Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Worst since 2012 for this time of winter...but even in decent La Ninas it sometimes happens....2009 was kind of similar though maybe slightly better for Feb 12th pack. We've had some big early/mid Februarys though in recent years. Even 2016 had some events in the first half of the month....and last year's torch was preceded by multiple large events. NNE was def worse in 2016 though than SNE relative to climo.

But yeah, this is not far from our peak snowpack climo....ugly indeed.

Peak pack is a bit later here, not surprisingly.  My smoothed average stays between 20" and 21" from Feb. 16 thru March 5, so the current 22" is slightly AN.  Had 12" this date in 2016, 10" in 2012, and only 11" in 2013 as we dodged most of the blizz the week before.

The 3/19-20 storm dumped 24" at our NNJ home, and is the first 10"+ snowfall of my memory - was 21 months old for the Dec. 1947 storm, and the period 1950-55 was barren of big snowfalls.  (The nearest stations to my home failed to have a storm greater than 8" during the winters 49-50 thru 54-55, and were BN for snow in each of those.)  For whatever reason, I recall nothing at all from the 3/17/56 event, though nearly sites got 6-7".

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 3/19-20 storm dumped 24" at our NNJ home, and is the first 10"+ snowfall of my memory - was 21 months old for the Dec. 1947 storm, and the period 1950-55 was barren of big snowfalls.  (The nearest stations to my home failed to have a storm greater than 8" during the winters 49-50 thru 54-55, and were BN for snow in each of those.)  For whatever reason, I recall nothing at all from the 3/17/56 event, though nearly sites got 6-7".

19/20 was a compact nuke it seems

On 2/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would rather completely bare ground instead of what is currently out there. Ice fishing still going here, but I’m guessing some ponds are not able to be fished on. 

Went through Petersham, Athol then Royalston today, was surprised at the decent snow pack. It' glacial but Brown ground down here in southern Worcester county. Saw some ice fisherman on a couple of the ponds. The ponds around here have open water 8-10 feet from shore. At least it looks like winter up there.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Pinnacle?

Good guess... top of Pinnacle Heights Road at the Meadow.  Not the actual hike to the Pinnacle summit.

The road ends at like 1,800ft or something like that.  The Stowe Hollow area (pretty much anything east of RT 100) is a surprisingly cool area with a like a plateau of high elevation banking up against the Worecester Range that has a 3,000-3,600ft ridgeline along the eastern side of town.  There are a lot of people that live at some pretty solid elevations in the 1,200-1,700ft range there.  Wish we had some weather stations there as they look like radiators too, protected by the high ridgelines around it.  With that said, the RT 100 corridor is the true fake cold radiator (see MVL) being the axis of lowest elevations between the high elevations to the east and west.

Untitled.jpg.329fe65bddc8bb79588dfb33e8579ee1.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In 1899 an entire East coast nation of weenies rejoiced as 1

IMG_20180213_193752.jpg

Thankfully we weren't around for that one.  Add that one to the list of storms that went its -20F in Vermont it's party time along I-95 ;)

I wonder what happened in Maine though with the amounts under 10" there similar to VT.  Has that look of a storm that's dropped its pay load to the south and is left with some shredded mid-level banding driven snowfall that must've lit up N.NH and W.ME with those 12-20" amounts, with less to the east near Bangor.

Also lol at the -50F temps in the upper Midwest.  Jeeeeez.  I think those temps are just as impressive as the snow.  Below zero almost to the Gulf Coast.  Yikes.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Thankfully we weren't around for that one.  Add that one to the list of storms that went its -20F in Vermont it's party time along I-95 ;)

I wonder what happened in Maine though with the amounts under 10" there similar to VT.  Has that look of a storm that's dropped its pay load to the south and is left with some shredded mid-level banding driven snowfall that must've lit up N.NH and W.ME with those 12-20" amounts, with less to the east near Bangor.

Also lol at the -50F temps in the upper Midwest.  Jeeeeez.

Only Sherpa on Mansfield at the time, measured at the base, upslope was 120 inches 

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well,  my neighbor just came over to ask if I will snow blow his driveway while he is away from Thursday to Thursday.   Good neighbors, so of course I said yes. It's not a huge driveway but this pretty much now guarantees it will snow.  

That happened to us in the nemo blizzard and our town was the lucky one who got 3 feet in like 12 hours lol

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Good guess... top of Pinnacle Heights Road at the Meadow.  Not the actual hike to the Pinnacle summit.

The road ends at like 1,800ft or something like that.  The Stowe Hollow area (pretty much anything east of RT 100) is a surprisingly cool area with a like a plateau of high elevation banking up against the Worecester Range that has a 3,000-3,600ft ridgeline along the eastern side of town.  There are a lot of people that live at some pretty solid elevations in the 1,200-1,700ft range there.  Wish we had some weather stations there as they look like radiators too, protected by the high ridgelines around it.  With that said, the RT 100 corridor is the true fake cold radiator (see MVL) being the axis of lowest elevations between the high elevations to the east and west.

That entire network of roads that run along the base of the Worcester Range from Waterbury Center to Stowe is beautiful.  Kneeland Flats, Shaw Mansion Rd.,  that area is in high demand because of the ease of access to BTV and MPV as well as proximity to Stowe and the resorts in the Valley

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

19/20 was a compact nuke it seems

Had about 2" new at bedtime (9 PM) and my dad measured 23.5" in our front yard at 8 AM, with moderate snow still falling, so with squashing of that first 2, about 22" in 11 hours.  A family with a boy my age had moved in across the street a few days earlier.  Their front porch was concrete, no railings, steps to the right toward the driveway.  When the kid cleared the porch, it resulted in snow at the same level as the porch top.  He forgot where the stairs were, walked off the front, and disappeared.  We still laugh about it.

Farmington co-op recorded 10".  It was cold there, but only 2-4° below NYC instead of the 15° climo difference in mid-Feb. 
NYC temps Feb. 9-13, 1899:
2/9   11   -2
2/10  7    -6
2/11  9    -2
2/12  9     4
2/13  11   6
with 16" snow on 12-13.   The 7-day period 2/8-14 averaged 14.6/3.0, probably Central Park's 2nd coldest week, though well short of the 9.4/-4.4 set 12/29/17 to 1/4/18.

Archived