Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Winter Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Kind of late, but here is my once in a lifetime sighting of the scarlet tanager from last spring.

ooooh Lovely bird.  Come down to Georgia, we have those and summer tanagers and you can compare the songs.

Today was my first day of really getting out of the hotel room and birding while I had the chance.  Snowy owls are having one of their invasion years, and birders have been reporting 2-3 at a time at the Portland Jetport.  One report this afternoon was four snowy owls during one visit.  That was about four hours after I'd seen two there.  Gorgeous birds, but they really shouldn't be hanging around the airport.  I wonder when they'll start having to trap and relocate those birds.  

Had peregrine, merlin, sharpshinned, cooper's, and redtails today.  And a dovekie at Cape Elizabeth.  One nice side effect of the torch wx is being able to stand out in surf spray on a rocky point checking out shorebirds for a few minutes longer before the hands and eyeballs start to hurt and glass mists over ...

8 hours ago, SharonA said:

ooooh Lovely bird.  Come down to Georgia, we have those and summer tanagers and you can compare the songs.

Today was my first day of really getting out of the hotel room and birding while I had the chance.  Snowy owls are having one of their invasion years, and birders have been reporting 2-3 at a time at the Portland Jetport.  One report this afternoon was four snowy owls during one visit.  That was about four hours after I'd seen two there.  Gorgeous birds, but they really shouldn't be hanging around the airport.  I wonder when they'll start having to trap and relocate those birds.  

Had peregrine, merlin, sharpshinned, cooper's, and redtails today.  And a dovekie at Cape Elizabeth.  One nice side effect of the torch wx is being able to stand out in surf spray on a rocky point checking out shorebirds for a few minutes longer before the hands and eyeballs start to hurt and glass mists over ..

Nice! I've heard owls a few times around here, but have never actually seen one in the wild.

Today's nowcasting type atmosphere reminded me of almost exactly 7 years ago....we had probably the most epic nowcast storm since we moved to AMEX:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/11142-january-26-27-snowstorm-discoobs-gametime/

No, tonight's system will come nowhere near to that one...that was an actual borderline blizzard. But I was just reminded of it when I caught myself looking at every RAP run today so far.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Today's nowcasting type atmosphere reminded me of almost exactly 7 years ago....we had probably the most epic nowcast storm since we moved to AMEX:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/11142-january-26-27-snowstorm-discoobs-gametime/

No, tonight's system will come nowhere near to that one...that was an actual borderline blizzard. But I was just reminded of it when I caught myself looking at every RAP run today so far.

Part 3 is where that thread went nutzo. Man that was such a beautiful night. That thread was classic with the panic room, Ray and  Pickles of course. But me I named it LA EPIC 11 with a 6-8 per band 

post-2015-0-00839300-1296106570.gif

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a great way to cap off the second greatest month of snow in my life. Ripped 4"+ per hr with thunder for a bit in that little critter. I remember Ryan was pulling his hair out over the NW edge for a while on that one.

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

And Kevin slept through it

He claims he didn't...he logged on at like 3am and said he had been up since midnight but didn't want to wake his family up using the laptop....was the worst excuse I ever heard. It was like 4" per hour stuff he missed.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He claims he didn't...he logged on at like 3am and said he had been up since midnight but didn't want to wake his family up using the laptop....was the worst excuse I ever heard. It was like 4" per hour stuff he missed.

I was up from 2:00 am on that one. As I’ve stated 10x. My neighbor went into labor and the town trucks had to plow their driveway as the paramedics got stuck 

Archived