Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Well I can guarantee there is nothing suspicious about it, but whether it is lack of resources (human or otherwise) I don't know. Our webpage is not great, and there are other sources that do a far better job than we do providing the new satellite. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_CONUS.php that is ours, but I like http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/ too

Ooh, thanks!  Those help  :)

I was just being snarky with the suspicious stuff ... I had this like run-up to Red Dawn mashed up with a Clancy novel conspiracy plot idea ...where anything that plausibly could be used as surveillance gets preemptively and clandestinely repurposed, such that when the Russians/Trump's "Pentaverate" pull the trigger ... they've already sacked a key sector of technological advantage...  

I like that -

But no ... I was just being pissy because I used to use TPC's Satellite URL for multi-purpose outside of tropics.  Their URLs/nested links had great products for winter storms and other attributes and so forth... and they've gone and taken 'em all done - rudely... seemingly with limited warning that was going to happen. And, they aren't offering a clear redirect on where to find a lot of those products.  Oh well -  thx for the abv.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Watching North Woods Law New Hampshire. I liked the Maine version more. Though it’s cool seeing some places I am somewhat familiar with. 

Like them both, though with the obvious bias toward Maine, especially with near-to-home scenes (like the arrow-thru-windshield in their 1st season), plus co-workers got filmed twice (robo-partridge and ATV problems), though neither made the final cuts.

3 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

10f brrrrr

Singles here - new snow and clear skies, though the airmass isn't that cold.

Awesome day yesterday at Bald Mtn Camps for Cystic Fibrosis record ride, Over 400 sleds, We the took a ride up to Quill Hill in Dallas Plantation @2,800'

Excellent!  Ever been up Bald itself?   400' lower than Quill but right between Rangeley an Mooselook Lakes.  Some great memories involving that place.

31 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Massive inversion this morning. Already above freezing after low in the mid 10’s. Atmosphere is WARM. We 50’s...

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is really interesting. The snow vs no snow line is rather visible and follows where the area changed to rain quite well. Glad we were snow.

Snow.jpg

Can't tell in this particular image - someone annotated it with a big red line...so you can see the purpose of pointing that out.  Interesting...

45 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Massive inversion this morning. Already above freezing after low in the mid 10’s. Atmosphere is WARM. We 50’s...

The NAM ... if it can possibly matter ... is really hammering this to persist throughout the warm up/ridging days this week - if perhaps for different reasons...

But it's got like 9 C of surface declination up under the 900 mb level at Logan... which, that is severely, severely invertedly sloped in the sounding. I mean, that's like cold trapping in interior Rocky Mountain valley type stuff there... 

At first I thought perhaps it was an issue with trajectory over the chilly bite waters but ... the wind is 240 deg, which has enough west component to fend that off even over eastern Mass (sorry Plymouth, you're SOL).  I think the model might actually be over doing it with cold soil/earthen temperature feedback into a strata fog generation. It's got RH1 values of 98 % on every interval, which may as well be underwater.  

Whatever the cause, the climo on these sort of early spring ridges and WSW flow is parch dry at this time of year ...so that's sort of polarized to the NAM.  The GFS on the other hand ...it runs it's MOS up to 72 and that would fit both climo and not having to generate misery mist off a continental mass trajectory like the NAM

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Saws worms on the sidewalk this AM while walking the dog.  Spring must be here.

The first worm-strangler RA event is usually a surefire sign that spring has arrived.  Never seen one before late March here, so even for EMA I don't think a Feb occurrence works for this year.

Stuck at 40F at 1100 feet.  Warm air is so close.  Wonder what time it will bust through?  Going to see if I can attach my cheapo recording digital thermometer to my drone and see where the warm layer is...  

Edit.   Just put the thermometer on the drone.  41F now at take off  52F.  Above the problem is I don't know how far above take off point the warm air layer is.

33 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Stuck at 40F at 1100 feet.  Warm air is so close.  Wonder what time it will bust through?  Going to see if I can attach my cheapo recording digital thermometer to my drone and see where the warm layer is...  

42F with OVC FG at home, but we've busted into the sun and warmth at CON. Must be mid 50s now.

Warm front seems to be right around me.  Briefly broke out into sunshine but clouds back in.  Temps slowly rising from the low 40's to 47F now.   Flew the drone and attached a thermometer probe early this AM.  Nice and toasty just overhead.   

Turkeys are loving the new grass patches. Timelapse over the last couple of hours

https://video.nest.com/clip/f31897cf336341bd8060f942a9d6d693.mp4

Archived