• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
dryslot

Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

Well,  my neighbor just came over to ask if I will snow blow his driveway while he is away from Thursday to Thursday.   Good neighbors, so of course I said yes. It's not a huge driveway but this pretty much now guarantees it will snow.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well,  my neighbor just came over to ask if I will snow blow his driveway while he is away from Thursday to Thursday.   Good neighbors, so of course I said yes. It's not a huge driveway but this pretty much now guarantees it will snow.  

That happened to us in the nemo blizzard and our town was the lucky one who got 3 feet in like 12 hours lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Good guess... top of Pinnacle Heights Road at the Meadow.  Not the actual hike to the Pinnacle summit.

The road ends at like 1,800ft or something like that.  The Stowe Hollow area (pretty much anything east of RT 100) is a surprisingly cool area with a like a plateau of high elevation banking up against the Worecester Range that has a 3,000-3,600ft ridgeline along the eastern side of town.  There are a lot of people that live at some pretty solid elevations in the 1,200-1,700ft range there.  Wish we had some weather stations there as they look like radiators too, protected by the high ridgelines around it.  With that said, the RT 100 corridor is the true fake cold radiator (see MVL) being the axis of lowest elevations between the high elevations to the east and west.

That entire network of roads that run along the base of the Worcester Range from Waterbury Center to Stowe is beautiful.  Kneeland Flats, Shaw Mansion Rd.,  that area is in high demand because of the ease of access to BTV and MPV as well as proximity to Stowe and the resorts in the Valley

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

19/20 was a compact nuke it seems

Had about 2" new at bedtime (9 PM) and my dad measured 23.5" in our front yard at 8 AM, with moderate snow still falling, so with squashing of that first 2, about 22" in 11 hours.  A family with a boy my age had moved in across the street a few days earlier.  Their front porch was concrete, no railings, steps to the right toward the driveway.  When the kid cleared the porch, it resulted in snow at the same level as the porch top.  He forgot where the stairs were, walked off the front, and disappeared.  We still laugh about it.

I wonder what happened in Maine though with the amounts under 10" there similar to VT.  Has that look of a storm that's dropped its pay load to the south and is left with some shredded mid-level banding driven snowfall that must've lit up N.NH and W.ME with those 12-20" amounts, with less to the east near Bangor.

Farmington co-op recorded 10".  It was cold there, but only 2-4° below NYC instead of the 15° climo difference in mid-Feb. 
NYC temps Feb. 9-13, 1899:
2/9   11   -2
2/10  7    -6
2/11  9    -2
2/12  9     4
2/13  11   6
with 16" snow on 12-13.   The 7-day period 2/8-14 averaged 14.6/3.0, probably Central Park's 2nd coldest week, though well short of the 9.4/-4.4 set 12/29/17 to 1/4/18.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Icy ride in this AM at 6, ice pellets and freezing rain, saw 1 car in the guardrail on 396

Route 6 was awful  6 accidents on my way to work, half included 18 wheelers. I passed a woman who hit a talll highway light pole that came down in 2 pieces and shattered on the highway, barely missing her car...A bunch of cars in ditches, and the multiple truck issues. 45-50 minute ride took me just under 2 hours.  I was going 0.0 mph for about 30 minutes in Andover at one point.  Was really bad. 

5 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Route 6 was awful  6 accidents on my way to work, half included 18 wheelers. I passed a woman who hit a talll highway light pole that came down in 2 pieces and shattered on the highway, barely missing her car...A bunch of cars in ditches, and the multiple truck issues. 45-50 minute ride took me just under 2 hours.  I was going 0.0 mph for about 30 minutes in Andover at one point.  Was really bad. 

Jeez. That sucks. Seems like a pretty small area turned into a mess this morning.

I hit the am ice potential last night during our late news and I know the DOT pretreated a lot of bridges. Seems like Rt 6 was a disaster though .

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Jeez. That sucks. Seems like a pretty small area turned into a mess this morning.

I hit the am ice potential last night during our late news and I know the DOT pretreated a lot of bridges. Seems like Rt 6 was a disaster though .

Yeah. The timing was perfect for it to be a disaster. Just after 6 the freezing rain started.  By the time I was on the road at 6:15 the surface was slick.  By the time I went through Wilimantic it was over (meaning, over for being able to drive a normal speed.  That is where the crawling began).

Your station was there at the bigger accident.

20180214_065940_1518634950520_resized.jpg

20180214_073639_1518634949534_resized.jpg

does anyone know where I can get a jet stream map from 2/8/13? Been trying to find something. Came across an archive site but it only dates back to 2014. Or something which shows 500mb winds 

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

does anyone know where I can get a jet stream map from 2/8/13? Been trying to find something. Came across an archive site but it only dates back to 2014. Or something which shows 500mb winds 

you need a DJVU reader ( download for free) http://library.noaa.gov/Collections/Digital-Collections/US-Daily-Weather-Maps

Capture.JPG

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Thank you! hmm I wonder if the url to that page changed? I had that in my bookmarks but it said it was no longer found. I'll update it. 

