Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rtd208

February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Recommended Posts

000
NOUS41 KOKX 091349
PNSOKX
NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-101400-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
849 AM EST Fri Mar 9 2018

...Warmest February Day On Record in New York State...

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 was a remarkably warm day across the
Northeast portion of the country. So warm in fact, many daily high
temperature records were broken across the state of New York.
Multiple climate stations across the state reported record reports,
including four of the six first order climate stations in the New
York NY forecast area. At Central Park NY, LaGuardia NY, Newark NJ,
and Bridgeport CT, not only was the daily high temperature record
broken for that date, but these stations also broke the record for
high temperature for the month of February for their particular
location.

In addition to these local reports, it became apparent that this
particular day, February 21st 2018 was the warmest day at any
climate station in the entire state of New York.

Two local climate stations in the New York, NY forecast area
surpassed the state record for highest temperature for February. The
previous state record was 78 degrees set at Milbrook NY in 1985. On
February 21st, 2018, both LaGuardia NY and Shrub Oak NY reached 79
degrees, breaking the previous record.

These preliminary records may be matched or perhaps surpassed at
other New York climate sites, since observations are still being
researched and vetted.

All records are considered preliminary until made official by the
National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

000
NOUS41 KOKX 091349
PNSOKX
NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-101400-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
849 AM EST Fri Mar 9 2018

...Warmest February Day On Record in New York State...

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 was a remarkably warm day across the
Northeast portion of the country. So warm in fact, many daily high
temperature records were broken across the state of New York.
Multiple climate stations across the state reported record reports,
including four of the six first order climate stations in the New
York NY forecast area. At Central Park NY, LaGuardia NY, Newark NJ,
and Bridgeport CT, not only was the daily high temperature record
broken for that date, but these stations also broke the record for
high temperature for the month of February for their particular
location.

In addition to these local reports, it became apparent that this
particular day, February 21st 2018 was the warmest day at any
climate station in the entire state of New York.

Two local climate stations in the New York, NY forecast area
surpassed the state record for highest temperature for February. The
previous state record was 78 degrees set at Milbrook NY in 1985. On
February 21st, 2018, both LaGuardia NY and Shrub Oak NY reached 79
degrees, breaking the previous record.


These preliminary records may be matched or perhaps surpassed at
other New York climate sites, since observations are still being
researched and vetted.

All records are considered preliminary until made official by the
National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

$$

I was riding my bike a few minutes from there that afternoon and the dashboard thermo read 80 at the trailhead. In a couple of spots that are open to the south and sheltered on the north it hit 82. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I was riding my bike a few minutes from there that afternoon and the dashboard thermo read 80 at the trailhead. In a couple of spots that are open to the south and sheltered on the north it hit 82. 

I’ve had four cars with dashboard thermometers and have only had one that was ever reliable. The other 3 were always high anywhere from 1 to 5 degrees. It drove me nuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I was riding my bike a few minutes from there that afternoon and the dashboard thermo read 80 at the trailhead. In a couple of spots that are open to the south and sheltered on the north it hit 82. 

Sometimes those thermometers are off. NWS is very carefully reviewing a huge amount of data. It was a historically warm day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I’ve had four cars with dashboard thermometers and have only had one that was ever reliable. The other 3 were always high anywhere from 1 to 5 degrees. It drove me nuts. 

 

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Sometimes those thermometers are off. NWS is very carefully reviewing a huge amount of data. It was a historically warm day.

The one in this car is rarely off by more than 1 degree compared to stationary ones at banks etc. Most of the new ones are behind the front bumper where they are protected from direct sunlight and the cooling effects of wind and such. I do understand the lack of reliability relating to them though and really only use it as a reference point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×