Binghamton: 30.1" (7th highest)
Islip: 13.5" (4th highest)
Syracuse: 42.2" (3rd highest)

Records for additional Select Locations:
Albany: 50.9", 1888
Binghamton: 46.5", 2001
Islip: 23.3", 1967
Syracuse: 54.4", 1993

Thanks Don. My local nearby Coop in North Foster RI with stats since 1974 has had 38.1 so far, their previous records

1 32.9 1993-03-31 0
2 28.0 2001-03-31 0
3 25.4 2005-03-31

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks Don. My local nearby Coop in North Foster RI with stats since 1974 has had 38.1 so far, their previous records

1 32.9 1993-03-31 0
2 28.0 2001-03-31 0
3 25.4 2005-03-31

Thanks for this information. That figure will very likely exceed 40" by the time March concludes.

11 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Monthly Snowfall through March 15:

March Snowfall for Select New England Cities:
Bangor: 32.5" (7th highest)
Boston: 21.9" (Tied 6th highest)
Bridgeport: 11.5" (9th highest)
Burlington: 30.1" (8th highest)
Concord: 28.1" (11th highest)
Manchester: 31.5" (2nd highest)
Portland: 31.6" (8th highest)
Worcester: 40.0" (2nd highest)

Records:
Bangor: 41.5", 1956
Boston: 38.9", 1993
Bridgeport: 21.8", 1967
Burlington: 47.6", 2001
Concord: 38.3", 1956
Manchester: 37.7", 1916
Portland: 49.0", 1993
Worcester: 44.1", 1993

March Snowfall for additional Select Locations:
Albany: 36.0" (3rd highest)
Binghamton: 30.1" (7th highest)
Islip: 13.5" (4th highest)
Syracuse: 42.2" (3rd highest)

Records for additional Select Locations:
Albany: 50.9", 1888
Binghamton: 46.5", 2001
Islip: 23.3", 1967
Syracuse: 54.4", 1993

MHT seems to be low from the last event. Looks like its 17.3" on the F6. I feel like they come in low in alot of powder storms, maybe they measure in an exposed area. They spent more time in that band than CON who came in with 17.1". 

All the reports near the airport were 22"+. I am only 7-8 miles SE of the airport and I am at 42.5" for the month. The Hudson COOP a few miles west of me is at 46.0", while the Hampstead COOP a few miles east is at 44.0", Epping COOP 39.0".  I know we've maxed to the south and east of MHT the last 2 events, but 31.0" seems low...oh well it is what it is

15 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

MHT seems to be low from the last event. Looks like its 17.3" on the F6. I feel like they come in low in alot of powder storms, maybe they measure in an exposed area. They spent more time in that band than CON who came in with 17.1". 

All the reports near the airport were 22"+. I am only 7-8 miles SE of the airport and I am at 42.5" for the month. The Hudson COOP a few miles west of me is at 46.0", while the Hampstead COOP a few miles east is at 44.0", Epping COOP 39.0".  I know we've maxed to the south and east of MHT the last 2 events, but 31.0" seems low...oh well it is what it is

It could be low. You're probably right about the measurement area.

13 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I think @OceanStWx said the CON observer does 6hrly obs and the MHT observer sends them one 24hr total.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think @OceanStWx said the CON observer does 6hrly obs and the MHT observer sends them one 24hr total.

That would explain why they seem lower in powder/windier events. This stuff compacted pretty quick. I measured twice 22" and then another 3.5" the next morning, but my new depth was only like 22.5" by morning. Pittsburg fluff where it has to snow 3"/day to maintain depth.

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... I that sounds like generational grandiosity :)    ... it's natural to covet one's own as a humanly bias.

Though it is getting increasingly rarefied to find any present culturally over-stimulated-into-A.D.D. 'younger folk' even capable of being transfixed by activities that require the focused attention of baseball's between-the-bleacher story-lines... , to those who are out there and were literally not a part of that former reality (...back in the last century ...) they probably annul events in a different degree of awe-factor.  

