Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't figure out how it's raining/ZR.  It's 23F at 4000ft, 21F at 3600ft, 27F at 2,600ft and 31F at 1500ft.  

Thats gotta be at least a 3000ft thick layer of subfreezing air.  Surprised it's not sleet.  I mean low-20s at 4000ft is cold, you'd think that tall of a column would refreeze the droplets.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can't figure out how it's raining/ZR.  It's 23F at 4000ft, 21F at 3600ft, 27F at 2,600ft and 31F at 1500ft.  

Thats gotta be at least a 3000ft thick layer of subfreezing air.  Surprised it's not sleet.  I mean low-20s at 4000ft is cold, you'd think that tall of a column would refreeze the droplets.

Not cold enough for nucleation in the cloud layer? I haven’t looked at soundings.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's just not our winter :cry:

Sleet and cold rain at home that seems to still be freezing on contact due to the cold surface... this morning was down in the mid-teens and cold.  Temps at 33-34F on the old school mercury thermo on the deck.  The sleet has actually made our walkway and driveway passable....gives some grip. 

Warming quickly in the higher elevations.  What was low-20s at 4kft is now upper-20s.  Low level, well mixed zones are mid-30s.  Cold hollows and mid-slope pockets ending as -FZDZ

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Downslope dandy today. Enjoy the 50s pope.  Should be a great day.

Yea, I was wrong about this. Nice call on this one man—you saw this days ago. Tip as well. Def going to be in the upper 50’s to near 60 with the clouds already out. 

Seperately, I’m not nearly as unsure of downsloping as I am of how a Pacific with a massive UL trough in mid winter completely messes with climo into NNE. Surface looks benign but the atmosphere in general is torched. Pretty incredible. I should have noted the -PNA is essentially peaking today.....

Archived