• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

So my almost 16 year old son is now at that point where he wants to make a little extra cash.  He shoveled the driveway. 

Just curious if people pay their kids and if so how much? It"s a pretty big and ****ty driveway with a nice little incline at the beginning.  I am surprised he did it.  Also he has not used the ole' homicidal Airens snowblower yet .

I know with some parents the topic of paying their kids to do work like this is a touchy one.  Some are against it, saying it is a chore and others pay them.

I decided long ago not to give them an allowance. Instead i have been putting away money every week in savings accounts for them.  That way they have some money saved and if they want to go out with their friends I just drop some cash their way.  

Part of me says that if I were going to have the driveway shoveled I would have to pay someone to do it, and this is above and beyond normal chores that rhey don't get paid for. I think not paying someone for labor is ****ty and cheap no matter who is doing it.  

Thoughts on yes? no? how much?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random thing but I thought it was interesting. Was talking with Chris Schultz and Joey Picca about depolarization streaks on radar during last night's thundersnow. Classic signatures showed up as the snowflakes started to align and orient themselves due to growing electrical field in a cloud. Anyways, the conversation continued into why we seem to see so many CG strikes at the same time across the region and I learned something new. A lot of those CG flashes we see (that can cover an area like 100 miles long... say Groton to Providence to 128) are from the same actual lightning flash that branches off and makes contact with the ground at 10 different spots. 

Anyway I thought that was cool - something I learned today. 

27 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Random thing but I thought it was interesting. Was talking with Chris Schultz and Joey Picca about depolarization streaks on radar during last night's thundersnow. Classic signatures showed up as the snowflakes started to align and orient themselves due to growing electrical field in a cloud. Anyways, the conversation continued into why we seem to see so many CG strikes at the same time across the region and I learned something new. A lot of those CG flashes we see (that can cover an area like 100 miles long... say Groton to Providence to 128) are from the same actual lightning flash that branches off and makes contact with the ground at 10 different spots. 

Lightning is big

3 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Have you seen the High building urban effect on lightning formation  study? Interesting

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Have you seen the High building urban effect on lightning formation  study? Interesting

Oh yeah that's pretty well documented. You also see clusters of thundersnow events occuring near TV towers. The ones in Montville and Farmington and Needham get zapped a lot. 

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Oh yeah that's pretty well documented. You also see clusters of thundersnow events occuring near TV towers. The ones in Montville and Farmington and Needham get zapped a lot. 

Major issues with High Voltage towers in SCT, had a major surge at work today PITA, Eversource says big problem

4 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

So my almost 16 year old son is now at that point where he wants to make a little extra cash.  He shoveled the driveway. 

Just curious if people pay their kids and if so how much? It"s a pretty big and ****ty driveway with a nice little incline at the beginning.  I am surprised he did it.  Also he has not used the ole' homicidal Airens snowblower yet .

I know with some parents the topic of paying their kids to do work like this is a touchy one.  Some are against it, saying it is a chore and others pay them.

I decided long ago not to give them an allowance. Instead i have been putting away money every week in savings accounts for them.  That way they have some money saved and if they want to go out with their friends I just drop some cash their way.  

Part of me says that if I were going to have the driveway shoveled I would have to pay someone to do it, and this is above and beyond normal chores that rhey don't get paid for. I think not paying someone for labor is ****ty and cheap no matter who is doing it.  

No. If he wants to earn cash then go shovel other driveways, after he is done doing his own. That’s what I did growing up. We do stuff for our families because that’s what families do, we don’t pay them for it. My brother came up from NJ and helped me move in Nov. I wanted to pay him because it would have cost me a good chuck to hire movers but he said empathically said no. So I bought us a big lunch afterwards and beers. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No. If he wants to earn cash then go shovel other driveways, after he is done doing his own. That’s what I did growing up. We do stuff for our families because that’s what families do, we don’t pay them for it. My brother came up from NJ and helped me move in Nov. I wanted to pay him because it would have cost me a good chuck to hire movers but he said empathically said no. So I bought us a big lunch afterwards and beers. 

No cookies or gummies?

6 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

$20? I never got paid an allowance or to shovel my driveway, the front walk, the back porch, or the path to the wood pile. I didn't have a car until I had a job and I could pay for one. I guess when you get to be a teen, you should contribute to keeping the household up and running instead of it just being a parental burden. I never paid for food or laundry detergent or cable internet or cellphone and it still never evens out. But it all depends on how you want to parent. I heard a parent say the other day that her newly driving daughter doesn't understand the value of money. That she doesn't understand just how much everything costs compared to a weekly paycheck. But...if you give your kids everything, and they never have to pay, or learn how far a dollar does or doesn't go, how can they learn? Most teens don't know how much a cell phone plan costs a month, how much a car payment is, how much a mortgage payment is, they don't even know what utilities are. Teens learn about money by understanding the large quantity that goes towards necessities and realizing how little is left over to cover all their wants. It's painful the first time you realize you can't go to dinner and a movie because you have to pay the car and cell phone first and there isn't much "disposable income" left to use on the fun stuff. That pain of the hard reality is the best way for teens to learn. And they are old enough to begin to handle that stuff. Even if you want to protect them.

7 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

It really is a case by case decision. 

I started working when I was 14. I umpired little league games, and when I was 15 I started washing dishes at a pizza shop.

If he really wants some cash, a part time job like that would probably be a really good option. 16 is a pretty common age for teens to start their first real job.

Ive always shoveled without expectation of a payment. My father has heart issues, and it’s a lot easier for me to do it quick, so thy don’t have to hire someone.

