Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think chasing was the wrong way of describing it.

Clearing out the yard is more like it.

since I fenced in the yard the deer like to hang out just on the other side. I would flake off pieces of ivory soap around your perimeter and if you can take a piss out there every morning. 

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If a bear can make it to oceanfront South Portland**, turkeys in your neighborhood should be no surprise.

**That poor bear was featured on an early season of North Woods Law.  The warden ended up euthanizing it as it was invading folks' dooryards, and the I-295 rush hour was in progress.  Lots of vigorous and often vituperative criticism for that, but had the bear tried to re-cross the Interstate before a biologist could arrive and sedate it (Maine wardens are not so authorized), a major accident would've been almost inevitable.

I remember that one. Plus there was clearly something wrong with that bear. A more likely scenario should have been that it ran, but that one didn't seem bothered by all the commotion around.

It must be around 20 years since I've seen a bear, near Winni. Actually a cub up a tree.

56 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

since I fenced in the yard the deer like to hang out just on the other side. I would flake off pieces of ivory soap around your perimeter and if you can take a piss out there every morning. 

Yeah I've heard human hair works too... maybe I'll have the barber bag mine up next time haha.

It just boggles my mind that like 5 out of 7 mornings they are right in the backyard knowing there's a dog here that's going to come out and bark and jump at them till they leave the yard.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

No pet unfortunately. 

Since they are illegal in this state, I can only speculate, rather than recommend, that maintaining a selection of various size Class C rockets is quite affective at keeping away unwanted wildlife. 

PF can swing by Northstar Fireworks in E Montpelier and set you up.  

I get a flock of turkeys in my yard all the time, in the summer it looks like they're eating bugs and I assume ticks are on the menu so I leave them be, my dog on the other hand chases them but can't even come close. My brother had a coyote cut through his yard the other day, we live near the woods so its not surprising but this one went through a few yards. Probably visited his neighbors chickens.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Since they are illegal in this state, I can only speculate, rather than recommend, that maintaining a selection of various size Class C rockets is quite affective at keeping away unwanted wildlife. 

PF can swing by Northstar Fireworks in E Montpelier and set you up.  

Dendrite can get the real good sh*t in New Hampshire though ;).

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol at VSF (Springfield, VT) in the CT River Valley is 37F with a 55F PWS not far away but like 600ft higher.

All the low lying ASOS are now dipping back into the 30s while it continues to blowtorch above like 1,200ft.

Check out these 2 Franconia Notch sites. Torchville on one side...socked in on the other.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=NHFNS&time=GMT

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=NHFN1&time=GMT

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting. Kind of just seems like nature at work. I understand though, if the species needs to be protected. 

Dogs chase deer for fun. Often running them until their heart literally bursts. It’s one thing for coyotes to chase deer and them eat them but it is an epically cruel way for deer to die being chased by dogs. 

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Dendrite can get the real good sh*t in New Hampshire though ;).

I think the two stores in VT carry the biggest shells allowed in the US. Northstar is the only place in the NE with rockets, in fact I think only like six states allow them now.  Again, all speculation because they are not legal here...

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Dogs chase deer for fun. Often running them until their heart literally bursts. It’s one thing for coyotes to chase deer and them eat them but it is an epically cruel way for deer to die being chased by dogs. 

Yeah. If people are letting their dogs run for miles chasing deer... that’s an issue... I thought PF was just talking his property. I also didn’t know the deer population was low

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Even the mailman in Falmouth on cape cod isn't safe from the turkeys those nasty SOB's........:lol:

They are fed up with their relatives being slaughtered and blame the government for posterizing them as a peaceful exchange with the indians...as if it’s their fault for stealing land from the natives.  

Archived