Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Some of the stupidest posts I’ve ever seen on this site. 

I am one of the most liberal guys around but I'm also pragmatic.  Not everyone is a bleeding heart like me.  Particularly in the southern part of this country.  I stand by every word I wrote.  Brett is considering moving.  he asked for our opinions.  I could've mentioned lower taxes, lower quality schools, guns, high class sizes, weaker unions, but we know all that.  he specifically mentioned twice that he is progressive.  I gave him a cultural report on life in the south and threw in a little sex to boot because I know my audience.  Very few New Englanders have spent much time in the southern states.  I have.  I've traveled every corner of this country trying to understand what motivates Americans to vote the way they do.  I think I've got a pretty good understanding.  Booking a fight out of BDL, PVD, BOS and ASH and flying to see Mickey and Minnie and Orlando doesn't qualify as traveling to the south.  Spending an hour at Hartsfield airport doesn't make a person an expert on the south.

I'm not gonna pretend there aren't problems in the black community that remain unaddressed which neither side of the political divide is doing anything to try to fix.  Bill O'Reilly pointed out these problems over the years and he was excoriated by the left as a racist.  But his audience responded.  Bill O'reilly used to get 3 million viewers a night Pre-trump during a time when no one including Hannity got ratings anything close to this.  He was saying things that were uncomfortable but in some respects true.  

I've spent time in Memphis.  It's rough.  And as someone who's spent time in the City of Houston bch2014, you know exactly what I mean.

Using the vorticity equation and thermal wind balance to explain the structure of the mid-latitude omega-block pattern, would the start of this response make sense? Still digging through some stuff trying to use the vorticity equation/thermal wind balance to explain why you get the ridging followed by the trough to complete the omega-block.

The structure of the omega-block pattern across the mid-latitudes (will use the United States to illustrate) can be described via the vorticity equation and thermal wind balance as follows. Using the concept of conservation of potential vorticity which states a parcel will keep the same value of potential vorticity if it moves along an adiabat through the atmosphere. As air parcels rise up the windward side of the Rocky Mountains, the depth of the parcels decrease and this results in a decrease in absolute vorticity as well. With vorticity decreasing, this results in a positive value which indicates divergence aloft. This results in anticuclonic shear and curvature vorticity on the upstream side of the Rockies. As the air parcels descend down the leeward side of the Rockies, the depth of the parcels increases and absolute vorticity increases as well which yields negative divergence (or convergence) within the vorticity equation. This results in cyclonic shear and curvature downstream of the Rockies which yields the development of a trough downstream of the Rocky Mountains. 

7 hours ago, henry1978 said:

I am one of the most liberal guys around but I'm also pragmatic.  Not everyone is a bleeding heart like me.  Particularly in the southern part of this country.  I stand by every word I wrote.  Brett is considering moving.  he asked for our opinions.  I could've mentioned lower taxes, lower quality schools, guns, high class sizes, weaker unions, but we know all that.  he specifically mentioned twice that he is progressive.  I gave him a cultural report on life in the south and threw in a little sex to boot because I know my audience.  Very few New Englanders have spent much time in the southern states.  I have.  I've traveled every corner of this country trying to understand what motivates Americans to vote the way they do.  I think I've got a pretty good understanding.  Booking a fight out of BDL, PVD, BOS and ASH and flying to see Mickey and Minnie and Orlando doesn't qualify as traveling to the south.  Spending an hour at Hartsfield airport doesn't make a person an expert on the south.

I'm not gonna pretend there aren't problems in the black community that remain unaddressed which neither side of the political divide is doing anything to try to fix.  Bill O'Reilly pointed out these problems over the years and he was excoriated by the left as a racist.  But his audience responded.  Bill O'reilly used to get 3 million viewers a night Pre-trump during a time when no one including Hannity got ratings anything close to this.  He was saying things that were uncomfortable but in some respects true.  

I've spent time in Memphis.  It's rough.  And as someone who's spent time in the City of Houston bch2014, you know exactly what I mean.

The problems in the poorer black communities are deeply rooted, that’s a discussion for another time, but the second you mentioned poverty....you focused just on them? You neglect to mention whites which have 17 million in poverty, the highest of all races. Hispanics are 11mill and Blacks with 9 mill. Granted there are more whites in the nation. So while 22% of blacks are in poverty compared to ‘only’ 9% whites...lets not pretend their aren’t problems in the poor white areas either. For some reason though, they mostly go unoticed. It’s always the minorities that trigger the debate. 

36 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

That is great.  I am a huge pinball fan.

You will have to come visit!

Mystic Pinball in Turners Falls, across the river from Greenfield.   Only open about 18 hours a week.  Tuesday open tournament and weekends.  The owner is a hobbyist and has it dialed in.  Rotates in different machines monthly.  Time disappears and $20 or so in tokens buys you hours of fun and a wee bit of learning frustration. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The problems in the poorer black communities are deeply rooted, that’s a discussion for another time, but the second you mentioned poverty....you focused just on them? You neglect to mention whites which have 17 million in poverty, the highest of all races. Hispanics are 11mill and Blacks with 9 mill. Granted there are more whites in the nation. So while 22% of blacks are in poverty compared to ‘only’ 9% whites...lets not pretend their aren’t problems in the poor white areas either. For some reason though, they mostly go unoticed. It’s always the minorities that trigger the debate. 

We were discussing the south.  Poverty among whites is certainly a problem, particularly in Appalachia.  But in my travels across all the southern states I have been struck by the level of poverty I have witnessed among African americans that I had never seen among African americans in Washington, DC or New York City.  Since the young man was seeking opinions on moving to the south, I can rephrase it by saying when you travel to the south, you will see more poor people than you will ever see in Massachusetts.  That is a fact.  There is a social safety net in the Northeastern states that you do not have in the southern states.  This is why taxes are higher in the Northeast.  and this is why people are forced to leave the northeast and move to the sunbelt, because the cost of living is more affordable as we all know.  

11 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You will have to come visit!

Mystic Pinball in Turners Falls, across the river from Greenfield.   Only open about 18 hours a week.  Tuesday open tournament and weekends.  The owner is a hobbyist and has it dialed in.  Rotates in different machines monthly.  Time disappears and $20 or so in tokens buys you hours of fun and a wee bit of learning frustration. 

That is awesome.  I might actually do that.  

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Worst than Jan 15?

Jan 15 map was accurate. It has western CT in 4 to 10 and I received 7. 

This map is completely incorrect. Western CT received 10 plus and this shows less than 4. 

It seems as though they attached the wrong map. No way they can make that big of an error.

46 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

This map is completely incorrect. Western CT received 10 plus and this shows less than 4. 

It seems as though they attached the wrong map. No way they can make that big of an error.

Oh I misread you...nevermind. I thought you were saying worst storm ever...lol.  

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

3/5-3/8 seems off also.  Just looking at my area--its definitely underdone in WMA and SVT(even down to WCT too).  Should be BIG swath of 20-30 and a decent 30+ area also. Maybe they don't put as much detail into an area where 17 people live.

Edit--NESIS image isnt showing up..lol.  But its off some

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-content/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis/20180305-20180308-3.45.jpg

ALYSnowfallAnalysisPublic.png

Archived