SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 29-30th Rain/Flurries coastal and IVT

WxUSAF

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little late with this, but here's the 12z RGEM ensemble mean.  Not very exciting, but I'll put it out in case anyone has been following how the ensemble has evolved over the last couple of days.

KKtjjh0.png

ETA:  OK, this is more fun.  Here's the maximum qpf over all ensemble members.

oO6ZOLq.png

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea..temps starting to move down quickly here too. And I already see frozen radar returns in Cecil Co. Md at low elevation . And most areas have several more hours to get temps down before the ull comes thru . 3k has my area below freezing when returns are overhead...just need moisture and moderate rates and it will stick here no doubt.

Could you imagine if the coastal was snow? It would have been snowing for like 24 hours to our east. Lol. 

I'm at 36. Hitting freezing before 3am might be a challenge. Weird seeing the 32 degree readings down by RIC but most of our area is 35-40 degrees. 

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Traffic cams show snow out in Garrett County.  P&C at our house is 3-5" - the mountains will do well in this upcoming pattern.

Yep, time to keep an eye on the Canaan mountain weather station.  It's about to be good out there. 

Ill second the poster that said something about the brine.  It's downright ridiculous to lay down a complete dump of that stuff on every lane of the highways and every single back road.  Let's just go ahead and blow the snow budget so when we really need it we will be hurting.  When you see clouds of the stuff and almost low visibility in headlights at night and the forecast is for maybe a coating, someone is making the wrong call

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I’m at 40.  The downtown DC spots are mid-40s, so temps not great here.  This looks like the weakling cousin of the Feb 2015(?) squall.

Yes, Feb 2015. Rates were crazy, and I didn't measure at the time, but It looked like 2-3" an hour rates for about 15-25 minutes off and on. Dunno what the airports reported total-wise 

1 hour ago, Wxdood said:

Yep, time to keep an eye on the Canaan mountain weather station.  It's about to be good out there. 

Ill second the poster that said something about the brine.  It's downright ridiculous to lay down a complete dump of that stuff on every lane of the highways and every single back road.  Let's just go ahead and blow the snow budget so when we really need it we will be hurting.  When you see clouds of the stuff and almost low visibility in headlights at night and the forecast is for maybe a coating, someone is making the wrong call

It is all about politics and cover your azz. They got every road brined to death in Prince William County, over flurries and above freezing temps and road temps well above freezing.

Well, I decided to go for a quick fix in Charles Town. Its cold alright, but CLEAR except for a few high thin dry cirrus, lol

SW Virginia looks to get crushed though.

Even though I am still confident of a lot of snow in the subforum this winter, I must admit I am getting pretty snowstarved to be going on West Virginia snow chases lmao

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

It is all about politics and cover your azz. They got every road brined to death in Prince William County, over flurries and above freezing temps and road temps well above freezing.

Yeah I get that.  School busses and stuff.  But seriously... it's been warm the past what 4 days?  

I drove to VA this evening and saw brine but it was actual lines. Came back to Rockville and they must have tossed the nozzles, removed them and went full on dump-spray because you could tell it was full-blast squirting the ground with tremendous overspray with white road.  Like come on now.  Maybe conserve a bit?  Sheesh.  Really makes you wonder. 

Interesting weather in Jefferson County in W Va. I got to see rain in CharlesTown, that mixed with snow then changed to all heavy snow, BIG flakes, that was BRIEF. A little accumulation on mulch there. Then as I drove over the mountain, the higher elevations got an inch to 2 inches, looked great there, then the ground cover lessened as i went southeast. pretty much played out on the west part of Rt 7.

I did manage a light fix lol.

Here in Dale City, some wet snow, a coating on the fence and some bushes.

Plows are out - you'd think we were in for a reprise of GB 16 lmao.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived