Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

39 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

golf season is so close. Plus I’m building a driving range and putting green in the backyard. 

Still, this should be a good event down here. Deff not nam/herpes like but even when we weenie out over them we know that is the extreme solution. No one should take it verbatim. Still like my 10-14 call for swct.

17 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Say what?

yeah seriously gonna need to see some pics when  done

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week I was in Freeport, and briefly Boston ... using a shovel to clear out the snow in order to get my rental car out of the parking space.

Then I went HOME for a few days to SUNNY WARM YAAAAY GEORGIA, omg to have the windows open in the home office! Firing up the grill for steaks! Flipflops and t-shirts outside! Calling the lawn elves to schedule the first cut!  Sleeping with the heater off and windows open!  ... keeping an eye on the model activity for Monday storm system ...

Then yesterday finds me using a chainsaw to clear out the fallen trees and branches (AFTER the electric company had cleared away the downed lines) in order to get my truck out of the garage.

From blizzard to tornado in under a week.  And tonight's a freeze warning.

Can't we just enjoy this stuff from a distance and not have to be our own darned case studies?

5 minutes ago, SharonA said:

Last week I was in Freeport, and briefly Boston ... using a shovel to clear out the snow in order to get my rental car out of the parking space.

Then I went HOME for a few days to SUNNY WARM YAAAAY GEORGIA, omg to have the windows open in the home office! Firing up the grill for steaks! Flipflops and t-shirts outside! Calling the lawn elves to schedule the first cut!  Sleeping with the heater off and windows open!  ... keeping an eye on the model activity for Monday storm system ...

Then yesterday finds me using a chainsaw to clear out the fallen trees and branches (AFTER the electric company had cleared away the downed lines) in order to get my truck out of the garage.

From blizzard to tornado in under a week.  And tonight's a freeze warning.

Can't we just enjoy this stuff from a distance and not have to be our own darned case studies?

That's intense! Hope not too much damage. Glad you got to experience our snow!

ORH cracks 40F for the first time in 17 days....pretty impressive streak in March. Even more impressive is that the lowest max during that time was 30F. Nothing brutally cold, but very consistent below average....all those days had highs in the 30s.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:23 AM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am amazed how much snow is OTG in central MA.   There is hardly anything from the east slope of the Berkshires to the Quabbin  and then once past Athol the snow increases exponentially.

Obviously the huge Mar 13 storm has a lot to do with that (and even the Mar 7-8 storm which crushed ORH county)...but the elevation gradient really starts showing up in March I've always noticed more than any other month. The extra several hundred feet for some reason seems to matter a lot during the diurnal melting of the march sun. The map shows it well....

On a side note...this map supports Ray's jackpot in the Mar 13 event too....lol, look at that depth bullseye near Wilmington in NE MA

Mar21_snowdepth.png

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Obviously the huge Mar 13 storm has a lot to do with that (and even the Mar 7-8 storm which crushed ORH county)...but the elevation gradient really starts showing up in March I've always noticed more than any other month. The extra several hundred feet for some reason seems to matter a lot during the diurnal melting of the march sun. The map shows it well....

On a side note...this map supports Ray's jackpot in the Mar 13 event too....lol, look at that depth bullseye near Wilmington in NE MA

Mar21_snowdepth.png

What that map also shows well is how in Franklin County even the high elevations were kind of screwed on snowfall this month.   I know this area well and some of those areas 15 miles east and west of the river are easily over 1000'  and still pretty bare relative to areas much further east or west.

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Those snow maps can seem way off to me at times, I’m not sure why. I drive to Natick all the time and the snowpack around here is way more, yet it’s not refelected in the maps. My yard has depths of 10-14” and it gets a fair bit of sun, average anyways. Even where it’s schorched daily is full cover, where as east there is grass showing all over the place. The snow actually changes a lot over just a short distance east of here.

In interior eastern MA i've noticed the snow is really dependent on how much sun it is getting. You drive through the fairly wooded areas and depths are still running at least 8-10" but on the sun-scorched intersections and clearings (esp ones that face S or W) you see bare spots.

Since most areas are wooded and we dont drive through them, we don't see it and we get the impression of only where we see. In E MA especially...the roads all tend to be in busier areas with more traffic than out west. It shows up in the snow depths from coop/cocorahs too. In middlesex county near Natick, I see a 9" depth this morning and then right near it I see a 4" depth.

That said, I agree the maps can be deceptive at times...it's often sensing the water in the snow ad sometimes thinks a 4" pack with a lot of water is deeper than it actually is.

