Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My lab chases the deer every morning but they laugh at her and comeback every night.  They know a dog isn't catching them.  Turkeys however...

Don't let him chase deer.  Even if you think its harmless it forces the deer to use energy that in most winters is hard to replenish.  Game wardens will shoot dogs who are chasing deer, I had one shot when I was 15.

Edit to add: Some people will take matters into their own hands and shoot your dog too.  It's a no good situation all around

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I thought the models were doing pretty good today as I headed through the mid 40's late morning and briefly got up to 48ish.  Then temps started slowly falling back. The 60F line was suppose to make it up to about me but failed.  Temp now down to 45F.  Tomorrow should do it.  During winter weather events I do great with CAD and love it but when everyone is basking in 60's and 70's and I'm in the 40's it frankly sucks.

how was the melt off? 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

These things are sh*tting everywhere and I don’t want to get the kids tracking it in the house. Just  want them out.

If there being a nuisance, You probably can contact animal control to see what can be done about it, Lighting off a few M-80's into the middle of the pack can be effective as well...........;)

14 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Don't let him chase deer.  Even if you think its harmless it forces the deer to use energy that in most winters is hard to replenish.  Game wardens will shoot dogs who are chasing deer, I had one shot when I was 15.

Edit to add: Some people will take matters into their own hands and shoot your dog too.  It's a no good situation all around

Oh I know it's illegal but I mean I get up at 4:30am and let the dog outside to do her business... I guess I should've phrased that better... she isn't chasing them like across fields, she just howls and does a brief 15 yard dash to the property line and stops.  

My wife and I have been trying to figure out how to stop the deer as the dog barks her head off at 4:30am waking up the neighbors probably.  And she's a dog, something is in her territory, and I doubt she's ever not going to scare them away.  She never runs after them for like an extended period of time.  It's a quick howl and scramble and then once they dash into the woods it's over.  Even if she's on her run leash she's going to do it.  I have no expectation that the dog is ever not going to bark and clear any animal out of her territory...deer or chipmunk doesn't matter, she's warning it.

My think is they keep coming back.  They were like looking in our window the other night based on their footprints next to the house.  They give no f*cks.

48 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Looking up the Auto Road, they were pushing 50 degrees in the 3000-4000 foot range earlier today.

I flew the drone at 10am.  41F at 1100 feet.  At my max altitude of  1640 feet above take off I recorded 52F on the drone probe.  (shuss, don't tell Im not suppose to fly that high and  quickly went  straight up and then straight down, and watched for planes too).  So that fits as I would have been at 2740 above sea level.

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's not cool that your lab is chasing them, No offense but the dog can be shot for that.

Yeah guess I'm going outside every morning at 4:30am to clear the yard first.  Guess I could fire a gun into the air every morning at that time but the cops will show up. I don't know what else to do.  

The dog goes outside and they are always 30 yards away or less.  They don't learn and she never leaves our property which is like the size of what you see in Dendrites web cam.  I have no idea how to stop it.  Good luck thinking the dog will just ignore them.

The times I've heard of dogs getting shot are like chasing them for half a mile through fields and stuff.  Never heard of a dog shot in your own small backyard for that.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If there being a nuisance, You probably can contact animal control to see what can be done about it, Lighting off a few M-80's into the middle of the pack can be effective as well...........;)

I mean that's more or less what the wardens do with nuisance turkeys, make a loud bang and scare them enough to not come back.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

You have to be sick to prefer 39F FG over 70F SKC. Especially on the back 9 of winter. No offense dryslot. ;)

No big fan of upper 30s mank, but 70 in February would turn our gravel road into a 2,000-foot mud run, which a return to seasonal temps would turn to ironbound ruts worse than the icy ones that my driveway featured for a couple weeks.  Same temp on March 21 probably follows some warm priming and takes out frost far enough to avoid the slop.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why would the dog be shot?

Its called harassing game, And its illegal, The owner would be fined irst and if continued the dog could be shot, If its hunting season and there are dogs in the woods up here, They can be shot by hunters, The deer are already harassed enough by coyotes up here as it is.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why would the dog be shot?

It's illegal for dogs to chase deer.