Im 24, I had moved out, but had to move back in due to unfortunate circumstances. I live here virtually for free, so I help out however I can.

The only time I’ve ever been paid is when myself and a buddy with landscaping experience did a fairly big mulching and planting job in my yard that spanned several days. I think that is a  it different then what most here have mentioned though

55 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

$20? I never got paid an allowance or to shovel my driveway, the front walk, the back porch, or the path to the wood pile. I didn't have a car until I had a job and I could pay for one. I guess when you get to be a teen, you should contribute to keeping the household up and running instead of it just being a parental burden. I never paid for food or laundry detergent or cable internet or cellphone and it still never evens out. But it all depends on how you want to parent. I heard a parent say the other day that her newly driving daughter doesn't understand the value of money. That she doesn't understand just how much everything costs compared to a weekly paycheck. But...if you give your kids everything, and they never have to pay, or learn how far a dollar does or doesn't go, how can they learn? Most teens don't know how much a cell phone plan costs a month, how much a car payment is, how much a mortgage payment is, they don't even know what utilities are. Teens learn about money by understanding the large quantity that goes towards necessities and realizing how little is left over to cover all their wants. It's painful the first time you realize you can't go to dinner and a movie because you have to pay the car and cell phone first and there isn't much "disposable income" left to use on the fun stuff. That pain of the hard reality is the best way for teens to learn. And they are old enough to begin to handle that stuff. Even if you want to protect them.

I had to pay for all of my road lessons and drivers ed. I paid for half of my first car, and my parents kicked in the rest.

Ive been paying my phone bill, car insurance, and all that good stuff since I was 16. If I could to afford it, my mom would take my phone until I could pay my portion.

Obviously I wasn’t thrilled at the time, but I respect and appreciate that now. It’s taught me how to budget and value a dollar. 

A lot of kids are basically clueless these days how to handle money. It can take a lot of hard lessons to figure it out too when they reach adulthood. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s pretty much it. I’ll basically do anything for a good meal lol.

My buddy needed help moving ( I was going to help regardless), but he said he was getting a bunch of pizza for dinner. Sold.

I had to clear the snow every storm from age 12 or so until I moved out.  Same with the lawn.  There wasn't any individual payment for that stuff, but my parents hooked me up pretty well on allowance.  Wish I remembered exactly how much, no idea.

I think it was easier for a kid to get a job back then too.  I worked summers starting at 14.

I shoveled the driveway, cut the lawn and whatever my father wanted to do, never got an allowance. If I wanted money I worked for it, had two paper routes when I was a lad, when I was 16 I got a job, bought a car and whatever else I needed. That said, if I had a kid I might give him a few bucks to shovel or cut the lawn.

17 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I had to clear the snow every storm from age 12 or so until I moved out.  Same with the lawn.  There wasn't any individual payment for that stuff, but my parents hooked me up pretty well on allowance.  Wish I remembered exactly how much, no idea.

I think it was easier for a kid to get a job back then too.  I worked summers starting at 14.

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I shoveled the driveway, cut the lawn and whatever my father wanted to do, never got an allowance. If I wanted money I worked for it, had two paper routes when I was a lad, when I was 16 I got a job, bought a car and whatever else I needed. That said, if I had a kid I might give him a few bucks to shovel or cut the lawn.

Kids have too much other **** going on these days.....we tried real hard to keep schedule open enough for these household chores but failed......its just different these days....the kids still get an allowance but it comes in different forms now......

21 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Kids have too much other **** going on these days.....we tried real hard to keep schedule open enough for these household chores but failed......its just different these days....the kids still get an allowance but it comes in different forms now......

That's why I hate to compare the 60s to today, things were so much different then they are today, that's why I said I'd probably give my kid a few bucks to do the shoveling and other chores.

4 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Yeah.  I would love to say to him, "go get a job", but it doesn't work that way.  He would be walking or riding his bike to some job miles away (Not to mention that I live on a dangerous main state road, connected by other main state roads).  In the end I would have to drive him to that job, and it would not be able to happen until I got home after work, and then I would have to pick him up because it would be dark, etc.,etc.  Instead of me relaxing after work, I would instead be shuffling him around to his minimum wage job.  Now it becomes my issue.

The answer of "go get a job" sounds good in theory, but in practice it is not that easy. The days of the paper route are long gone, not that it would happen on my road and being in the middle of nowhere.

14 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Mine is 21 and i did not pay him to do chores, if i needed help with stuff i didn't want his help to be financially motivated. I wanted to instill in him a work ethic - if stuff needs to get done around the house go and get it done kind of deal. thats how my dad did it. Hopefully when he is an adult that will transfer.

That said its very important for kids to learn to live on a budget so putting $'s aside for them (or having them save money when they are old enough to work) and giving them the freedom to choose when and how they use it (with some guidance) has worked well with my son now that he has to make financial decisions daily. I see my son's venmo / banking activity and its encouraging how well he handles his finances.

Growing up in the 50s-60s, we never expected payment even for relatively uncommon chores like shoveling snow or spreading topsoil (or mowing the 3/4-acre lawn at our grandparent's country place - averaged 2-3 yellowjacket nests per cut.)  The 1960-61 winter, with its 18", 20" and 24" snowstorms, plus the 12" surprise in late March, provided lots of exercise, with the March shoveling after we walked the 5 miles from HS because the buses never showed.  In 1984 I did offer my then 12-year-old son $50 to move 6 cords of firewood 50 yards from where I'd cut/split to our basement near the woodstove.  Works out to 5-6 lb for a penny.  And he got to use the garden cart.  ;) 

Archived