Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

43 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... I was looking primarily in the lowlands of southern South Carolina.... I’ve been told that area may be one of the nicest natural areas in the world.

my fiancés step father has a place in myrtle beach, so if something doesn’t change in he next few months, I might head down there to test the waters

We were there last July......god awful hot/humid.....I mean I can't stand the heat/humidity up here but down there its just unrelenting.....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer in the Carolinas is disgusting...if you aren't on the beach, then it's death. Then if you like winter wx, forget it. Esp if you are used to New England winter wx. But on the plus side, if you like golf, then you're all set.

At least in New England we get 3 good seasons, only spring makes me want to swallow a pistol. Summer is pleasant most of the time and autumn/winter are my two favorites.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Summer in the Carolinas is disgusting...if you aren't on the beach, then it's death. Then if you like winter wx, forget it. Esp if you are used to New England winter wx. But on the plus side, if you like golf, then you're all set.

At least in New England we get 3 good seasons, only spring makes me want to swallow a pistol. Summer is pleasant most of the time and autumn/winter are my two favorites.

Yeah, it’s definitely not my first choice, but at some point I have to try something different to see if I can’t jump start a career.

My fiancé went two summers ago and said the weather was brutal. She described it as living in a sauna. After a minute outside you’d already be soaked in sweat.

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, it’s definitely not my first choice, but at some point I have to try something different to see if I can’t jump start a career.

My fiancé went two summers ago and said the weather was brutal. She described it as living in a sauna. After a minute outside you’d already be soaked in sweat.

It's real fun stepping out of the AC when your skin is cool enough to condense the moisture right out of the air. Technically not sweat, but it doesn't feel any better.

l

27 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Except when you get the odd CAT 5 Hugo running up yer fanny.

Meh

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

May have just had my last winter up here.

Starting to look south for better job prospects. Been a year and a half almost since I graduated and I haven’t sniffed anything worth staying for. 

Hopefully more opportunities would be open down south.

Lookiing in the South Carolina, Georgia area.

What did you major in and what are you trying to do? Is the job market THAT bad in SE MA that you have no hope....sometimes careers start slowly but knowledgable recruiters (more than 1) make all the difference. Never rely on applying online on the 50 different apps and websites. Go local go old school, apply in person, and again.....recruiters!

Yea, the SE sucks...not just the weather but if you enjoy progressive people and culture, it is a shock down there. It is why my wife and I ran out of the Charlotte suburbs within 8 months. Maybe that won’t bother you, some may enjoy it...to each is own.

Good luck man, wherever you go. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

l

Meh

What did you major in and what are you trying to do? Is the job market THAT bad in SE MA that you have no hope....sometimes careers start slowly but knowledgable recruiters (more than 1) make all the difference. Never rely on applying online on the 50 different apps and websites. Go local go old school, apply in person, and again.....recruiters!

Yea, the SE sucks...not just the weather but if you enjoy progressive people and culture, it is a shock down there. It is why my wife and I ran out of the Charlotte suburbs within 8 months. Maybe that won’t bother you, some may enjoy it...to each is own.

Good luck man, wherever you go. 

Criminal justice. I’ve applied to jobs in various directions from that.... nada. Doesn’t even have to be that at this point, if we’re being honest.

I haven’t used recruiters. How does that really even work? Not too familiar with that.

Yeah ultimately, my fiancé and I are both very progressive and we’ve talked how it would be a huge culture shock. Plus, all our family is in this area.

We joke, we kid about snow, but thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

37 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's real fun stepping out of the AC when your skin is cool enough to condense the moisture right out of the air. Technically not sweat, but it doesn't feel any better.

Days and days of 77F dewpoints in the Iowa cornfields.

Coastal APF was actually tolerable. There was enough stability from the ocean that we would stay sunny most of the day with a nice breeze. By mid afternoon we’d get our almost daily thunderstorm as the outflow from interior storms worked its way to the coast. Go a handful of miles inland though and most of the day was cloudy, with terrible dews, dead air, and mosquitoes. 

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Don't forget the insects. In addition to the usual mosquitoes, yellow jackets etc, there are flying roaches, fire ants, chiggers, zillions of crickets. There are also lots of copperheads, water moccasins and even alligators in that region. Also, pollen and mold are a big problem. If you have allergies, you're in for a world of pain. If you don't have allergies, you probably will after 10 years.

When driving down I95, my wife actually starts sneezing around Stamford CT, she claims it's not air pollution around NYC it's the mold, she's pretty sensitive to that stuff.  I do notice a change in the air, too. New England air is crisper and fresher somehow.

There isn't enough money in the world for me to live in the SE US.  Add together the weather with cultural aspects (Bible belt and politics)... no thanks, pass every time.

