Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

It actually is seeing its Feb and not May.

Ehhh I'm not enjoying it.

Walking the dog on the Rec Path following the river is chilly ugly low-40 mank.

Im still at 42F at home and nearby PWS at 43F.  

Stripe of low 40s in the lowest elevations here.  Like 200ft overhead is up in the 50s.

Base of ski resort a few miles away a full 15F warmer. 

IMG_8587.PNG.efc8f2d59b97f49da48322a23aa85049.PNG

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have all spring for back door season. Let’s not start it now.  I’ll be back to being jealous when it snowing there on Thursday and Sunday. 

Don't see much going on here for Thurs, Maybe a shot Friday afternoon into Friday night,  Better chance on Sunday into Monday for snow here though.

Just now, mreaves said:

It helps preserve the pack so that there is a base when the snow (hopefully) returns

My thing is I don't care what's in my yard...maybe I'm left with 6" glacier instead of bare ground but when it's torching in the elevations, might as well enjoy it at home.  Even for snowmobiling, unless you're riding along the river bottoms, what good is preserving the lowest 150ft of snow?  

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

It helps preserve the pack so that there is a base when the snow (hopefully) returns

The pack is crap here. 5” of ice under a couple of soggy inches. It just hasn’t been a good season for deep, healthy pack. I’m ready to torch away and then go bowling.

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Stuck at 40F at 1100 feet.  Warm air is so close.  Wonder what time it will bust through?  Going to see if I can attach my cheapo recording digital thermometer to my drone and see where the warm layer is...  

Edit.   Just put the thermometer on the drone.  41F now at take off  52F.  Above the problem is I don't know how far above take off point the warm air layer is.

Looking up the Auto Road, they were pushing 50 degrees in the 3000-4000 foot range earlier today.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You have to be sick to prefer 39F FG over 70F SKC. Especially on the back 9 of winter. No offense dryslot. ;)

None taken, But its not my preference.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Some get it, Others don't, I'm a pack person, Why on earth would you want to see 70's in Feb?

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It’s ice pack. Who wants that?

It's been a weird year for that.  Have had steady snow cover since it started snowing in December as we never melted out in January thaw.  

Now I'm wondering if we can hold some through this as we haven't really lost anything noticeable today.  The icepack needs to go though.  So slick everywhere.

Have to see what the fields look like tomorrow.  I just wanted 60F and air out the house, open it up.  But not yet.  

IMG_8589.JPG.38fcc63fc7c1c669a39a707c8901fe2b.JPG

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just left CON with 62F and got home to 46.6F. FML

I thought the models were doing pretty good today as I headed through the mid 40's late morning and briefly got up to 48ish.  Then temps started slowly falling back. The 60F line was suppose to make it up to about me but failed.  Temp now down to 45F.  Tomorrow should do it.  During winter weather events I do great with CAD and love it but when everyone is basking in 60's and 70's and I'm in the 40's it frankly sucks.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Peak gust of 5mph today...we just couldn’t mix out. As soon as those mid level clouds rolled back in it was ovah.

No wind at all today.  This morning when it was 41F I flew the drone it was 52F just above me.  I also got a high wind warning on the drone so the wind must just skid right over the cold layer.  

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I thought the models were doing pretty good today as I headed through the mid 40's late morning and briefly got up to 48ish.  Then temps started slowly falling back. The 60F line was suppose to make it up to about me but failed.  Temp now down to 45F.  Tomorrow should do it.  During winter weather events I do great with CAD and love it but when everyone is basking in 60's and 70's and I'm in the 40's it frankly sucks.

You were probably one of the warmest NNE posters today with 48F, congrats on that.  

Looks like MVL hit 43F and now back to 41F.  Very similar here.  

Archived