Pickles and Scooter hated that PNA but wow what a storm

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pickles and Scooter hated that PNA but wow what a storm

Incredible. For my COM class tonight I'm putting together a weather package and I'm doing this storm. This class is pretty cool b/c I also get to practice writing and preparing weather stories in addition to just broadcasting. 

Something is up with NOAA/CPC. I sent NOAA an email stating that I was finding many +500mb anomalies that shouldn't be, having studied so many maps. "Warm injections". Shortly after there was a big pattern change, Stratosphere warming, record MJO, -SOI etc. Earlier today I made a comment about CPC being ridiculous in their 6-10 with >90% temps over the whole east coast, pretty far inland, something like "they are mentally in decline", it was to be a -NAO period with Stratosphere warming and -PNA hasn't established all winter. referring to Dec-Jan when they had above average precip every day for a month despite that it was obvious it was not going to precip. Weird seasonal forecasts too. A few minutes later there was a big shift and I found out later it was the Euro having 588 heights in DC. 

This is interesting ... for me anyway - 

I have opined at length, in the past,  ... how eastern N/A has been 'blessed' as a persistent negative region relative to the persistent curve of GW when looking at monthly NASA press releases regarding the subject matter, spanning back years worth of monitoring.  

Over at Phys.org, they have reposted a news letter para from, care of: 

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-polar-vortex-defies-climate-southeast.html   .. which sort of vindicates my position on that.  I find it interesting that others are taking notice, and though their focus is the SE and Midwest (seasonal dependency) I'd argue vehemently that this has encompassed our region at least to some extent, as well...   The excerpt ventures causality with agriculture which is fascinating for the summer part of this.. 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:09 PM, tamarack said:

The 3/19-20 storm dumped 24" at our NNJ home, and is the first 10"+ snowfall of my memory - was 21 months old for the Dec. 1947 storm, and the period 1950-55 was barren of big snowfalls.  (The nearest stations to my home failed to have a storm greater than 8" during the winters 49-50 thru 54-55, and were BN for snow in each of those.)  For whatever reason, I recall nothing at all from the 3/17/56 event, though nearly sites got 6-7".

3/19-20 was epic-also in NNJ.   Poorly forecasted with a huge positive bust.  Enormous drifts from that storm.

on 3/17/56-I have memory of a few hours of very heavy snow.   Kind of set the table for 2 days later.

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that the Government/NOAA seems to be surreptitiously making it harder and harder to find satellite feeds/URLs ... Particularly when the technology has already proven made it easier and they should disseminate without spending time finding it - aholes!

It's almost suspicious ...

8 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that the Government/NOAA seems to be surreptitiously making it harder and harder to find satellite feeds/URLs ... Particularly when the technology has already proven made it easier and they should disseminate without spending time finding it - aholes!

It's almost suspicious ...

Well I can guarantee there is nothing suspicious about it, but whether it is lack of resources (human or otherwise) I don't know. Our webpage is not great, and there are other sources that do a far better job than we do providing the new satellite. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_CONUS.php that is ours, but I like http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/ too

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Watching North Woods Law New Hampshire. I liked the Maine version more. Though it’s cool seeing some places I am somewhat familiar with. 

I like them both because they spend so much time in our CWA (NH obviously is entirely ours, and much of their filming in ME was western ME). Get to see places that we don't visit often, and sometimes there is even a weather related theme.

Awesome day yesterday at Bald Mtn Camps for Cystic Fibrosis record ride, Over 400 sleds, We the took a ride up to Quill Hill in Dallas Plantation @2,800' It over looks the Bigelow A and B Range and back towards Stratton where you can see the Bio Mass plant and Flagstaff Lake.

Flagstaff in the background.

21771ca0-a14d-4cef-bc6a-5f499b06062f_zps

Kennebago Mtn and Lake.

3310384d-2518-45db-85c8-2ccc4600a4b4_zps

Bigelow A Range in the right side of the pic in the far back.

1e811ead-32af-4c7e-bd60-27fbf30f53bd_zps

Rangeley Lake.

e70b6ca8-117d-47c5-afa2-fae18878be01_zps

Bald Mtn Camps on Mooselook Meguntic Lake.

a2ee45cf-9af1-451b-92f6-b2c81166e2ec_zps

f22ab581-3480-483a-a811-7d331fe2e831_zps

69272139-87a1-4b46-9a86-c78f48b069b0_zps