Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How much did you get? I saw Aborn said he got 5.4”.

Hard to believe we’ll be pouring cold rain in 48 hours 

I had 5".

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol never fails, you can never enjoy the moment.

I'm enjoying the cold...just not the one that I have personally!

8° now...that's the forecasted low.

I am totally a weenie when it comes to microclimates , yesterday was text book with my western facing hill and valley ranging from 175 ft to 725 ft So I had to take a weenie drive around the hood to check out variable snows from yesterday. I had 2 at my house at 515 ft. So off I went, iced coffee in hand,down the hill in town had about 1 inch at 175 ft. As I climbed past my house near 675 ft there was a dramatic increase in the plow piles. Got out and measured 3 new over the old snow, figure after drying out they had 4 easy. Got back in the truck and started to climb ,very quickly the piles decreased. The visual look was the same as my house. Interesting to me. I drove farther along  the ridge between 700 and 725 and saw some variability but not much. As I again descended I drove into that max depth again. Had to replicate it so I took a different path and sure enough there is a almost half mile strip on the side of the hill with a mini max surrounded on either side lower and higher with an inch or so less. Pretty cool to me as a weenie. Now why? Seems with this mini upslope from the huge valley to our west there was enough lift to create a band that maxed at that elevation. Interestingly enough the East side of this ridge snow fall dropped off quickly. It is maybe why Garth at 525 in Brooklyn close to me, barely had a trace while I benefitted from a mini upslope event. (Garth and I are usually within a half inch of snow of each other during events) Weenie tale of day out

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am totally a weenie when it comes to microclimates , yesterday was text book with my western facing hill and valley ranging from 175 ft to 725 ft So I had to take a weenie drive around the hood to check out variable snows from yesterday. I had 2 at my house at 515 ft. So off I went, iced coffee in hand,down the hill in town had about 1 inch at 175 ft. As I climbed past my house near 675 ft there was a dramatic increase in the plow piles. Got out and measured 3 new over the old snow, figure after drying out they had 4 easy. Got back in the truck and started to climb ,very quickly the piles decreased. The visual look was the same as my house. Interesting to me. I drove farther along  the ridge between 700 and 725 and saw some variability but not much. As I again descended I drove into that max depth again. Had to replicate it so I took a different path and sure enough there is a almost half mile strip on the side of the hill with a mini max surrounded on either side lower and higher with an inch or so less. Pretty cool to me as a weenie. Now why? Seems with this mini upslope from the huge valley to our west there was enough lift to create a band that maxed at that elevation. Interestingly enough the East side of this ridge snow fall dropped off quickly. It is maybe why Garth at 525 in Brooklyn close to me, barely had a trace while I benefitted from a mini upslope event. (Garth and I are usually within a half inch of snow of each other during events) Weenie tale of day out

Great report. I love micro stuff too. That’s why I love the thermo in my car. It always fascinated me to watch it move around as I drive. 

16 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Your hill sounds very similar to ours which ranges from about 220ft on the east side  in the nearby valley to 750 feet at the top, basically the start of the Worcester hills. If you continue WNW about 8-9 miles It then climbs up to the top of weenie ridge ~1400+feet, which is also the start of the auto road to the top of Wachusett at 2000ft.

Locally there are differences from valley to hill top, but given the sharp cut off being west was more important than elevation here. Spots a few hundred feet lower just miles to the west got more than we did in this last event. 

Yea definitely can see that on Sat too.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:51 PM, dendrite said:

New Northern Pass route right through the picnic tables and jspin’s snowboard?

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/NH-regulators-vote-to-kill-Northern-Pass-project-472213663.html

Good luck...takes an act of god to get a permit to even cut a tree down above 2,500ft in this state, much less clear cut something, haha...and good luck getting through VT without going over that elevation.

Archived