The first time ever in history, a team coming back from an 0-3 hole in a Championship Series, 2004 Red Sox vs the Yankees, to stun the entire cinematic audience of that particular show ...they prooooobably thinks that's pretty damn high on that list, if not arguable the best baseball story ever told.  Because it wasn't just one game... it was sudden death in three consecutive games, each one have infinite proportioned stakes... It's like that one 1978 game, times three -   

Just like history will regard April 1 1997 as a more significant weather event compared to this past fluffier snowstorm I believe sports and cultural history regards October 2 1978 as a more important singular event compared to October 2004 which was spread out over 4 nights during a time when football had undisputably taken over as America's leading sport.  On a summer night in 1978 within 60 miles of boston depending on the strength of your antenna you could watch reruns of All in the Family or Happy Days on the big 3 networks, or old movies on Channels 25, 38, or 56.  NESN didn't exist and wsbk 38 primarily only broadcast weekend games.  Baseball was king, there weren't as many modern diversions and people hung on every pitch and read about it in the newspaper the morning after. Many people listened to Ned Martin on the radio on these summer nights on their front porches.  By 2004 instead of 5-6 channels most people had 200, blackberries were becoming popular, the internet was maturing, jet travel was cheaper, people were flying everywhere, everyone had their own car, and instead of spending an arm and a leg on long distance phone calls like yesteryear people could spend all night calling pretty much anywhere essentially for free.

Watch the 2 hour 37 minute youtube video.  You may agree.  You may enjoy the drama, and the simplicity, the beauty of baseball and Fenway Park.  And the guys used to hustle. Can anyone imagine what billy martin or earl weaver would do to david Ortiz watching him loaf to first base?  I certainly regard reggie, rice, munson and fisk more favorably than arod or manny.  I wasn't around in 1978, but I'd certainly rather watch a 2 hour 30 minute game every night instead of the 3 hour and 30 minute games today that are killing the sport and forcing the commissioner's office to come up with ideas to keep baseball viable.

17 minutes ago, henry1978 said:

Just like history will regard April 1 1997 as a more significant weather event compared to this past fluffier snowstorm I believe sports and cultural history regards October 2 1978 as a more important singular event compared to October 2004 which was spread out over 4 nights during a time when football had undisputably taken over as America's leading sport.  On a summer night in 1978 within 60 miles of boston depending on the strength of your antenna you could watch reruns of All in the Family or Happy Days on the big 3 networks, or old movies on Channels 25, 38, or 56.  NESN didn't exist and wsbk 38 primarily only broadcast weekend games.  Baseball was king, there weren't as many modern diversions and people hung on every pitch and read about it in the newspaper the morning after. Many people listened to Ned Martin on the radio on these summer nights on their front porches.  By 2004 instead of 5-6 channels most people had 200, blackberries were becoming popular, the internet was maturing, jet travel was cheaper, people were flying everywhere, everyone had their own car, and instead of spending an arm and a leg on long distance phone calls like yesteryear people could spend all night calling pretty much anywhere essentially for free.

Watch the 2 hour 37 minute youtube video.  You may agree.  You may enjoy the drama, and the simplicity, the beauty of baseball and Fenway Park.  And the guys used to hustle. Can anyone imagine what billy martin or earl weaver would do to david Ortiz watching him loaf to first base?  I certainly regard reggie, rice, munson and fisk more favorably than arod or manny.  I wasn't around in 1978, but I'd certainly rather watch a 2 hour 30 minute game every night instead of the 3 hour and 30 minute games today that are killing the sport and forcing the commissioner's office to come up with ideas to keep baseball viable.

It's certainly subjective ... And, probably it is like comparing Ali to Tyson (before the latter's meltdown), when they were in their respective "hay"-days.  It's a debate that never can have anything other than a subjective opinion/resolution and therefore, could intrinsically be flawed.  

Although, I am not sure why the amount of exposure in having increased telecom cultural standards has anything to do with adding or diminishing affects - I guess... I just don't automatically see why that's important, personally.   

I'll also add, "...Over 4 nights during a time when football had undistputedly taken over as America's leading sport..." That's not really diminishing 2004 in lieu of 1978 for me using logic: If it is not popular, that nullifies the discussion to those not in that popularity circuit, perhaps... but for those who ARE still in the popularity circuit of baseball, that's where the comparison should be made. It sounds like we are conflating captive audience here, versus audiences that have an option out side of one channel for entertainment - I'm not sure just on the surface if that should diminish the significance of what 2004, and what base-ball achievement-wise had to overcome of adversity in order to win .... again, three times without the option of a single failure. 

1978 was huge...  So was 2004. I'm pretty comfortable leaving it at that. 

11 hours ago, henry1978 said:

October 2 1978, Yankees lead the Red sox 5-4.  Bottom of the ninth, two men on, one man out.  League MVP  Jim Rice steps up to the plate facing Goose Gossage. Gossage has absolutely nothing and is struggling on every pitch.  Jim Rice swings and goes deep to right. It would've been a home run in Yankee Stadium where it's 353 feet but at Fenway its a long out and Yaz then pops out to end the game.