But I guess it depends on what "chasing deer" means.  Good luck anywhere from suburbia to rural getting a dog to not bark and run at a deer in their yard.  Once the deer get into the woods the dog is satisfied.  

The law is more for dogs that chase like through entire fields and for significant distances.  The deer population needs to be protected, not enough of them.

Speaking of turkeys we have a flock of 12.  I have been watching them this winter.  Winter seems pretty hard on them, especially with a deep powder pack.  They just can't move.  I guess down further south when snowcover is not constant they can become a nuisance but up here winter seems to keep the numbers in check.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

But I guess it depends on what "chasing deer" means.  Good luck anywhere from suburbia to rural getting a dog to not bark and run at a deer in their yard.  Once the deer get into the woods the dog is satisfied.  

The law is more for dogs that chase like through entire fields and for significant distances.  The deer population needs to be protected, not enough of them.

I don't think you would have an issue with your lab.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Speaking of turkeys we have a flock of 12.  I have been watching them this winter.  Winter seems pretty hard on them, especially with a deep powder pack.  They just can't move.  I guess down further south when snowcover is not constant they can become a nuisance but up here winter seems to keep the numbers in check.

They don't fair well in deep snow at all, That is why they were non existent up until they were reintroduced over the last 20 years or so, I have had them right in the trails when out riding.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its called harassing game, And its illegal, The owner would be fined irst and if continued the dog could be shot, If its hunting season and there are dogs in the woods up here, They can be shot by hunters, The deer are already harassed enough by coyotes up here as it is.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting. Kind of just seems like nature at work. I understand though, if the species needs to be protected. 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting. Kind of just seems like nature at work. I understand though, if the species needs to be protected. 

There is a bounty on coyotes up here, They can do a number on a deer herd in the winter if there is deep snow with some crust, The deer can't run away but the coyote can run across the crust without sinking into the pack and the deer gets chased down, The deer yard up in the winter time so they can be easy pickings in some cases.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

They don't fair well in deep snow at all, That is why they were non existent up until they were reintroduced over the last 20 years or so.

And they've spread well north and west of where the net-and-move actions took place, almost throughout Maine except for the far north - they've reached Ashland but I haven't heard of them making it to the St. John Valley.  Years ago I postulated that turkey range would not extend farther than where oaks were common - about as wrong as possible.  They've been seen in trees eating aspen buds and hophornbeam seeds like partridge.  far more adaptable than I (and many others) thought, and well north of their range when the European invasion began.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I haven't seen them yet, but my in-laws saw a flock of turkeys in our new neighborhood last week. Make a small move north in Portland, and all of a sudden I'm in the wilderness. :lol:

I may have to follow Dendrite and Eek's leads with the birds. 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

And they've spread well north and west of where the net-and-move actions took place, almost throughout Maine except for the far north - they've reached Ashland but I haven't heard of them making it to the St. John Valley.  Years ago I postulated that turkey range would not extend farther than where oaks were common - about as wrong as possible.  They've been seen in trees eating aspen buds and hophornbeam seeds like partridge.  far more adaptable than I (and many others) thought, and well north of their range when the European invasion began.

Yeah, They have been able to adapt it seems and are becoming quite populous.

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

A well-fed domestic dog chasing winter-stressed deer isn't quite "nature", IMO.  The coyotes Dryslot noted aren't native to the Northeast, at least not since folks kept records of such things, but they have replaced the extirpated wolves as apex canid.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I haven't seen them yet, but my in-laws saw a flock of turkeys in our new neighborhood last week. Make a small move north in Portland, and all of a sudden I'm in the wilderness. :lol:

I may have to follow Dendrite and Eek's leads with the birds. 

If a bear can make it to oceanfront South Portland**, turkeys in your neighborhood should be no surprise.

**That poor bear was featured on an early season of North Woods Law.  The warden ended up euthanizing it as it was invading folks' dooryards, and the I-295 rush hour was in progress.  Lots of vigorous and often vituperative criticism for that, but had the bear tried to re-cross the Interstate before a biologist could arrive and sedate it (Maine wardens are not so authorized), a major accident would've been almost inevitable.

Archived