Huge props though TauntonWx if you pull the trigger... gotta do what you gotta do to support yourself and wife.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I've accidentally driven to the wrong apartment after a mid, so it's possible. :lol:

Shortly after getting my driver's license, I walked the half mile home from the local beach, then remembered I'd driven in.  (New drivers will take the car for a 100-yard trip.  Most don't forget about it.)

59 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Criminal justice. I’ve applied to jobs in various directions from that.... nada. Doesn’t even have to be that at this point, if we’re being honest.

I haven’t used recruiters. How does that really even work? Not too familiar with that.

Yeah ultimately, my fiancé and I are both very progressive and we’ve talked how it would be a huge culture shock. Plus, all our family is in this area.

We joke, we kid about snow, but thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

OK, there is still hope to keep you in SNE.

A recruiter is someone who gets you interviews because they work directly with the HR dept of the companies. They have a track record, a business relationship, with those companies. You bypass all that bs of mass applying where your resume is just 1 of hundreds or thousands. Most small to mid size companies would rather work with a recruiter who searches for talent. They dont’t want to sidt through hundreds of resumes and play pin the best donkey. 

You build a relationship with your recruiter(s), tell them what you would do what your interest are.... and they send you job descriptions of positions that they feel you would be a good fit. Your read over the job description and they’ll submit your resume directly to HR. They hype you up, you go to the ‘front of the line’, and you pretty much have interview asap. 

In two years, I went from basically starting my career from scratch making nothing at age 35.....I went through a recruiter who got me into my last position, which was a decent step up. But a year later I asked them I was searching again, I wanted ‘better’. Couple weeks later I have my interviews....which turned into my current employment.

I’m making 4 times the amount I was this time in 2016. That would have never happenned on my own. 

I don’t know any recruiters in your area in your field, but start searching for them. Robert Half is a big one, they have branches all over. Then there are local receuiters too. Ask around. You got this! 

Grew up in Mass, went to school in Houston for the last 3.5 years and I’m starting a job in the Dallas area in July. 

The heat SUCKS during the summer, but you honestly get used to it. It’s weird, because being outside in heat doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, but I can’t stand being back home in buildings/homes that lack air conditioning, even when it’s only 80-85. 

There’s plenty of CJ work between the prisons, CBP/ICE, etc, so perhaps look there if you want a job, cheaper COL, while still having the amenities and culture of big cities. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I spent a week in Charleston in September 2016 and then a few days in upstate SC for the eclipse last summer, both were just intolerable from a humidity standpoint. It's a shame because Charleston, Greenville, Columbia etc. always seem like such nice places to live with plenty of things to keep you busy, but there would be entire months where I wouldn't be able to do anything outside. Probably similar to how the general public feels about our cold winters.

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I spent a week in Charleston in September 2016 and then a few days in upstate SC for the eclipse last summer, both were just intolerable from a humidity standpoint. It's a shame because Charleston, Greenville, Columbia etc. always seem like such nice places to live with plenty of things to keep you busy, but there would be entire months where I wouldn't be able to do anything outside. Probably similar to how the general public feels about our cold winters.

Ya man....like the people down there just go about their days like the heat isn't there....I could never live there....no way

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There isn't enough money in the world for me to live in the SE US.  Add together the weather with cultural aspects (Bible belt and politics)... no thanks, pass every time.

Huge props though TauntonWx if you pull the trigger... gotta do what you gotta do to support yourself and wife.

I'd have no problem with the Bible belt, and have friends (daughter's in-laws) in GSP, but even there at 1,000+ elev the climate is ugly hot in summer with much 40° RA in winter.  (And when it's colder, one can't drive anywhere because roads aren't treated and 99%+ of folks there have no idea how to drive in wintry wx.)

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Folks jogging around town in the middle of the day at 94/73... it's insanity.

Probably the worst way to step out of your door in the morning is into 75/75......like the dews just never get below 70 I don't think in the summer....ever.....

I really miss the CA summer in that sense......it may get to 95 or 100 but with a dew point at 55 the temp can actually recover down to something manageable once the sun has set......summer evenings are epic out there

48 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd have no problem with the Bible belt, and have friends (daughter's in-laws) in GSP, but even there at 1,000+ elev the climate is ugly hot in summer with much 40° RA in winter.  (And when it's colder, one can't drive anywhere because roads aren't treated and 99%+ of folks there have no idea how to drive in wintry wx.)