This entire game is on youtube.  all anyone ever talks about is bucky dent but truth be told It's one of the best baseball games ever played and the mid 70s red sox turned boston from a hockey town into a baseball town. The game was broadcast on tv 38 with the hawk ken harrelson, abc with Keith Jackson but YouTube has the Yankee Wpix feed with Phil Rizzuto going all Archie Bunker on sox pitcher mike Torrez, Phil Rizzuto saying he thought a former red sox player was gonna bite him in the press box when bucky dent hit the home run.  You'll notice the pace of play and how fast it was. No banging spikes with the bat a la nomar, no stepping out of the box a la jeter, no adjusting elbow pads a la arod, no taking off ankle pads, Fisk and Munson weren't walking to the mound every 30 seconds. no ads all over fenway, no 600 club, no montster seats, no loud music.  Just sherm feller, an organ and 33 thousand fans watching one of the greatest sporting events ever. many baseball games had historic moments. Mazeroski 1960 home run, Gibson home run, Fisk home run, buckner, boone, damon grand slam, Koufax, but nothing beats 1978.

GREAT write up...

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... I that sounds like generational grandiosity :)    ... it's natural to covet one's own as a humanly bias.

Though it is getting increasingly rarefied to find any present culturally over-stimulated-into-A.D.D. 'younger folk' even capable of being transfixed by activities that require the focused attention of baseball's between-the-bleacher story-lines... , to those who are out there and were literally not a part of that former reality (...back in the last century ...) they probably annul events in a different degree of awe-factor.  

The first time ever in history, a team coming back from an 0-3 hole in a Championship Series, 2004 Red Sox vs the Yankees, to stun the entire cinematic audience of that particular show ...they prooooobably thinks that's pretty damn high on that list, if not arguable the best baseball story ever told.  Because it wasn't just one game... it was sudden death in three consecutive games, each one have infinite proportioned stakes... It's like that one 1978 game, times three -   

sudden death in 4 games....3-3 is still sudden death

5 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

sudden death in 4 games....3-3 is still sudden death

Mmm ... 

3-3 may be sudden death, but having to LIVE through it 4 times -- which it is the experience of either that is compared, -- should by significance by more epic.  It's a matter of aggregation and mass there.. Out of compassion and sentimentality, I gave a nod to 1978 and decided that a fair compromise was that both were huge and left it at that.

I'll let you retort if you like once but we should probably after that let this go to the OT forum or something. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mmm ... 

3-3 may be sudden death, but having to LIVE through it 4 times -- which it is the experience of either that is compared, -- should by significance by more epic.  It's a matter of aggregation and mass there.. Out of compassion and sentimentality, I gave a nod to 1978 and decided that a fair compromise was that both were huge and left it at that.

I'll let you retort if you like once but we should probably after that let this go to the OT forum or something. 

Determining which event is of greater significance probably lies in which team you root for. I am a Yankee fan ( was 5 years old in 78) and while I play SS because of Dent the 2004 series is significantly more impactful than 1978. But as you said - both were pretty freaken big sporting events

14 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

Determining which event is of greater significance probably lies in which team you root for. I am a Yankee fan ( was 5 years old in 78) and while I play SS because of Dent the 2004 series is significantly more impactful than 1978. But as you said - both were pretty freaken big sporting events

Yup! that's certainly a good point too.  We are definitely prone to some sort of bias for whatever our team is, that is involved in whatever market. 

I suppose to Houston, last year's World Series was the greatest baseball ever played... After Harvey ravaged that area of Texas close to the brink of civility breakdown...the galvanizing affect of people coming together in support ...ultimately, celebration for that region's superiority ... winning that culturally coveted trophy, that was pretty gigantic ... And I can't say fairly that I would be opposed to value in that.. sure.  

Personally, I am a Red Sox "fan" ... I quote that because I don't blindly embrace sports teams and or their constituent meat-heads of narcissists that inevitably break your hearts the moment you dare adore them... by stepping out of the lime-light of awe and under the orange light of some horrible infamy... 

Sardonics aside, I've lived and breathed eastern Mass since midway through 1984, so that puts me pretty squarely in this market up this way...and so, tend to root and pine and opine in said favor. Having said that, I am not so rabid as a fan that I can't respect and appreciate other teams.  I really was paused when Derek retired.  I also thought it was beyond classy when Mariano took off his hat and waved to the Red Sox audience, who returned in kind a thunderous seismic applause, opening day that next year in 2005 (and the beginning of his retirement tour!) after he gave up the home run that effectively opened the door to the Red Sox pulling off 2004's remarkable come-back.

