a floor. The floor is the ground and the ceiling is the tropopause. If you have confluence at the sfc you are gaining mass...the air can't go down through the ground so generally it has to rise. In the upper levels, the mass gain can't go up and penetrate the inversion of the tropopause so in general there is sinking/subsiding air. That's why where you see divergence aloft you look for low pressure at the sfc to strengthen beneath it. Where you see strong confluence aloft you tend to see strengthening high pressure at the sfc.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

confluence leads to divergence? a-what?

Think of it as the troposphere and a ceiling and a floor. The floor is the ground and the ceiling is the tropopause. If you have confluence at the sfc you are gaining mass...the air can't go down through the ground so generally it has to rise. In the upper levels, the mass gain can't go up and penetrate the inversion of the tropopause so in general there is sinking/subsiding air. That's why where you see divergence aloft you look for low pressure at the sfc to strengthen beneath it. Where you see strong confluence aloft you tend to see strengthening high pressure at the sfc.

This was a much better explanation than I found online! Thank you 

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of snow depths... I'm shocked at how low they are down in SNE after the two big storms. 

I guess I haven't been paying attention to how warm it got down there or something?  There were some big totals and I sort of expected to still find widespread 12-24" on the ground.

Highest reported CoCoRAHS depth's even in the Berkshires are 22" at Plainfield and 17" at Beckett. 

That area and ORH hills are usually excellent at preserving snow so was surprised with the monthly totals reported to see those depth values that are on average 6-12"...even some areas under 6" that had two feet of snowfall 5 days ago?

w4VJ89s.gif

In the big storms I ended up with 0", then 17" and then 23" of snow.  The depth was unmeasured but surely close to 2' the first full day after the big storm.  Right now I'd guess that I've got 5-7" of snow cover left on the ground so I think that map is pretty accurate.  There was a huge amount of compaction after the second big storm.  That storm had a really really low water density.  After the 2-3 hour monster snow band passed through I took a walk around my backyard.  It was the sort of snow that you can comfortably walk through without post-holing in your boots even though the depth is up to or past your knees.  Its a weird feeling walking through fluffy snow like that - the snow just parts around your legs and if you look behind the only evidence of your path is a 2-3 inch depression in the depth of the snow.  The edges of your path smooth out instantly.  Its also the sort of snow that seems to muffle sound - something I particularly enjoy.

19 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...looks like VT depths a day after a big upslope event.

Im looking at the temperature this afternoon,  mid 20's up here and the full blasting March 19th working on the snowpack.  It would be interesting to compare temperature and sun angle to determine if there is a scientific way to measure snowmelt, sun angle and ambient temperatures.  As we move into spring the bare ground vs deep pack becomes more apparent.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...I think I saw a post of yours mentioning it wasn’t as high ratio as usual.

Yeah there were some periods of fluffy snow by a lot of it was smaller dense flakes, graupel, etc.  

Thats usual in the more early and late season upslope, along with warmer winters.  When 850mb temps are like -4 to -8 where most of the orographic lift is, we get pummeled with like SWFE needles and other snow like that.  The flip side of the warmer atmosphere is more QPF usually.  

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH hasn't hit 40F since March 5th.

That's hard to do. It hasn't been blistering cold like a bit further north, but it is consistent.

Couple of new runs in Will, wide open 2014 vibe .@oceanstatewx RI brewery Sons of Liberty in Peace Dale RI off the hook 

20180319_172814.jpg

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH hasn't hit 40F since March 5th.

That's hard to do. It hasn't been blistering cold like a bit further north, but it is consistent.

Crazy that the warmest temp of the month up here was March 1st with 47F, while the coldest was March 18th with -16F.

Backwards in a month that features a large rise in normals throughout the month!

Archived