Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Icy ride in this AM at 6, ice pellets and freezing rain, saw 1 car in the guardrail on 396

Route 6 was awful  6 accidents on my way to work, half included 18 wheelers. I passed a woman who hit a talll highway light pole that came down in 2 pieces and shattered on the highway, barely missing her car...A bunch of cars in ditches, and the multiple truck issues. 45-50 minute ride took me just under 2 hours.  I was going 0.0 mph for about 30 minutes in Andover at one point.  Was really bad. 

5 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Route 6 was awful  6 accidents on my way to work, half included 18 wheelers. I passed a woman who hit a talll highway light pole that came down in 2 pieces and shattered on the highway, barely missing her car...A bunch of cars in ditches, and the multiple truck issues. 45-50 minute ride took me just under 2 hours.  I was going 0.0 mph for about 30 minutes in Andover at one point.  Was really bad. 

Jeez. That sucks. Seems like a pretty small area turned into a mess this morning.

I hit the am ice potential last night during our late news and I know the DOT pretreated a lot of bridges. Seems like Rt 6 was a disaster though .

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Jeez. That sucks. Seems like a pretty small area turned into a mess this morning.

I hit the am ice potential last night during our late news and I know the DOT pretreated a lot of bridges. Seems like Rt 6 was a disaster though .

Yeah. The timing was perfect for it to be a disaster. Just after 6 the freezing rain started.  By the time I was on the road at 6:15 the surface was slick.  By the time I went through Wilimantic it was over (meaning, over for being able to drive a normal speed.  That is where the crawling began).

Your station was there at the bigger accident.

20180214_065940_1518634950520_resized.jpg

20180214_073639_1518634949534_resized.jpg

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

does anyone know where I can get a jet stream map from 2/8/13? Been trying to find something. Came across an archive site but it only dates back to 2014. Or something which shows 500mb winds 

you need a DJVU reader ( download for free) http://library.noaa.gov/Collections/Digital-Collections/US-Daily-Weather-Maps

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thank you! hmm I wonder if the url to that page changed? I had that in my bookmarks but it said it was no longer found. I'll update it. 

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pickles and Scooter hated that PNA but wow what a storm

Incredible. For my COM class tonight I'm putting together a weather package and I'm doing this storm. This class is pretty cool b/c I also get to practice writing and preparing weather stories in addition to just broadcasting. 

Something is up with NOAA/CPC. I sent NOAA an email stating that I was finding many +500mb anomalies that shouldn't be, having studied so many maps. "Warm injections". Shortly after there was a big pattern change, Stratosphere warming, record MJO, -SOI etc. Earlier today I made a comment about CPC being ridiculous in their 6-10 with >90% temps over the whole east coast, pretty far inland, something like "they are mentally in decline", it was to be a -NAO period with Stratosphere warming and -PNA hasn't established all winter. referring to Dec-Jan when they had above average precip every day for a month despite that it was obvious it was not going to precip. Weird seasonal forecasts too. A few minutes later there was a big shift and I found out later it was the Euro having 588 heights in DC. 

This is interesting ... for me anyway - 

I have opined at length, in the past,  ... how eastern N/A has been 'blessed' as a persistent negative region relative to the persistent curve of GW when looking at monthly NASA press releases regarding the subject matter, spanning back years worth of monitoring.  

Over at Phys.org, they have reposted a news letter para from, care of: 

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-polar-vortex-defies-climate-southeast.html   .. which sort of vindicates my position on that.  I find it interesting that others are taking notice, and though their focus is the SE and Midwest (seasonal dependency) I'd argue vehemently that this has encompassed our region at least to some extent, as well...   The excerpt ventures causality with agriculture which is fascinating for the summer part of this.. 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:09 PM, tamarack said:

The 3/19-20 storm dumped 24" at our NNJ home, and is the first 10"+ snowfall of my memory - was 21 months old for the Dec. 1947 storm, and the period 1950-55 was barren of big snowfalls.  (The nearest stations to my home failed to have a storm greater than 8" during the winters 49-50 thru 54-55, and were BN for snow in each of those.)  For whatever reason, I recall nothing at all from the 3/17/56 event, though nearly sites got 6-7".

3/19-20 was epic-also in NNJ.   Poorly forecasted with a huge positive bust.  Enormous drifts from that storm.

on 3/17/56-I have memory of a few hours of very heavy snow.   Kind of set the table for 2 days later.

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that the Government/NOAA seems to be surreptitiously making it harder and harder to find satellite feeds/URLs ... Particularly when the technology has already proven made it easier and they should disseminate without spending time finding it - aholes!

It's almost suspicious ...

8 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that the Government/NOAA seems to be surreptitiously making it harder and harder to find satellite feeds/URLs ... Particularly when the technology has already proven made it easier and they should disseminate without spending time finding it - aholes!

It's almost suspicious ...

Well I can guarantee there is nothing suspicious about it, but whether it is lack of resources (human or otherwise) I don't know. Our webpage is not great, and there are other sources that do a far better job than we do providing the new satellite. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_CONUS.php that is ours, but I like http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/ too

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Watching North Woods Law New Hampshire. I liked the Maine version more. Though it’s cool seeing some places I am somewhat familiar with. 

I like them both because they spend so much time in our CWA (NH obviously is entirely ours, and much of their filming in ME was western ME). Get to see places that we don't visit often, and sometimes there is even a weather related theme.

Awesome day yesterday at Bald Mtn Camps for Cystic Fibrosis record ride, Over 400 sleds, We the took a ride up to Quill Hill in Dallas Plantation @2,800' It over looks the Bigelow A and B Range and back towards Stratton where you can see the Bio Mass plant and Flagstaff Lake.

Flagstaff in the background.

21771ca0-a14d-4cef-bc6a-5f499b06062f_zps

Kennebago Mtn and Lake.

3310384d-2518-45db-85c8-2ccc4600a4b4_zps

Bigelow A Range in the right side of the pic in the far back.

1e811ead-32af-4c7e-bd60-27fbf30f53bd_zps

Rangeley Lake.

e70b6ca8-117d-47c5-afa2-fae18878be01_zps

Bald Mtn Camps on Mooselook Meguntic Lake.

a2ee45cf-9af1-451b-92f6-b2c81166e2ec_zps

f22ab581-3480-483a-a811-7d331fe2e831_zps

69272139-87a1-4b46-9a86-c78f48b069b0_zps

Archived