I find people down south to be a lot friendlier than up here...and I've spent plenty of time down there. But I can't stand the humidity. In Texas, I was able to tolerate the central Texas summers better because they stay drier than the gulf coast areas...almost semi-arid at times. You do get used to the heat...but not sure I'd be able to handle the southeast in summer with the extra humidity. I'm sure I'd cope, but it still sucks having to spend a lot of time indoors in the AC.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah. My fiancé and I are pretty progressive so it would be something for sure lol.

I may look into taking a trip down there for a week or so. I have plenty of time at the moment and some savings left, so it might be nice to at least scope out the area and what not. As I mentioned my fiancé’s step father has a place there so I wouldn’t need to pay for hotels while I’m there. 

Would also get me away from the worst month of the year in New England... April lol

I was in a dental office in memphis a few years ago in an upscale suburb.  All the staffers were racist and it didn't even occur to them how racist they were.  They were casual about it and probably didn't realize how cruel they came across.  All of them were strong church goers.  I saw tremendous poverty among black people in the city of Memphis.  All the shopping centers have security guards patrolling the shopping center parking lots because there are so many poor African americans begging for money.

Coastal south Carolina is slightly more progressive than the rest of the south but not significantly so. The vast majority of white southerners, on average 75% or higher in most areas, vote republican, and are more conservative than white conservatives in new England.  There's a broader black middle class in the south than there is in the northeast.  But there's tremendous black poverty in the southern states that you really don't see in the north.  White people in the south are less educated and less cosmopolitan than you see in most of eastern Massachusetts.  Both black and white people are far more religious in the south than they are in new England.

Yankee accents are not as thick as they used to be up here.  Southern accents among blacks and whites remain very thick and at times for me when I'm down there it's tough to understand people.  People in the south are fatter than they are in new England.  Especially the women.  More people smoke in the south than in new England.  You can buy booze in the grocery store in the south at Kroger.  The younger men in the south I find to be more macho and less progressive than new England college young guys.  More guys identify as a mans man in the south.  You won't find many metrosexuals in the south like you'll find walking into an office building in the back bay or getting off the path train from new jersey.  You'll see very few members of LGBT community.

people don't exercise as much in the south as much as they do in new England.  You won't be hearing very often "I gotta get my cardio in."  On sunday afternoons you'll see a lot of families all dressed up in restaurants after having just left church.  In a lot of these restaurants you'll see four generations of black families eating together.  NFL football sunday isn't as big in the south as it is in new England, but college football Saturday of course is a lot bigger.

In the winter away from the ocean the grass turns to straw like the inside of a barn. some days you'll love the accents.  some days you'll find them grating.

So Brett, when are you booking your ticket? lol.  I'm not dogging the south.  Parts of the south have a gone with the wind quality I love.  It's just that you mentioned you and your fiancé are progressive so this could be a cultural shock for you because it is different. 

Despite the racism people are indeed nicer in the south.  New Englanders complain a lot and are quite negative.  But new Englanders are not nearly as rude as new Yorkers.  I find people in southern California to be nice, and happy.  And good looking.  No place is perfect.  My favorite spots in America are Malibu, santa monica and pacific palisades overlooking the pacific ocean.

The sex is better in the hotels in the south.  I've heard some hard core screwing in some 2.5 star holiday inns and Hampton inns in the south. Despite being more religious I still can't believe some of the sounds I've heard in some of those hotels.  Preppy northerners and the prim are propers are a lot quieter or less sexually active.  Check into a hotel near an interstate in the south and be prepared to hear some sounds you aint never heard before. I've been in hotels and heard sounds so prodigious I couldn't help but wait in my room the next room morning to see what some of these fiends looked like.  I've heard women make noises that I thought had chipped paint off the walls right through the sheetrock.

north Carolina is the only quasi progressive state in the south because of all the prestigious universities and all the research and tech companies.  a lot of non native southerners have moved to north Carolina in recent years.  But it's certainly not Massachusetts politically.  It's a battleground state that still leans red but is not bright bright red like south Carolina or red like Georgia.  Hillary was a fool.  She wasted so much time in north Carolina, lost by three, when all she had to do was step foot in WI, campaign more than one stop in MI, and campaign in other areas of PA other than PHL and Pittsburgh.  Breathtaking, and shocking stupidity but the liberal network MSNBC is sure elated she lost because their profits are through the roof.  

My advice Brett..stick it out one more year in Massachusetts and buy a fixer upper in the middle of SE MA.  all the booming areas in the south are well inland.  It's not like driving an hour to the cape or 35 minutes to horseneck beach to see the ocean.  The Carolina coast is for retirees and military.  As a young man in the south you'll be competing against young men with military experience.  the economy along the coast for a young professional isn't that great.  stay In shape and keep your fiancé happy.  a woman's first marriage is always for love.  It's the second one that's for money so you have several years to get things going before she's ready to take a walk.

Archived