The more sunny days we get this time of year the more bipolar the snowpack gets.  You could have bare spots in the front yard and 18-24" in the backyard under the evergreens.

So hard to quantify snowpack the deeper into Spring you go.  Like Gene in NH at 1,300ft could be completely bare as he faces south, while some guy in a sheltered yard at 500ft has 16".  Even elevation won't save it if you face south.

Also we see it a lot around here where mid-slope stays mildest at night, so down in town we mix warm/dry daytime but quickly go below freezing in the evening while the 1,200-2,000ft range holds all night at 36F, compared to 24F at MVL.  

The lower elevations in radiational country can hold on just as well as higher terrain with the longer overnight freezes, especially if it takes till 9-10am to mix out above freezing.

That probably isn't as prevalent in SNE though where lower elevations do t have the huge diurnal ranges.

5 minutes ago, White Rain said:

My in laws who have a very shaded yard with north exposure have about 18”on the ground. There is a few yards near here like that as well including my neighbor.

There's a yard about 5 houses away that has a lot of tall white pines shading it and it faces northeast....all the bushes in the front are completely smothered in snow that looks like soft serve ice cream as if all the March 7-8 and Mar 13 snow fell just a couple days ago....must still be at least 15-18" on the bushes.

Just now, White Rain said:

From my drive which includes a mix of back roads and highway there was a very large difference after the second nor’easter, the third seemed similar from here east. There was a drop off down the hill and then past where the coastal front set up. But that is largely driving the difference in my opinion.

Those maps also seem to amplify snow more than reality in elevations at times. Sometimes that is accurate, but in this case of a couple of the storms there was a lot more snow that fell to the east and unlike some years my jaunts to Princeton and west for snow tubing down seem like more snow as you would think from this maps. Some years there really is that much more snow by the mountain.

I think those maps also take the temp of the snow into account. That's another reason it can over amplify the elevational effect at times.

It is amazing how woods play a role. I saw it in 2015, probably the most stark comparison I can recall. My folks live in a wooded area. They can get half the snow I get, but they'll keep it longer..lol. White Pines are the best because the needles really blanket out the sun.

What a bipolar month now and this cold snap was incredibly impressive.

The first 15 days were all above normal departures...not a single even 0F departure in the first two weeks.

Then it got frigid.  A series of days with -20s departures thrown in.

We went from +2.8F to -1.6F on the month in 5 days.  I'm not sure I can recall a 5 day stretch like this just owning the month's departures regardless of the first 15 days all above normal.

March_2018.jpg.40b677a7c4d147694ade18ab68abe9c6.jpg

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Congrats to them.  Any idea why they moved?  Do they lease the space?

Still shows as Taunton on the site.   Edit...I do know it is very close to the old office.

They leased, and I'm not sure why they decided to end the relationship, but either way they moved about 1500 feet away just over the line into Norton.

They were going to just drop Taunton and keep Boston in their title, but Norton wanted to have some recognition. So it'll be:

National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
1027 AM EDT Fri Mar 23 2018

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They leased, and I'm not sure why they decided to end the relationship, but either way they moved about 1500 feet away just over the line into Norton.

They were going to just drop Taunton and keep Boston in their title, but Norton wanted to have some recognition. So it'll be:

1500 feet away. Lol

56 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I wonder if one of them, on a day they are really tired driving into work, will accidentally drive to the old place...

Drove by the new facility today... it literally can’t be more than a quarter mile from the old one. It’s really close.

The Taunton industrial park borders norton anyway. There is a road that runs parallel to the actual industrial park but it’s in norton, and this new place is off of that.

if anyone is familiar with the area it’s the road that begins right in front of the holiday inn

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

May have just had my last winter up here.

Starting to look south for better job prospects. Been a year and a half almost since I graduated and I haven’t sniffed anything worth staying for. 

Hopefully more opportunities would be open down south.

Lookiing in the South Carolina, Georgia area.

Coastal SC would be awesome. Stay away from GA.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Coastal SC would be awesome. Stay away from GA.

Yeah... I was looking primarily in the lowlands of southern South Carolina.... I’ve been told that area may be one of the nicest natural areas in the world.

my fiancés step father has a place in myrtle beach, so if something doesn’t change in he next few months, I might head down there to test the waters

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... I was looking primarily in the lowlands of southern South Carolina.... I’ve been told that area may be one of the nicest natural areas in the world.

my fiancés step father has a place in myrtle beach, so if something doesn’t change in he next few months, I might head down there to test the waters

Except when you get the odd CAT 5 Hugo running up yer fanny.

Archived