That's all the huge cinema - that's what I appreciate.  Yeah, I want 'my team' to win - who doesn't. 

This is weirdly albeit darkly hilarious ...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/03/16/ski-lift-georgia-lon-orig-bks.cnn

I mean, obviously it's scary and hopefully no one was hurt ... but I can't really think of a more precisely wrong thing to happen there.  You're a captive member of that clown show. 

This is an homage to why I don't like fair ground rides, either. These mechanical devices are perfectly fine, ... much of the time, but when they go wrong, they're blithe in causing pain.  Do you think the company that owns the ski slope paid all those people back their money -

Ski lifts ... they don't just transport you up the hell they throw you up it.   I mean, how do you even begin to describe that to friends and family ?    'Hey ... did you have a good time on your ski trip..'

umm. 

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is weirdly albeit darkly hilarious ...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/03/16/ski-lift-georgia-lon-orig-bks.cnn

I mean, obviously it's scary and hopefully no one was hurt ... but I can't really think of a more precisely wrong thing to happen there.  You're a captive member of that clown show. 

This is an homage to why I don't like fair ground rides, either. These mechanical devices are perfectly fine, ... much of the time, but when they go wrong, they're blithe in causing pain.  Do you think the company that owns the ski slope paid all those people back their money -

Ski lifts ... they don't just transport you up the hell they throw you up it.   I mean, how do you even begin to describe that to friends and family ?    'Hey ... did you have a good time on your ski trip..'

umm. 

Never heard of such a total brake failure in the US, though some scary slide-backs have happened.  Even so, the risk of getting hurt due to a ski lift failure is much lower than the risk of it while driving to the resort.

48 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Tip, can you take a look at my novel I wrote, I just want to see if it can reach the next level?

You don't have a personal circle of friends and/or extended family that can assist as 'beta readers' ? 

That's probably the best approach.  

I'm not sure I can devote the kind of time/ attention to it at a detail level for which to give you the kind of cogent feedback you'll need, frankly.  I don't do a lot of reading normally... and I have a tech job that exhausts my will do much more than weather-related diatribes these days...  Ha ha.  But work, gym, g-f, eat sleep schit phuck swear and traffic later, life is pretty consuming for me. 

Don't you have an old aunt Edna, wrapped in a blanket with her bifocals peering willingly down, while an old slobbering cat purrs for her bony fingers curling their prurient tips through it's fur  ...? You now the scene - everyone's got an 'aunt Edna'   ... retired librarian... 

Kidding. Anyway, one strategy you could try:  go on line or dip into networks (go to writers groups at community meet ups ? etc...) get into the fray and circuit the field, and use those ins to source smaller/smallish publishing houses.  Those organization may not be auto 86ing new author submissions like the bigger more popular places, like Penguin for example...which seems to have their tentacles wrapped around the entire world of literary arts. Smaller outfits might even be hungrier for new material as they too are lesser known and don't have as many manuscripts to choose from.  Most of them, if they have any semblance of professional legitimacy...will have a submission protocol.  Of which, a query later is required... Submit a query later - it describes the genre, and a very brief account of the story's over-arcing plot ( couple paragraphs tops..).  Be strategic... work the letter first .. make it perfect and pristine, and run that by Ray or someone who seems to have some ability to dissect word choice and whomever you know what I mean.  They may send back, "that sounds like an intriguing story, please send us ... x-y-z"  ...it's always a nice feeling to have someone of a third party actually ask you for more...  Then, you work on submitting the x-y-z... which typically will be a more expanded synopsis of the novel, the characters descriptions and roles in the story, with over arcing plot and resolution.  This submission is typically 6 to 10 pages, plus any form crap.  But, the point is, you work that stage singularly, too...  Get that perfect..send it in.. Then, they'll ask you for the rest of the story - the whole shebang manuscript.  Which, hopefully...while all this other stuff has been happening, you were polishing that...  you could send that in, and they may actually 'offer' to edit it with you if they like the concept and other submission work enough..  But, would probably contract to take more of the proceeds if it sells depending on how much that is required.  

