Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The damage is really something. You drive down rt 3 and it’s just trees freshly cut all on the side  of the road. Same with 93 up by Wilmington and beyond. Tons of fresh broken wood seen on the tree canopy  from branches and limbs broken. This had to be the most costly month in eastern mass since Bob in 91.

Do you think the wind did more damage, or the snow? Is the snow damage on par with what you saw in February 2013? I know areas north of taunton in 2013 had drier snow and less tree damage.

Neither Irene nor Sandy were hurricanes but Connecticut got hit hard by both storms and for all intents and purposes the CT shoreline had hurricane like storm surge shoreline flooding.  Westerly got hit with memorable coastal flooding in Sandy, but outside of the hybrid perfect storm that hit the south shore and the cape hard a couple months after bob in 1991 Rhode Island and Massachusetts have been barely touched by tropical systems the last quarter century. It's been 64 years since Carol in 1954 that southern new England has been hit with a crippling hurricane.  Within the next decade I think we have a pretty good chance.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, henry1978 said:

Do you think the wind did more damage, or the snow? Is the snow damage on par with what you saw in February 2013? I know areas north of taunton in 2013 had drier snow and less tree damage.

Neither Irene nor Sandy were hurricanes but Connecticut got hit hard by both storms and for all intents and purposes the CT shoreline had hurricane like storm surge shoreline flooding.  Westerly got hit with memorable coastal flooding in Sandy, but outside of the hybrid perfect storm that hit the south shore and the cape hard a couple months after bob in 1991 Rhode Island and Massachusetts have been barely touched by tropical systems the last quarter century. It's been 64 years since Carol in 1954 that southern new England has been hit with a crippling hurricane.  Within the next decade I think we have a pretty good chance.

I think Feb 13 holds the candle for damage. There were entire swaths of forest just leveled.  I feel like the wind did most damage this earlier this month, with the snow a close second from the mid month blizzard to my south. But put the two together, and it's costly. It also affected the interior with the second event wet snow. Tons of tree damage interior NE MA through metro west and interior SE MA in that one. Drive down 95 in Foxboro and you'll see what I mean. The cstl flooding was bad too. Some areas got water that never had it since '78. Pretty crazy month. Sandy and Irene were kind of a joke here.  Meh on those two. 

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The damage is really something. You drive down rt 3 and it’s just trees freshly cut all on the side  of the road. Same with 93 up by Wilmington and beyond. Tons of fresh broken wood seen on the tree canopy  from branches and limbs broken. This had to be the most costly month in eastern mass since Bob in 91.

Brush burning parties?

2 hours ago, White Rain said:

I am surprised there was any damage there at all, but I haven’t been there since the storm. If you haven’t seen it, it’s like a war zone along and just west of 495 where the temps were above freezing during that storm. Trees piled on top of each other, uprooted and branches snapped. There is an occasional branch broken west of there but very minor and easy to miss. I didn’t see a single branch down in our neighborhood, it wasn’t overly wet. 

It wasn’t a huge deal, but def. more tree damage than further north and west.  Nothing like what they got along 495, etc,

39 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Heard one lone peeper at about 430 this AM.  Took me by surprise, I can't ever recall hearing them this early up this way.

Were you at that location 6 years ago?  After March 20-22 brought 3 days at +/-80°, the peepers were in full cry.  So were the wood frog "quackers" - still silent around here this year.  We also have essentially full snow cover, 17" at the stake this morning though less on south aspect.

38 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Were you at that location 6 years ago?  After March 20-22 brought 3 days at +/-80°, the peepers were in full cry.  So were the wood frog "quackers" - still silent around here this year.  We also have essentially full snow cover, 17" at the stake this morning though less on south aspect.

Not this location, no, much more urban part of town.  Surprised to hear them given we had full coverage in the nearby wetlands until Wednesday.  

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Working up a sweat raking, feels great . Looking forward to summer, been booking mini vacations this week. White water rafting July 22nd , Block Island in August so far

Nice.  As am I.  I'm hoping to do some outside work but job has been crazy and I have also been building up a sizable offshoot business that eats up most of my spare time now.  Nights and weekends are busy working.  Vacation in 2 weeks will be a blessing.  Not sure if we've booked for Truro or not this year.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nice.  As am I.  I'm hoping to do some outside work but job has been crazy and I have also been building up a sizable offshoot business that eats up most of my spare time now.  Nights and weekends are busy working.  Vacation in 2 weeks will be a blessing.  Not sure if we've booked for Truro or not this year.

Being busy is great thing. 

With all the snow melt and Rain over the past few weeks, in Wilmington the conservation land which my house borders is totally swamped. If we don't get some drying or late April/ May freeze then this is going to be a hellacious mosquito summer in these parts. Those suckers are already flying around.

12 hours ago, tamarack said:

Peepers are a favorite sound for sure, especially when accompanied by 80 degree temps like 2012. 

The new house has quite a bit of semi-permanent wet area behind it, so I'll be curious if it actually supports a population back there. I know I'll have to hit up Eek and Brian for bird feeder recommendations.

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Peepers are a favorite sound for sure, especially when accompanied by 80 degree temps like 2012. 

The new house has quite a bit of semi-permanent wet area behind it, so I'll be curious if it actually supports a population back there. I know I'll have to hit up Eek and Brian for bird feeder recommendations.

Depends on what you want to see.  We just put out suet, some with the impregnated seeds.  When we had a seed mix, especially sunflower, we got squirreled.  Those rodents haven't messed with the suet.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Depends on what you want to see.  We just put out suet, some with the impregnated seeds.  When we had a seed mix, especially sunflower, we got squirreled.  Those rodents haven't messed with the suet.

These baffles have worked amazing for me.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WoodLink-1-Black-Steel-Bird-Feeder-Squirrel-Baffle/50321395

I put an 8ft galvanized pole 2ft into the ground and drilled/screwed some simple shepherd hooks into it. The baffle is about halfway up and in 3 years I have yet to have a squirrel, raccoon, or chippy get up it. I had an acrobatic red squirrel leap to it from my peach tree when I first installed it, but I pruned that branch off and it’s been mammal free since then.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

These baffles have worked amazing for me.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WoodLink-1-Black-Steel-Bird-Feeder-Squirrel-Baffle/50321395

I put an 8ft galvanized pole 2ft into the ground and drilled/screwed some simple shepherd hooks into it. The baffle is about halfway up and in 3 years I have yet to have a squirrel, raccoon, or chippy get up it. I had an acrobatic red squirrel leap to it from my peach tree when I first installed it, but I pruned that branch off and it’s been mammal free since then.

Ours is on a clothesline setup, so we can refill from the living room window, so that type of baffle isn't designed for our arrangement.  Have to admit it was funny watching squirrels "running" down the line upside down.

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

Nice. I guess I never realized that was actually possible. 

Yeah, if you can get a little elevation to get a clear view over the tree tops it's only about 65 miles as the crow flies. 

A few weekends back we had to make a trip to Maine Med, and my wife's room had a beautiful view of the Whites because the hospital sits up on the higher terrain parts of the West End. 

Archived