Another route you could choose is something like Amazon self publishing ...Kindle perhaps ..etc.  You can do so for low money.. and, if you want more marketing and/or editorial work, start paying... But at the end, you may have a decent enough book to throw up on the e-book trades for like 1.99 a copy.....  Hey, 20,000 people buy it world over - that's 39,800 ... not that money matters.  If you just wanna be published that is..  If enough people like it, you could take those numbers before a publisher who might get convinced to to take a chance and work with you based upon that success.. 

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Never heard of such a total brake failure in the US, though some scary slide-backs have happened.  Even so, the risk of getting hurt due to a ski lift failure is much lower than the risk of it while driving to the resort.

Exactly .. that's part of dark levity of it all - ...what has to be perfectly wrong to get all that to happen.   May as well throw one's hands as being targeted by the cosmic d!ldo and accept one's plight - wow

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You don't have a personal circle of friends and/or extended family that can assist as 'beta readers' ? 

That's probably the best approach.  

I'm not sure I can devote the kind of time/ attention to it at a detail level for which to give you the kind of cogent feedback you'll need, frankly.  I don't do a lot of reading normally... and I have a tech job that exhausts my will do much more than weather-related diatribes these days...  Ha ha.  But work, gym, g-f, eat sleep schit phuck swear and traffic later, life is pretty consuming for me. 

Don't you have an old aunt Edna, wrapped in a blanket with her bifocals peering willingly down, while an old slobbering cat purrs for her bony fingers curling their prurient tips through it's fur  ...? You now the scene - everyone's got an 'aunt Edna'   ... retired librarian... 

Kidding. Anyway, one strategy you could try:  go on line or dip into networks (go to writers groups at community meet ups ? etc...) get into the fray and circuit the field, and use those ins to source smaller/smallish publishing houses.  Those organization may not be auto 86ing new author submissions like the bigger more popular places, like Penguin for example...which seems to have their tentacles wrapped around the entire world of literary arts. Smaller outfits might even be hungrier for new material as they too are lesser known and don't have as many manuscripts to choose from.  Most of them, if they have any semblance of professional legitimacy...will have a submission protocol.  Of which, a query later is required... Submit a query later - it describes the genre, and a very brief account of the story's over-arcing plot ( couple paragraphs tops..).  Be strategic... work the letter first .. make it perfect and pristine, and run that by Ray or someone who seems to have some ability to dissect word choice and whomever you know what I mean.  They may send back, "that sounds like an intriguing story, please send us ... x-y-z"  ...it's always a nice feeling to have someone of a third party actually ask you for more...  Then, you work on submitting the x-y-z... which typically will be a more expanded synopsis of the novel, the characters descriptions and roles in the story, with over arcing plot and resolution.  This submission is typically 6 to 10 pages, plus any form crap.  But, the point is, you work that stage singularly, too...  Get that perfect..send it in.. Then, they'll ask you for the rest of the story - the whole shebang manuscript.  Which, hopefully...while all this other stuff has been happening, you were polishing that...  you could send that in, and they may actually 'offer' to edit it with you if they like the concept and other submission work enough..  But, would probably contract to take more of the proceeds if it sells depending on how much that is required.  

Another route you could choose is something like Amazon self publishing ...Kindle perhaps ..etc.  You can do so for low money.. and, if you want more marketing and/or editorial work, start paying... But at the end, you may have a decent enough book to throw up on the e-book trades for like 1.99 a copy.....  Hey, 20,000 people buy it world over - that's 39,800 ... not that money matters.  If you just wanna be published that is..  If enough people like it, you could take those numbers before a publisher who might get convinced to to take a chance and work with you based upon that success.. 

Thanks Tip for your advice, I have some people in my inner circle, but I am trying to branch outward

4 straight days of snow.  I mean its like every time you look outside it is snowing.  Just took the dog for her evening walk with snow falling, as it was on Tuesday evening, Wednesday evening, Thursday evening and now Friday evening.  From a skiing perspective, averaging about a foot a day for 4 days is damn near perfect.  36" in 24 hours would be a lot of fun too, but this is like one long drawn out orgasm for lack of a better word for the powder fiends.

Storm total is *only* 20.5" at home with 24" depth (there was 8" or so on the ground before hand) but if you want "wintry appeal" this week is going to be hard to beat.  There have been much bigger storms in town, and storms that brought 30" in 24 hours, but the consistent flakes have been special.  The stoke in town is about as high as I've seen it... like only it can be in a ski town when the local mountain has had 70" in 9 days on the mid/upper slopes.

The scene this evening on the dog walk...

Qr2Ui3W.jpg

Archived